AuthorTopic: pixel art job?  (Read 24024 times)

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

pixel art job?

on: May 02, 2013, 09:11:43 am
Is it still possible in this age to do pixel art for a fulltime job, the kind where you get to go to an office and have work colleagues and such?  I'm just really wanting to relocate and find a new job but I'm not particularly skilled at much and due to the health issues I had for many years the work section of my CV is very unappealing to most potential employers. 
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: pixel art job?

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:43:02 am
I'm gonna guess no.  Most studios seem to be looking for generalists at the moment (anecdotal, but seems that way). Pixel skills can't hurt, but I think it'll be such a small part of your roll for 99% of projects you'd work on at a studio... If pixel skills were necessary for a project I imagine it'd be easier to outsource to freelancers or short term contractor. 

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 01:21:54 pm
You have to join an indie dev company. Minecraft hired a pixel guy recently for their next games for instance. But pixel art for big companies, I guess you can forget it. Now it's indie or mobile dev...
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:25:31 pm
Yeah, figured it was mostly just freelance now and that pixellers need to be proficient in other art techniques too. Which I am really not.  Never mind.  Just trying to find a way out of this shitty little dead end town...

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:55:27 pm
just bite the bullet man, learn some  photoshop, illustrator, AE...et al. You know plenty and really, learning other software might be tedious but it's not really hard. you can set up palletes to make things feel more familiar in PS and AI if you want to.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:02:36 pm
It's not that.  I already know how to use photoshop and all that.  I'm just not remotely interested in 2D game art that isn't low resolution pixel art.  Never have been.  Bit of a retro purist that way I suppose.  I was just curious if there were still fulltime jobs in that field but if not then I'll look elsewhere.  Thanks though. 

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 06:40:22 pm
I imagine, with that attitude, you probably wouldn't've been happy working on someone else's project under someone else's art direction, 9 hours a day, 5 days a week anyway; even if it happened to be low res.  I realise that sounds super negative because of the 'with that attitude' phrase, but I don't mean it negatively, more observationally; and some of the best turn this attitude into a huge positive by starting their own studios or projects... Much harder than being a 9-6er tho!  Still, you're certainly talented enough, if that was something that appealed to you. 

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 07:16:47 pm
Exactly.
You could make a game on your own or with a friend and try to get funded.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 09:05:36 pm
Thanks.  Don't really want to risk making things worse for myself by trying to start up a studio or something.  I doubt my gaming tastes would do well in this age of casual gaming and annoying touchscreens...  I'm looking for a job that would definitely and regularly pay the rent on a new home in a nice town that has SOMETHING in it.  I'm finding myself feeling very trapped and alone in this town I'm in at moment especially now that, for the first time since mid-2011, I'm not in any theatre productions so I'm finding myself with a lot of free time and it's driving me crazy.  Just want to have a good job, make some money, learn to drive, do other the bajillion things on my list I need the first few things I mentioned to be able to do.   Ah well.  I keep checking the housing lists and hoping something cheap but suitable will pop up soon.  Cheers all.  :)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 09:12:33 pm
It happens from time to time, but more rare these days.  I've been lucky enough to sustain myself on purely full-time on-site pixel art gigs up until recently (first gameloft, then Glu Mobile, then A Bit Lucky).  Everything changed as soon as the iPhone hit the market.  The mobile gaming industry was one of the last places that truly NEEDED pixel art expertise.  Phone technology chugged along quite slowly until the iPhone, then BOOM, high-res 2D and 3D everywhere.  The very last pixel project I was involved in was Lucky Train - a facebook social game.  The only reason that happened was because the CCO had nostalgia for it - and that's really the only reason it's done at all anymore.  The Nintendo DS is such old technology that games still use it sometimes.  Most notably Wayforward has been a champion of *good* pixel art, but even their artistic needs are changing lately.  There's also the occasional oddball like Sifteo, which has invented their own platform that requires pixel art.  Just keep your eyes open and get lucky.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:38:04 pm
You're UK-based, right Carnivac?

Try your luck here: http://www.nitrome.com/jobs/game_artist.html

Seriously, do it.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 09:56:45 pm
'Be a keen games player and in particular play lots of retro or 2d games.

