AuthorTopic: KOS Loin Cloth Ork  (Read 18680 times)

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Re: KOS Loin Cloth Ork

Reply #30 on: July 16, 2006, 06:24:12 pm
I like that palette alot alex.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #31 on: July 16, 2006, 08:09:12 pm
One thing to keep in mind about capcom stuff (all games on any CPS system) is that the colours are 12bit, 4bits per channel, that's why some of the ramps are spaced as they are.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: July 17, 2006, 03:15:45 am
if what youre trying to accomplish is sf3 style, then you have to lose some of the volume youve created with the shadows, and put more into making nice defining lines that taper well.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 17, 2006, 11:22:50 pm
Well this topic has certainly grown.

Indigo: I'm surprised how in depth you went with your answer, very glad you could explain your choices. There are points you mentioned about the leg that I don't find correct considering pose, angle and forshortening, but I don't think it's necessary to bring it up. I actually didn't think that the shoulders could be bending back when I was writing. Now that you've mentioned it, the pose would make more sense.

Instead of discussing the pose and anatomy, I think I'll rather bring up the shading as it's been mentioned a lot. In my first post I pointed out that the shadows on SFIII sprites are usually blue in tone, taking into the account what the others have mentioned, I tried a little edit to make it fit with the style:

(It just accrued to me that the little edit has taken all day...)

I've here taken away most of the volume to create that somewhat cell-shaded look. The original sprites have little or no highlights on the skin. I've toned the greens to make them more yellow and then shaded blue shades in the shadows. There are sometimes dark lines separating the blue and yellow areas as seen in the Alex sprite (the guy in green pants), but it varies where they appear, so I didn't use it much. The hair for the characters are mostly very basic, but it can look a bit strange at times, so I just toned down the details on the top. While I was doing this, I noticed that the forarm somewhat lacks muscles compared to the bulgy upper arms. Don't know, just hit me. Once I shifted the colours, I've noticed that he looks a lot like Blanka from SFII in terms of colours and design *shrug*

I would say that your sprite compared to the SFIII ones is a lot more complex figurewise. I really love the SFIII shading, so I guess I'm kind of biased in that sense, but you've got a great feeling of volume here. Would be a shame to drop it.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 18, 2006, 12:58:38 am
MORE FUN

alexander

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: July 18, 2006, 01:08:20 am
third on top is my favorite alex
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #36 on: July 18, 2006, 01:35:29 am
What's the point of all these color edits? After Ptoing's initial edit they haven't really contributed much to Dan. Remember him?

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 18, 2006, 01:40:49 am
all good.  *lights a smoke on the flames*
lol@helm
It is because I don't have to. I may want to
sfIII has no "sekret techniques".  the most impressive thing about the capcom sprites is the size and quantity.  i certainly do not have the patience for such a task.

snake: good edit.

why does the loin cloth have shading on one half?  the lighting doesn't match any other part of the character, and the shadow certainly doesn't seem to be cast by any other parts of the ork.  If it is to be the shadow cast by the arm then it needs to take into account the fact that the forearm is raised, which would bring the bottom of the shadow across the full width of the loincloth (and retract the top of the shadow closer to the right edge).
The slightest hint of a muscle has volume shading yet the head casts no shadow to the chest from elevated lighting.

I think one of the points that could be taken from sfIII chars posted was the area just above knee, it shouldn't be shaded as deeply or at all.

yosh64

Reply #38 on: July 18, 2006, 07:57:54 pm
hey

why does the loin cloth have shading on one half?
@lief: As soon as I read this and looked at the sprite closer, I almost imediatly thought it was intentional... as I often notice this kinda thing in capcom sprites, as I think to simulate depth.

See it here (most noticable on his chest) on one of my favourite capcom sprites, The Hulk :).

edit
@Indigo: I also wanted to quickly add that I do very much like the current style of your sprite :).

the lighting doesn't match any other part of the character
@lief: Ahh sorry, I do see your point now :).

cyas
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:15:16 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Katakus

• Oops
    • View Profile
    • Katakus Forums

Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 02:20:06 am
i really like the design of the ork, but the colours seemed a little bland to me.  I made an edit

The right arm looks better in that one.
--------------------