AuthorTopic: pixel art job?  (Read 23935 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: pixel art job?

Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 11:04:19 am
Well thank you for your kind words, but as junkboy says, have a positive outlook. You should absolutely contact them.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 11:45:15 am
Have this image in my head of all the best pixellers working under one roof together, bouncing ideas of each other, learning new things from each other, bringing out a constant stream of high quality, fun, very playable 2D games with great pixel art doing great business on all the major formats, having fun doing it and keeping proper pixel art in games alive forever...  Is a happy image.  Would be nice if it became a reality someday :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:12:55 pm by Carnivac »
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 12:16:07 pm
You never know. For me it's more a matter first and foremost of survival. I need a job to survive, I'm going to be an economic immigrant, things are pretty tough here.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 12:42:52 pm
I checked out your portfolio (epic!) and I don't think it would be hard for you to join an indie dev team. The problem is finding one where it's members aren't working "for free until game is released".
Also, if you'd branch out and do vector art you'd have a higher chance of finding a job for a mobile game company. In a way it's a lot like pixel art, but it's also kinda the opposite.

A kickstarter would also be really cool, I'm sure a lot of indie developers would be interested in paying for art assets.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 12:44:52 pm
Am struggling to make my CV look at all respectful.  Those many years of health problems led to some really big gaps which put off a lot of potential employers.  Is one reason why whenever I actually find a job around these parts I can even even apply for (which is almost never) I've got little chance of getting it when other people have a much fuller work history.  Some employers actual responses have been along the lines of "well if it happened once, it can happen again", despite the fact I'm not in that environment anymore which led to me get so ill physically and mentally.  And my age makes things awkward as I don't qualify for a lot of the help and support they provide younger people with.  CV's seem to be all about the past, not really much to do with what I can do now...

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 01:13:12 pm
Can you polyfiller ugly gaps with "self employed"?  I wouldn't advocate lying, but if avoids unfair discrimination... 

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 01:20:59 pm
Well you seem super-qualified for this job from seeing your portfolio. I understand your worry about your CV and such, but you can alleviate that through the interview. Just be truthful and prepared for when they ask about it.

Other than that, maybe you shouldn't worry too much about the stuff you can't do anything about? That could easily turn into a vicious cycle of not trying and getting more stressed I think.

Anyways, best of luck to both youse :)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 01:34:04 pm
Carnivac: I don't know what kind of employers you've been in contact with before, but I find that in these jobs (art/creative) your boss will be more concerned with how good you are and how consistently and quickly you can turn stuff in. So what if you have gaps in your CV? You went through some shit, whatever. What's important is that you've made cool shit and that you can make cool shit for them now.

As a side note, not to make you paranoid or anything, but I'd be a bit wary about leaving an online trail of me discussing various problems I've had, because your name will be googled.

Helm: It's awful that the situation in Greece has forced you to a decision like that, but I hope and think that maybe something good will come out of it in the end!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 01:39:07 pm
Yes, from my experience what matters most is 1. timely work, good work ethic and 2. working well with others. I have gaps too because I was simply employed in a different field in the middle (comics). I don't think anyone cares about that too much.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 02:36:27 pm
Thanks for the kind comments and advice, folks.  :)

Can you polyfiller ugly gaps with "self employed"?  I wouldn't advocate lying, but if avoids unfair discrimination...

Actually that wouldn't be lying as such.  Thanks for reminding me.  I was technically self-employed as a freelance pixel artist through some of it and picking and choosing which projects I felt I could devote time to and produce of a sufficient level of quality.  The 'Atomica' album cover work I did counts as that and the guy who paid me for that work said he would give me a good reference back then.

@Helm  Sorry things have gotten that bad over there.  I feel weird for even considering applying for this job when it sounds like you need it as bad if not more than I do.   Ideally I would hope we both get employed.  I feel I could learn a lot from you as an artist.  I may not always agree with your views and choices but I do respect you and find you're someone very talented and skilled that anybody would be lucky to learn from.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:39:13 pm by Carnivac »