Knowledge of frame based animation skills in Photoshop,ProMotion or equivelant.

Examples of good bitmap animation skills that show a competence for game animation (such as walk cycles).

Important notice! Before you apply to a position, please make sure that you fulfill the following:
You are at least 18 years old, you are available for work in London, UK, or willing to relocate there,
and you have a CV and portfolio relevant to the position.'

Sounds ideal!  I think I may enquire...   Thanks!

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 10:22:26 pm
Oh, thought I'd mentioned Nitrome - musta not submitted my edit.  Their stuff's very nice and their office is near my workplace - lets get lunch if you interview!   :lol:

I know a couple of people that worked there, and they didn't seem to have anything positive to say about it...  :(  But I think it might have changed a fair bit since then. Certainly worth a shot anyway!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 11:05:50 pm
I'm also hoping for that nitrome position, as the situation in Greece has become too dire for me and I'll be moving to the UK come September.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 07:10:47 am
i wouldn't stand a chance then...  :(

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 07:19:46 am
[fantasy]
If you can't find yourself a proper job, then I'd like to think (probably wishfully) that crowd funding the development of a series of game art kits for hobbyist/independent game developers could earn a basic living for a pixel artist with the right skills and some business savvy.
You've certainly got the pixel skills to pull something like that off if anyone does.
Keep the goal realistic, offering a personal license to each backer over a reasonable pledge level with a stretch goal for a popular public license to get the cultural commons and open source types on side.
And if one of your backers want to pay an artist for further bespoke assets to go along with one of your kits then you'd be the obvious first choice
You could possibly even ransom off some old work (for example every thing in you're portfolio thread is mouth-watering) just fill in a few gaps and package it up.
But then this is all just my optimistic imaginings.
[/fantasy]

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 08:40:16 am

Oh, nonsense. You're a wonderful artist.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 09:13:49 am
They'd be lucky to have either of you   :y:

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 09:22:48 am

Oh, nonsense. You're a wonderful artist.

Maybe compared to some, but you're pretty much regarded as one of the pixel community's 'gods' the way I see it.  Certainly you have a very high level of status and respect among the majority of folks interested in pixel art.  And you have far superior traditional drawing/art skills to me and you have recent commercial work history and experience if I remember correctly?  The Aliens game I saw tilework from?  Things that certainly give you the edge if an employer had to pick between us.   

I'm still going to email them anyways.  Maybe I can make the tea...

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 09:54:09 am
Having a good portfolio is one thing, the other is delivering the art test (I'm assuming they have one) promptly and to spec, not to mention interviewing well. Having a positive outlook and easy-going personality goes a long way in lading a job anywhere.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 11:04:19 am
Well thank you for your kind words, but as junkboy says, have a positive outlook. You should absolutely contact them.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 11:45:15 am
Have this image in my head of all the best pixellers working under one roof together, bouncing ideas of each other, learning new things from each other, bringing out a constant stream of high quality, fun, very playable 2D games with great pixel art doing great business on all the major formats, having fun doing it and keeping proper pixel art in games alive forever...  Is a happy image.  Would be nice if it became a reality someday :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:12:55 pm by Carnivac »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 12:16:07 pm
You never know. For me it's more a matter first and foremost of survival. I need a job to survive, I'm going to be an economic immigrant, things are pretty tough here.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 12:42:52 pm
I checked out your portfolio (epic!) and I don't think it would be hard for you to join an indie dev team. The problem is finding one where it's members aren't working "for free until game is released".
Also, if you'd branch out and do vector art you'd have a higher chance of finding a job for a mobile game company. In a way it's a lot like pixel art, but it's also kinda the opposite.

A kickstarter would also be really cool, I'm sure a lot of indie developers would be interested in paying for art assets.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 12:44:52 pm
Am struggling to make my CV look at all respectful.  Those many years of health problems led to some really big gaps which put off a lot of potential employers.  Is one reason why whenever I actually find a job around these parts I can even even apply for (which is almost never) I've got little chance of getting it when other people have a much fuller work history.  Some employers actual responses have been along the lines of "well if it happened once, it can happen again", despite the fact I'm not in that environment anymore which led to me get so ill physically and mentally.  And my age makes things awkward as I don't qualify for a lot of the help and support they provide younger people with.  CV's seem to be all about the past, not really much to do with what I can do now...

