AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C]Game Art - Operation: Tank Command  (Read 12393 times)

Offline JazzMaster

• View Profile
    • Jazz Software

Re: [WIP][C+C]Game Art - Operation: Tank Command

Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 07:53:20 am
I decided to revert back the enemy colors to grey (for now). I think I'll need to see how colors look ingame first.
but I did work on the outlines and shading.
I still feel I need more contrast, what do you guys think?

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 08:07:45 am
In your mock up scene, it's night time. I think you should change it to day time and add a light source(sun) in the scene. I might help you think about colors and shading in your scene.

Google "Military Warehouse" or something, examine it, get inspired by it and paint your warehouse that color. Shift away from the gray. Look at this building.

http://www.kconinc.com/Portals/0/Gallery/Album/21/Government-Contract-Storage-Warehouse-Facility-Temple-TX-3356.jpg

Do you think you can you add a gif or something of your animation? I'm actually in the process of trying animating some sprites and I found this link. Maybe this link can be of use to you.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 09:53:36 am
Quick edits of the tanks:

More contrast, more contrast, man! You want to see important stuff at a glance especially at this size.
One example is my fire tank here, it uses orange parts to distinguish it from the regular tank.
Shaded the tanks less round, more angular.
No outlines in this edit, just flat colors.
Shift those colors away from grey. Take the eyedropper tool to any photo of a tank and you'll see the same thing, no 100% greys.
You can see also there's some change in hue as you go from dark to light, which shows up in my edit.

Here's a good pixel ref for your tanks.

I hope you take some of our advice, because visually speaking, these current pixels are kinda sucking the life out of what looks like a fun RTS.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:26:49 am by pistachio »

Offline JazzMaster

• View Profile
    • Jazz Software

Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 01:48:15 am
About hue shifting.
I've been strugling with that for a while now. I tried using pre made palettes but were dissatisfied with them. Any tips on how to use hues correctly?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 10:39:28 am
About hue shifting.
I've been strugling with that for a while now. I tried using pre made palettes but were dissatisfied with them. Any tips on how to use hues correctly?

Why it keeps turning out that way is probably the result of another problem, the shading.

Shading on most stuff is mostly midtones (example by Arne).
Depending on how shiny a thing is, specular highlights are small to nil.
Some exceptions are chrome or foil stuff which reflect more, but real tanks are a dull painted/metal, so I think this here is not an exception.
What to get out of that is it's all about the value, so do value work before adding the hues.

Actually you can take a look at this post also.

The graph shows the hues in those examples are all over the place but it works because they got the values right.

What color something shows up as depends on how much of that color is used. In most of the thread examples (and Arne's example) that's mostly the midtone.
In the forum thread, outside of the midtone, stuff like the shadows/highlight hues are kind of balancing eachother out in a zigzag.
It might have a bias towards warm or cool. If it's not/less affected by that bias then that one color sticks out.
It's a more complex idea but you can get some cool effects using it.

My edit isn't as extreme with the colors. Actually it's pretty basic.
Green-grey is the midtone, but the highlights are more yellow. The combined effect is you get greenish-yellow.
Shadow color adds to that warmth.
Result: sprite that's readable, and looks colored.

Hope this does a good job at somewhat explaining colorization, if there's anything I left out maybe one of the other guys can add to this.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:00:57 am by pistachio »