AuthorTopic: [Feedback] [CC] Bolero: Fantasy Tactics, pixel art  (Read 40627 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [Feedback] [CC] FE style game sprites and animation

Reply #30 on: January 07, 2019, 11:10:21 pm
I think that's better!

Two related crits:
1. It's ambiguous whether the narrow strip along the edge of the steps is on the vertical or horizontal surface of the step. The highlight makes it look like it should be a vertical surface (with the highlight being the corner of the step), but the colours are the same as on the horizontal surface, so it looks horizontal.
2. The steps are darker than the floor and have comparable colours to the lighter of the walls, so they don't immediately stand out as a walkable surface. Lightening the horizontal surface of the steps should help.

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 11:37:11 pm
Duly noted! But I'm not sure how much longer I should be working on minute tile changes. Lots of other stuff to work on. I just took the time to update my "To Do" list of things that need to get done before I am confident in a working demo. And man, their's quite a bit. I'll just copy and paste the art part. Not sure how long this is going to take... probably a while lol

Background
DONE: been working on this for a bit. Not much more to do
A larger wall design over several tiles
a second carved figure other than the monk, maybe a third
a second road tile, maybe a third
Units
DONE: Already have the design of 2 of 3 finalized
One more complete unit
All purpose action animations (sword swing, raise glowing staff)
Movement animation
Color options for units, 1 for enemies,1-2 for allies
Character portraits for each color of each unique unit
Menus
DONE: Everything is pretty much placeholder, though I do have solid groundwork for how to make them, as    demonstrated
new menu font
new general purpose field menu
Targeting information display
fullscreen menu (stats, unit list, etc)
various symbols for stats
Title screen
logo
artwork
special effects
continue prompt
credits

All of this will be pixel art of the same resolution I've been working in so far. If anyone has suggestions or feedback on this, I'd love to hear it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:42:14 pm by falz »

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 05:48:38 pm
I've made some headway on some other aspects of development, but decided to return to the mage art. Here are before and after.

hooray for eyebrows! Waistband made slightly bigger, shading corrections in dress and hair, and face and chest changed

1/29/19 edit: I was gonna work on more systems, but I got sucked into working on this sprite again. Animation is hard! I think I'm becoming more satisfied with it now.

Updates on shading of skirt and animation of hair is much more fluid. Before and after
->

edit: I added a frame of pause in the middle to accentuate the flow, but it might look weird
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 05:13:47 pm by falz »

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 02:14:26 pm
This is a rough first draft of an attack animation. I'm still trying to figure out the movement but was wondering what you guys thought at the moment. I was thinking it might need some more frames in a couple spots, like its too fast. not sure. Hoping to get people's thoughts! :)

edit: eh, I realized this was not good for a generic attack animation. Still working on different concepts. I think this one might be better for some special sword attack.

edit: this is a quicker one for a generic attack. I think less unique sprite frames is probably better

edit: motion blur and a couple more frames, more edits
->->
edit: Started an idea for the mage. Not sure about the effect yet.
, or added effect , but seeing as how I'll be making actual spell effect animations, maybe minimal is better for casting:
edit: more in-between frames, wind-up on punch

Tried to add some flowing hair to mage casting, I wonder if it looks strange?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:33:52 am by falz »

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 01:31:59 am
The damage sprite for the Acolyte class. I'm not sure I really need to animate the damage visual. I wonder what you guys think?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #35 on: February 02, 2019, 02:04:21 am
I think a little animation's good (and maybe even some particles!) to really sell the damage.

If you just want a simple shake like this, think about doing it in-engine rather than as part of the animation itself. That way you could control the amount of shake more easily, and perhaps even have the shake amount depend on gameplay factors such as damage taken or weapon used. In addition, if you do it in-engine, you could add bespoke hit animations later and keep (or remove) the shake easily :D

As for the casting animation, it's probably best to keep the animation simple and effect-free so that it can be reused easily. That little bit of light in the mage's eyes helps sell the glowiness of the spell. If it would not be too complex, consider expanding that to illuminate more of the character for some spells! For example, if the casting poses are generally similar, you could bake the extra highlights into the spell animations themselves.

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: February 02, 2019, 08:39:16 pm
Yeah, I agree in general its better to utilize the game engine to do as much of the work for me as it can.

The animations for the spell effects I think will be unique for every spell with no reuse of assets, except maybe spells in a series like fire1->fire2->fire3. But for the demo I'm making there will only be like 3 spells. That casting animation will be used for all three. But I like the idea that the highlights and maybe even the hair gets more intense as the spells get more powerful! I might do that when I get there

Here are all the current versions of the Acolyte animations. I did the walking one today. There's work to be done still, but they are getting there! I gotta do the walk and hit for the Bandit too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:21:52 am by falz »

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 12:22:47 am
I'm trying to figure out how I can easily export a photoshop file's frame animation to a series of pngs automatically, without having to export every single frame, one by one. I'm thinking maybe making a gif out of the animation, then finding a way to split the gif into pngs... but I dunno. I just couldn't find a good way to do it in photoshop. Or maybe, is there a better pixel art animation software that has the functionality I need?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #38 on: March 03, 2019, 05:38:24 pm
I'm trying to figure out how I can easily export a photoshop file's frame animation to a series of pngs automatically, without having to export every single frame, one by one. I'm thinking maybe making a gif out of the animation, then finding a way to split the gif into pngs... but I dunno. I just couldn't find a good way to do it in photoshop. Or maybe, is there a better pixel art animation software that has the functionality I need?
dunno about photoshop, but I know aseprite has a feature for that. Might be in the free beta? not certain!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 01:04:07 am
in the timeline panel menu in photoshop: "flatten frames to layers" (only if you not already have every frame on a single layer)

file > export > layers to files

should do the trick i think

there are also some spritesheet scripts for photoshop, this one for example https://www.advena.me/photoshop-illustrator-sprite-sheet-creator/