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 01:13:12 pm
Can you polyfiller ugly gaps with "self employed"?  I wouldn't advocate lying, but if avoids unfair discrimination... 

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 01:20:59 pm
Well you seem super-qualified for this job from seeing your portfolio. I understand your worry about your CV and such, but you can alleviate that through the interview. Just be truthful and prepared for when they ask about it.

Other than that, maybe you shouldn't worry too much about the stuff you can't do anything about? That could easily turn into a vicious cycle of not trying and getting more stressed I think.

Anyways, best of luck to both youse :)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 01:34:04 pm
Carnivac: I don't know what kind of employers you've been in contact with before, but I find that in these jobs (art/creative) your boss will be more concerned with how good you are and how consistently and quickly you can turn stuff in. So what if you have gaps in your CV? You went through some shit, whatever. What's important is that you've made cool shit and that you can make cool shit for them now.

As a side note, not to make you paranoid or anything, but I'd be a bit wary about leaving an online trail of me discussing various problems I've had, because your name will be googled.

Helm: It's awful that the situation in Greece has forced you to a decision like that, but I hope and think that maybe something good will come out of it in the end!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 01:39:07 pm
Yes, from my experience what matters most is 1. timely work, good work ethic and 2. working well with others. I have gaps too because I was simply employed in a different field in the middle (comics). I don't think anyone cares about that too much.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 02:36:27 pm
Thanks for the kind comments and advice, folks.  :)

Can you polyfiller ugly gaps with "self employed"?  I wouldn't advocate lying, but if avoids unfair discrimination...

Actually that wouldn't be lying as such.  Thanks for reminding me.  I was technically self-employed as a freelance pixel artist through some of it and picking and choosing which projects I felt I could devote time to and produce of a sufficient level of quality.  The 'Atomica' album cover work I did counts as that and the guy who paid me for that work said he would give me a good reference back then.

@Helm  Sorry things have gotten that bad over there.  I feel weird for even considering applying for this job when it sounds like you need it as bad if not more than I do.   Ideally I would hope we both get employed.  I feel I could learn a lot from you as an artist.  I may not always agree with your views and choices but I do respect you and find you're someone very talented and skilled that anybody would be lucky to learn from.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:39:13 pm by Carnivac »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 03:26:38 pm
Eh, that's capitalism, not charity. Don't feel weird. Life is weird enough as it is.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 03:34:00 pm
Thanks for the kind comments and advice, folks.  :)

Actually that wouldn't be lying as such.  Thanks for reminding me.  I was technically self-employed as a freelance pixel artist through some of it and picking and choosing which projects I felt I could devote time to and produce of a sufficient level of quality.  The 'Atomica' album cover work I did counts as that and the guy who paid me for that work said he would give me a good reference back then.

I thought that may be the case.  :y: 

Offline tim

• View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 05:31:30 pm
We should maybe create a company called pixelation with all of us and create the best pixel art games all together  :P
Founder of Odd Tales

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 08:19:06 pm
hahaha. I can certainly get behind that feeling Tim. god knows I dreamed about it for years and years...and then did nothing about it :p

You guys think pixelation might have enough reputation to get a game like that kickstarted?
then again even if it did the problem is the same as  the one we have with getting new challenges done:
What is needed is someone with the conviction to get it done, someone who will do all the work and boring (to us artists) organizing to see it trough.

Carnivac, Since about the middle of the year last year I've been..biting the bullet. Just going out knowing my portfolio isnt much and doing what work. I think I've survived because I forced myself to beeasy to work with, timely and flexible. I dont know if I've done a perfect job of that, but the intention to do that is clear to my employers and that has been enough for me to survive.

I am the guy who cant make a crit without suggesting the whole piece be redone...how do you think I feel working a regular design job with designs that arent even mine, no control over art direction and working with whatever program is required for the job....even if I dont know said program?
That has been my job for a while. I used to say I "knew" photoshop before it but really I had only used it sparingly, I could not do a great variety of things with it, but working this regular design job has given me the chance to do a greater variery of work with it and touch upon programs I would never have worked with otherwise ( I H-A-T-E ILLUSTRATOR ). I've learnt I can adapt far more than I thought I could..and even have fun with it from time to time :p

I feel like while I got great oportunities at pixelation working jobs online since I was 18, I also wasted them by becoming too fixed in the aesthetics, and I think there was a bit of denialism there, thinking getting one gig or two meant I didnt have to expand as an artist and learn more mediums and techniques.

