AuthorTopic: KOS Loin Cloth Ork  (Read 18819 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: KOS Loin Cloth Ork

Reply #20 on: July 15, 2006, 07:37:19 pm
just so you guys know - i'm not ignoring your guys' c+c.  I'm in the middle of a 72 hour compo.  After it's done, i'll come back to this sprite. no worries

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 08:07:23 pm
your point about the Ibuki sprite couldnt be truer Wayuki.

I dont mean that Indigo should imitate what is done in Ibuki's sprite, only that he should analyze it to understand the very defining technique of SF3 style.

but I do have to disagree about SF3 vs Indigo's Ogre, I do like SF3 a lot better, specially Leo (although he is from Warzards so he is only partially SF3 style)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 08:12:56 pm by Conceit »

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 06:53:03 am
Leo looks nice, but I strongly dislike the shading and those fading outlines on Alex. The stance on all SF3 sprites is great, though.

yosh64

Reply #23 on: July 16, 2006, 09:44:05 am
hey

I must say... these are just my thoughts of the SF3 style.

I think the SF3 style has very visible defining lines (I think this varies a bit on different sprites), which I think is a very hard task to make look great, and it also makes their sprites look very clean/cartoony, which I think may have some people beleive (maybe just non pixelers???) they aren't so advanced??? i dunno :-\. I thinks they pull this off as their lines and lighting are so precise and well thought, I thinks it's like one of the hardest styles to pulloff and make look great.

Anyhows sorry that I can't offer you some proper advise on accomplishing the SF3 style :-\, but hopefully my thoughts have something to them???.

cyas
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 10:06:49 am by yosh64 »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #24 on: July 16, 2006, 10:05:36 am
Without wanting to draw this thread out of focus, whereas the design in sfIII ( which I've never studied before ) is 'interesting' anime-style capcom stuff, the actual pixelling isn't anything to write home about. Lots of frames, though.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #25 on: July 16, 2006, 04:32:37 pm
why is it that you think you dont have to back up your thoughts with arguments? if you're gonna touch up on a subject dont just make a opinionated statement because the subject is offtopic, if you're gonna make it an offtopic comment atleast make it something more than a biased view.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 16, 2006, 05:01:56 pm
Camus let's all just get back on topic.

The Orc is great, but could do with alittle more hue changing and blending between the tones (Especially in the chest region.)

Even though it doesn't make much difference to the eyes, it's kind of strange to have the fists facing like that, it makes the left arm which is supposed to be in the background appear much longer than it is.

Oh, and the left eye needs to be lighter, it just looks odd with how it is.

Pretty good work overall.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: July 16, 2006, 05:29:16 pm
why is it that you think you dont have to back up your thoughts with arguments?

It is because I don't have to. I may want to. And I don't want to go into detail in this case, because this isn't a commercial critique over sfIII, but about Indigo's sprite. In light of that I knew I was posting oot, I decided to make my comment brief. Actual meritable critique of the sprite in question has been handled by the awesome Snake post and ptoing and the other people talking about colors. The reason my comment existed in the first place - and I don't have to explain myself but since you were rude about it here it is - is that regardless of whether Indigo failed or succeeded in matching the style, your explanation seemed to imply that these SFIII sprites have specific sekret pixelling techniques about them that Indigo should look out for, which is in my opinion a wild-goose chase, as these sprites, as well animated as they are, do not have any special tech attached to them. A secondary lightsource from below now is a 'technique'? You have - in my opinion - a long history of inventing techniques where there is just capable design and pixel art skill in application, therefore I thought it worthwhile to mention that in this case there isn't even much of capable pixelling to talk of. As I said, good design, lots of frames. Average (for pro, of course) pixel skill. Am I the only one who prefers the pixelling tech in Indigo's sprite over those Capcom ones? Even if so, this is my opinion and I stand by it.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #28 on: July 16, 2006, 05:43:44 pm
if you think I'm making the whole secon lightrource thing a bigger deal than what it is then say it right away, it's insulting that you just come in here and disregard what I'm saying whitout actually exposing your arguments to be countered, as if you were too important to discuss such things with me.

You may not use profane words or other usual means of being "an ass" but I think you have developed a pretty complex way of being an ass whitout using any of the usual channels.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 05:55:48 pm

i had fun
alexander