AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C]Game Art - Operation: Tank Command  (Read 12317 times)

Offline JazzMaster

• View Profile
    • Jazz Software

[WIP][C+C]Game Art - Operation: Tank Command

on: May 17, 2015, 02:45:26 am
Hello :)
I've been making a series of Games called Operation: Tank Command.
With the third installment of my game, I wanted to refine my Art style and pixel art skills.

Here are some of the sprites and backgrounds in the upcoming game.

tips, suggestions and feedback on how to improve my art style will be very appreciated.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:02:46 am by JazzMaster »

Offline JazzMaster

• View Profile
    • Jazz Software

Re: [WIP][C+C]Game Art - Operation: Tank Command

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:03:38 am
Created a new forest tileset.
What do you guys think?

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 03:22:02 am
I like this new forest tileset better than the old one! I say keep experimenting and making some more grass/dirt tile sets and post them for advice.

There's a lot of stuff to comment on here. I'm sure someone else can give you better advice but here are my thoughts. I'd recommend you push the detail on some of these pieces further. For example, the warehouse, you can create more detail chimney stacks, create a small door on either side for people, maybe make a big sign over the warehouse saying something like "Ferris Air" or whatever you want.

I'm not entirely sure what the image is between the last tree and the large building. Is it a shack or a shed? I like how it's in perspective though. Maybe you can do that to the building too.

Offline JazzMaster

• View Profile
    • Jazz Software

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 03:55:32 am
I like this new forest tileset better than the old one! I say keep experimenting and making some more grass/dirt tile sets and post them for advice.

There's a lot of stuff to comment on here. I'm sure someone else can give you better advice but here are my thoughts. I'd recommend you push the detail on some of these pieces further. For example, the warehouse, you can create more detail chimney stacks, create a small door on either side for people, maybe make a big sign over the warehouse saying something like "Ferris Air" or whatever you want.

I'm not entirely sure what the image is between the last tree and the large building. Is it a shack or a shed? I like how it's in perspective though. Maybe you can do that to the building too.

Thank you for the feedback :)

You are correct. I felt the buildings did need more detail, but at the time I was not really sure what to add, thanks for the suggestions.
The shed looking thing is a tunnel, it looks more like it in game and I'll try adding the same perspective on the other foreground buildings.

I just made new leaves for the trees. I gave them more shape than the oval shape in the original.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:07:49 pm by JazzMaster »

Offline JazzMaster

• View Profile
    • Jazz Software

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 04:36:14 am
Just made a city scape. this is used as a background.

and new Buildings.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 10:24:14 am
i don't understand perspective forest tiles look like top down but the rest is side on?

there's too many pure black shapes and lines in the assets.
pure grey in buildings and sprites is ugly try for more interesting colours or at least offset the greys with some hues.
lose the single-pixel noise in the trees and try shading them as clumps of leaves.

with a few assets here you might as well do a mockup screenshot you'll probably get some good edits out of that.

Offline JazzMaster

• View Profile
    • Jazz Software

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 11:44:46 am
i don't understand perspective forest tiles look like top down but the rest is side on?

It's a Sidescroller, so the grass is on top. the soil is on the bottom

there's too many pure black shapes and lines in the assets.
pure grey in buildings and sprites is ugly try for more interesting colours or at least offset the greys with some hues.
lose the single-pixel noise in the trees and try shading them as clumps of leaves.
Everytime I try to give subtle hues to the grey buildings, they start to look weird same is true for when I try to draw leaves on the trees. I will keep at it though :)

with a few assets here you might as well do a mockup screenshot you'll probably get some good edits out of that.

I have an ingame screenshot if that can help visualize the art.

Offline JazzMaster

• View Profile
    • Jazz Software

Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 09:48:47 pm
Here's a Boss Enemy.

The Compartment the opens up then stays open then closes once the tank inside is dead.
What do you guys think?

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:05:59 pm
Hey JazzMaster, I think this boss cargo plane is your best work. I'm gonna echo what Decroded said already though. Right now most of your artwork is gray and shades of gray. It needs more color and I don't think you should use straight black to outline your artwork (unless maybe you're going for an NES type look).

Since this is a military plane, maybe you can add a star on the side or like shark teeth on the front like WW2 fighter planes. Maybe instead of gray, you can use like an Army green or something. Perhaps add small rivets on the side. Check out reference images of other bomber planes. If you plan on having that bomber fly through your mock up scene, maybe make the color darker with a tinge of blue.

Here's a tutorial on how to make trees. It should help you or give you some ideas on how to handle what Decroded was talking about...making clumps of leaves and shading them.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/301459768776837861/

Offline JazzMaster

• View Profile
    • Jazz Software

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 04:23:34 am
Hey JazzMaster, I think this boss cargo plane is your best work. I'm gonna echo what Decroded said already though. Right now most of your artwork is gray and shades of gray. It needs more color and I don't think you should use straight black to outline your artwork (unless maybe you're going for an NES type look).

Since this is a military plane, maybe you can add a star on the side or like shark teeth on the front like WW2 fighter planes. Maybe instead of gray, you can use like an Army green or something. Perhaps add small rivets on the side. Check out reference images of other bomber planes. If you plan on having that bomber fly through your mock up scene, maybe make the color darker with a tinge of blue.

Here's a tutorial on how to make trees. It should help you or give you some ideas on how to handle what Decroded was talking about...making clumps of leaves and shading them.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/301459768776837861/

Thank you very much for the tutorial link :) Im currently experimenting with colors and I'll post them here once I'm done.