Honestly, I think there was also an element of not wanting to create something original. When I recopilated my work I realized my best pieces were c&c edits of someone else's art that I took much furhter than they ever did XD cant use that for portfolio! it was my way of sticking to editing sprites and not creating my own characters.

I think what we should be doing is what is in the spirit of the Low Spec board, taking whatever we learnt here and seeing if we can adapt it to other mediums and programs, you can work with just solid color layers in photoshop and have a pretty similar experience to pixeling while just doing normal illustration, and you can also use palletes in vector art while sticking to a grid, and have a similar outcome.

That's it from camus..as verbose as ever :p

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 09:14:52 pm
Thanks but you seem under the impression in all these years I haven't tried vectors, 3D, voxels, Flash, whatever....  I have.  Several times whether way back at college during that tedious Art & Design course or just in my own time downloading programs off the internet trying to keep myself occupied during some bad times.  Not only was I not very good at them, I simply didn't care to become good at them.  I don't get the same enjoyment about of them like I do with low res pixel art either creating them or viewing them in games.  I don't even care much for non-pixel art elements in otherwise pixelly games such as alpha transparent lighting/glow effects.  I've used them in the past myself and eventually got rid of them, and cut down my palette sizes considerably too (and I'm somewhat embarrased about some of my old work from 10 or so years ago that wastefully used excessive colours).  And that doesn't mean I'm a fan of the rather simplistic or minimalistic pixel art I've seen used in indie games of the past few years.  I like trying to get the most out of small sprites without having to compensate too much and I've always found it somewhat fascinating how a small bunch of squares can be used to represent all sorts of things.  Other art forms and techniques simply hold no interest to me (but then neither does large scale pixel art).  Sorry if that sounds weird or geeky or whatever.  That's just how it is.  I'm not an artist.  I just like doing the pixel stuff.   Not that it's my only interest either (I have a lot of others such as theatre, learning guitar, helping out at the schools ).  Just when it comes to video game graphics.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:17:45 pm by Carnivac »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 05:08:07 am
I wasnt really trying to imply anything about you, just trying to be honest about my own experience :p

What I was trying say was that once I had to use all this software for the job, I found I could adapt to way more than I thought I could. Trying a program in  my free time to see if it pleased my taste or felt good to use was very different to getting the best results possible before the deadline. I dont even know what's my point with this

Dont take this as me telling you what to do, I'm just trying to share, this is the thing I always do making people feel awkward. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with this kind of thing and I try to give something useful out of my struggle.

Good luck to you, good luck to Helm...I was pretty shocked too, to hear things were so bad in Greece
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:38:09 am by Conceit »

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 07:09:03 pm
Hm..this is a bit strange. I Assume by now that some of you guys have made your own games and partnered with a programmer for ios or android app and earned some good cash along with it. I mean the skill level of the vets here are pretty high and I believe a LOT of gamers want some of those pixel goodness with their roguelike, tower defense games, kairosoft type, terraria type sandbox game etc.  Then kickstarted along with reddit/gaf's exposure, I imagine it will be amazing. Yeah some of you might say I'm probably dreaming but this sure is possible with all the talent I've seen here.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 05:59:07 am
Agreed, I immediately thought of Nitrome the minute I saw the first post.

Even if you don't get the job right away, it's good getting in touch with them as they might grab you later on.

I spent two whole years actively looking for work and came VERY close several times, but then again living outside of EU didn't help one bit.
Companies that need full-time pixel artists are quite rare nowadays, but all the experience from pixel art can easily be applied to game art in general.

Just aim for smaller studios, that would be my advice.

Also don't fret about your portfolio or CV too much, there is no 'right' way of doing things.
Just showing what you can do is the whole point. Whoever needs your skills will be able to recognise them.

