AuthorTopic: [WIP]isometric "zombie" scene, for a personal project  (Read 239 times)

Offline Orbs

• View Profile

[WIP]isometric "zombie" scene, for a personal project

on: January 07, 2020, 04:43:17 am
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm actually a 3D artist in life, so pixel art is kinda new to me. This is I guess my first attempt at that art so I'm here to get some feedbacks, maybe ideas, or tips that could help me. Or generally how it feels, what works, what doesn't.

I while ago I had a game in mind, something along the lines of an action survival rpg, heavily story driven (fallout 1-2 style). Obviously I could've go for a 3d look, but I like the speed and flexibility pixel art gives me but also the retro look. I started this little scene as a test of how the game could look like.

The zombie is a bit temp, I made him to test aseprite that I bought recently (his animation is ultra fast haha XD) But I'm also curious about how I could improve readability, colors etc.

Thank you!

here's the zombie a bit slower  :lol:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:47:59 pm by Orbs »

Offline Orbs

• View Profile

Re: isometric "zombie" scene, for a personal project

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 12:42:47 am
is this post working?...

Offline Orbs

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]isometric "zombie" scene, for a personal project

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 11:13:00 pm
here's a bit my process for now, for the character:

I started testing two different scales, I went with the smaller dude (easier to handle in the long run)

then I made a 3/4 front view, that I can use as a guide to make a quick 3D model

this was my first pass, once I had a 3dmodel, I used it to redraw my character proportions, this is how he looked in my first test
I didn't quite like his head been so low, so I reworked the 3d model, and also tilted the head to look up more.
I ended up with this 3D model that I now use to make my Rotoscoping.

so this is how the "3d model" at the bottom left and spinning, compares to my original drawing (at the top). I'm quite happy with it, I think it capture my initial drawing pretty close. I'd be curious to know what you think about the turntuble, I feel like his head isn't perfect yet

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 11:36:06 am
Really great work so far, and that 3D to pixel art workflow's going to be so helpful with the perspective.

Only critique is a bit more contrast for the details on the characters, for instance the nose. Keep us posted on progress  ;D

Ah et tu es franšais ? Bienvenue  :)
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 05:14:50 pm
The 3D to 2D is an interesting workflow but I think it should be limited as a pixel-by-pixel guide. For instance, I am not fond of the long vertical lines and the side of the torso and the right leg. I prefer those areas on the older version. The perspective on the head does look improved though. Maybe use some selective outlining techniques to accentuate a curve in the leg?