AuthorTopic: KOS Loin Cloth Ork  (Read 18834 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

KOS Loin Cloth Ork

on: July 11, 2006, 06:44:07 am
okay, as i was working on Stout, I finally realized what was wrong with my green guy i started a waaAAAaay long time ago.  I'm sure i'll get over this loin-cloth phase of mine that i'm going through....oh well.  I think it's finished.  Could be a bit more saturated maybe.

turns out that the original design was way off-balanced and weighted the picture heavily on one side.  It wasn't pleasing to the eye.  Once i flipped it horrizontally, it was easy to tell.  Our brains automatically create imaginary lines when we look at something; most of the time, subconsciously.  With the new posture, it creates a nice 's' curve that centralizes the weight and balance - as opposed to my old one with was just a straight line. Examples of what i mean below.

C+C  ....  now time for a portrait

EDIT:  Also wanted to mention i was trying to match the 'street fighter 3' style
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 08:03:49 am by Indigo »

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Re: KOS Loin Cloth Ork

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 08:03:03 am
I'd agree with the SF3 Comment, looks fairly similair style. So great touch there. Wonderful palette/ idea / pose..I think this looks great so far.. I really love the detail on the hair.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 08:05:38 am
There's definitely a lot of improvement here since last time. There's still a few laws in the pose that could be fixed up to accommodate the nice shading.
I tested your characters proportions and made this little example:

Even though you've fixed him up quite a bit, he's still not quite in balance. As you can see in the fixed trace, his right foot should be more to the right to balance his weight. His knees are also too high compared to the pelvis and should be lowered. His right shoulder is missing somewhat when considering what huge neckmuscles he has. The right arm is also leaning toward the left and could be tilted to the right to get the same direction as the left arm, even though it isn't disproportional.

I find that the character has a somewhat mixed pose at the moment, so I added the two poses on the right just to test it. The way he is now, he could be 'strutting'/leaning back or he could be leaning forward. I'm just mentioning it though. The pose works fine once you get the balance back in order.

One final thing. Streetfighter 3 sprites are mostly characterized (IMO) by having the darkest shades in a blue tone.

OK. That's my view of things at least. Hope I didn't pick too much at it.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 09:34:16 am
First let me start off by thanking you, snake, for the time and effort you put into your C+C.  The following isn't for the sake of bashing in any way, but instead are things that i believe are valid arguments.  I've noticed, in some form or another, the things you have said while i was creating this peice, but chose to do otherwise for very specific reasons.  let me explain...

here is the skeleton you traced of mine plus your edited skeleton to the right of it.

lets start off with the legs:
there are two things you did wrong or didn't realise when tracing my image to get that skeleton.  Firstly, you drew the hip line a bit low which then exaggerates the shortness of the upper legs, but this is only the minor issue.  Secondly - when looking at your traced skeleton, one can easily say that the upper legs look too short, however, those lines are not taking into account fore-shortening.  Since they are nothing but lines, the eye can't easily comprehend the foreshortening.  I have drawn the two leg scenarios (from the traced skeleton + your 'fixed' one) you have presented from your skeleton in a side-view perspective.  Now to support my case, we'll just be doing a little triangle mathematics.  As you can see, with the upper leg being more horizontal in this scenario, the actual height that you'd be able to see from a front view is roughly 24 pixels, while the lower leg - being more verticle - we would see about 32.  now in your edit, you changed the posture that the legs are in, which just about flips the amount of pixels seen respectively; the upper leg now has 32 visible pixels from a frontal view and the lower leg now has 24. The actual length of the leg segments remained roughly constant, but the visible amount of them does not.  Your edit is not wrong by any means.  It just shows a different possible pose the legs can be in.  Either way is a right way, but saying that my upper legs are too short is not a very solid argument to give reason to change it.  But given if i was to change the legs according to your edit - alot of your other balance and posture critiques/edits would make more sense. also notice (at the bottom left of the image) that when adding cylinder forms according to the skeleton you provided, it doesn't look half as bad as without them.  This is because we could comprehend the foreshortening more easily. I will give you this, though:  The actual design of the sprite may seem more appealing if the lower-legs were shortened.  and also i'll have to play around with what you said about moving his left (our right) foot more to the right.

The arms:
As i agree with you about his left arm - like you said, it's not exactly wrong the way i have it.  I dont find it important to change it since that arm is nicely designed as its currently placed.

The shoulder:
2 things i'd have to argue about with the shoulder.  Firstly, I actually had the shoulder sticking more out, as you suggested, in an older version of this sprite.  The reason I had changed it was pretty simple.  I used the horrizontal-flip-test to see what was looking arong with the sprite and noticed that it was the shoulder that wasn't following the perspective of the rest of my sprite and was throwing it partially off-ballance. (see bottom right of image)  I shrunk it a bit to fix this problem.  Secondly - i imagine the ork sort of arching his back in a concave manner while roaring.  That was my intention - but if i didn't portray that well enough, that might be one problem.  But with that in mind, this would also cause the shoulder to be a bit more hidden given perspectives.  See the top-view sketch i drew to demonstrait what i was aiming for with the back.

lastly - the two pose sketches you provided are good, but aren't exactly what i was going for.  the first one is a bit too stiff, and the other is a bit too rag-doll.  I was aiming for a sort of tense/roar type stance as mentioned earlier.  I'll also keep in mind the thing you said about the blue shade in SF3 style.

now let me reiterate that i'm not trying to be a prick and just give a bunch of reasons why not to edit my sprite.  I'm not trying to do the whole "i'm right, your wrong - no matter what you say" thing.  But i do believe these are valid points that I have.  If someone else (a well credited one, i might add) where to come here and second the things you say, i'll be glad to give em a try.

alrighty, i'm out for now

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 10:01:00 am
Good one, but not enough contrast, does not pop and too straight ramps which does not help volume.

Small edit, same amount of colours, used the white of the teeth as highlights on the skin and merged the lightest cloth and hair colour and used the free slot for the highlight colour on the hair.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 10:04:24 am by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 10:12:12 am
really nice edit ptoing, but the contrast issue is always a matter of style for me!
unless he is planing to fit it with the kos background!
Just opinion! and good work indigo.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 10:28:09 am
Silver, I agree that low saturation can be a style choice, but low contrast should not be. And here it's more about contrast than anything else. Contrast is very important in games to make things easily discernible.

So here another edit. Same colourmerges and but the saturation on each color is the same or actually lower than in Indigos example, but has more contrast.

original --- edit 2 : more contrast --- edit 1 : more saturation and contrast

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 10:56:23 am
AHA!
thanks ptoing you made it clear for me!

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 01:26:27 pm
low saturation can be a style choice, but low contrast should not be

Unless you are Kon. =)

Indigo + snake -- thank you very much for the technical discussion. It is nice to read something more in-depth for a change (as opposed to, say, the sort of posts that I make)

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 06:53:35 pm
Well, I can't say that i think that all of kon's desaturated stuff works all that well.

Anyway, because i was bored after work i made these

All use colours from the c64 palette, so each is less that 16 colours out of a fixed 16 colour palette :D
Further proof that the c64 palette is awesome beyond comprehension.

The 5th one is a bit crazy but i still like him, he looks kinda magicy, like a jinn or something.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:22:49 pm by ptoing »