P.S.
I am glad to share my dramatic experience in case you think it might help you, so just send me a PM or better yet email me at ilkkke on yahoo.
i

Offline Cage

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 11:49:44 am
Have this image in my head of all the best pixellers working under one roof together, bouncing ideas of each other, learning new things from each other, bringing out a constant stream of high quality, fun, very playable 2D games with great pixel art doing great business on all the major formats, having fun doing it and keeping proper pixel art in games alive forever...  Is a happy image.  Would be nice if it became a reality someday :)

Don't worry! Once I'm done with my time machine, I can take all of you guys back to the late 80's for a few years stay - so we can work on game art in the Amiga/PC-Dos era ;)

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #39 on: May 07, 2013, 12:14:28 pm
Seriously though, these are good times for pixel art, retros game are quite in, and the indie scene is thriving.
It's just that being on a payroll for full-time pixelling is very rare.
i

Offline tim

• View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:45 pm
Why do you all want full time positions ? Freelancing is fine.
Founder of Odd Tales

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 09:05:57 pm
For me it's a matter of stability so I can make plans for my future that extend further than this month's rent.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 09:21:12 pm
Stability is one part of it. A big part. The other for me, would be that working in house thrusts you into an environment where other artists are doing the same thing as you, so you have a lot to learn/inspire from each other, and the camaraderie that comes with that.

Of course if all else fails, this site can  be a surrogate to supply some of that as well, but the in person interaction version of it can go a long way.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 09:25:59 pm
Why do you all want full time positions ? Freelancing is fine.

Freelancing is pretty hard.  I've been freelancing here and there for about 10 years, and nowhere near confident enough to quit my day job.  Carnivac was pretty clear about wanting to move cities, that's definitely not something anyone can afford off the bat without something a bit more solid than a handful of potential short contracts.  Your reply seemed a little bit dismissive.

Offline tim

• View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #44 on: May 08, 2013, 02:00:27 pm
Freelancing is a real full time job.

If you are freelance, you have to commit to being a freelance : having a website, developping relationships, having strong work ethic, make your name known…
It's very different than doing some freelance at night.

To me it seems a lot more "stable" to be self-sufficient actually, and working for a lot of different clients, than being in one company which can close tomorrow and then you'll have to start everything over and maybe never find another job. We saw so many studios closing these years, it's terrifying, I don't understand how it can be considered "stable" whereas as freelance you can't drown if you're good. A very few companies need pixel art every day, but a lot of companies need pixel art just sometimes, that's why they hire freelance artists when they need, and that's how freelance artists jump from a client to another where they're needed.

Of course your revenue will not be as steady, but it stabilizes over time and you will also have incredible months that will help to not be worry during the bad ones. I'm not even mentionning free time, liberty, ability to work at home, having the time to learn & improve yourself, and all the other benefits of being freelance. Of course if you already have a family it may be too late to start freelancing right now and take that kind of risk, but actually my father did it with 3 children, became a well known freelance photographer in Paris now and everything's ok : he's a lot happier and more free than when he was DJ before, working at night in unhealthy conditions.

It's just possible. "No risk, no reward" I would say.
You have to think big if you want real changes in your life.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:20:23 pm by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 02:28:19 pm
You make a very attractive argument!   :lol:

It's certainly not for everyone, but I'm sure your post will inspire some of us to up our games in this area.   :y:

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 12:23:30 am
If I understand correctly, it was not a matter of Helm and Carnivac not understanding why you prefer to freelance, rather a matter of you not understanding why they want to work full-time.

Still, thanks for sharing your point of view. Here's mine.

I avoided getting a full-time job for ages, thinking it wasn't efficient in terms of time and money, but once I did get one, it learned a lot and it helped me make a clear division between my work time and my free time.
I still feel like I'm wasting my life away spending 8-9 hours in the office every day, but at least I know when I leave the office I'm a free man. Also I don't have to constantly look for work, haggle about prices or deal with late payments. That added up to taking up much more than 9 hours per day of my life.

People are different and have different needs and ideas, that is the whole point.
i

Offline tim

• View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 01:20:34 am
Hum that's true, I understand, but as you are all proving, the situation is not the best for pixel art artists. I was just pointing out another solution in case you really feel stuck. I don't want anybody here to suffer or give up because you don't find suitables companies in your countries… Anyway, buckle down the courage to continue, I hope you will all find something interesting soon, it's disheartening to hear the bad experiences you are all having currently. Best wishes, I'll let you know if I learn about available jobs here in Paris.
Founder of Odd Tales

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:08 am
Lots of posts since I last looked. Hehe.

yeah I agree with the stability of fulltime work and very much the seperation of leaving your work self at the office and having your private self feel detached from it all.   I've done freelance before and while there were aspects of it I liked (I enjoyed the 'freedom' for one) I don't actually enjoy working at home and find it very isolating and lonely.  I don't have many friends and so I'd like a job I can go to and meet people with similar interests and work together with them on projects, play a few games during breaks, arrange to do social activities with work colleagues outside of work and so on.  Also I like being around creative people and bouncing ideas off each other. 

I emailed Nitrome last Saturday with my CV, covering letter and portfolio.  Just have to wait and see what happens.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 06:39:17 pm
Hey, I wish you luck, for all it's worth :P

Offline Zccc

• View Profile

Reply #50 on: May 10, 2013, 01:20:20 am
I hope both of you get the job, you really deserve it :)
I learned a lot from this topic too!

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: May 10, 2013, 10:40:14 am
Thanks.  I hope so.  It's been a heck of an expensive week.  One of those where so many expenses seem to happen at once and everything breaks down (kitchen appliances mostly) and my clothes fall apart (my left shoe's sole fell right off and I split the crotch in my jeans when kneeling down to pick up a coin I had dropped... lucky my shirt was long enough to cover up that area til I could get home).  Haven't got a lot of money left after all this and most of the money I did have was still left over from that £1412 I won on the lottery last july.   

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: May 20, 2013, 11:40:17 am
Starting to wonder if they got my email and CV I sent two weeks ago. I don't think I typed the address wrong.  Maybe paranoid. 

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #53 on: May 20, 2013, 01:30:32 pm
I went for an interview there once, and they went completely silent afterwards. Another time I contacted them a fair amount of years later when they were actively hiring and I was more skilled and experienced. They said I should come in for another interview, then went totally silent again before it was arranged.  :n:  Since all that, I've got to know a couple of people who've worked there, and I don't think either left on good terms, unfortunately. I hope they've resolved their HR issues, but I personally wouldn't make any big plans that involved counting on it.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 01:34:25 pm
If I didn't get the job I would just like to know.  Some confirmation.  I'm trying to find a whole new life for myself, not just a job, so it's a biiig deal.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 02:58:14 pm
Prod em? Gently. Could be your application drowned in a million others. I think there's a big rush of people applying for these jobs, qualified or not.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 06:56:36 pm
From what I've seen, I've been constantly bothered by the thought that some people just don't know talent when it hits them right in the face. I hope the guys behind Nitrome aren't the sort to not be able to recognize good artists so all artists in essense look the same.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 09:32:04 pm
If I didn't get the job I would just like to know.  Some confirmation.  I'm trying to find a whole new life for myself, not just a job, so it's a biiig deal.

Sadly, from all my experience, no answer at all is the most common answer.
I never had HR issues with Nitrome myself, but it is very rare that people thank you for your application or let you know that you have been unsuccessful.
My guess is that most places will only reply if you get the job.
i

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #58 on: May 21, 2013, 01:13:12 am
It's not bad practice to send a follow-up email asking as to the status of your application.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 07:50:22 am
Yeah, maybe I should.  Though almost dreading them confirming I didn't get a job.

but it is very rare that people thank you for your application or let you know that you have been unsuccessful.
My guess is that most places will only reply if you get the job.

I used to have a big stack of letters from companies saying I was 'unsuccessful' ranging from Toys R' Us (oh why did that have to be a group interview when I was still trying to get used to being around people and building up some confidence...) to a local electronics store to some office based job (that dealt with making signs I think) and a few bookstores.  Threw them out last year cos as much as I like to keep a record of things, that lot was depressing as hell.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #60 on: May 22, 2013, 10:05:33 am
Ok I emailed a follow up and got a reply this time.  Seems they're holding off for a bit to see how well a big new game (out at end of month apparently) does before deciding on expanding and hiring new peoples.  Is fair enough.  I'd say I'd be patient and wait to see what happens but it's not like I have much else in the way of options anyways so waiting is all I got.   :-[

Oh well, least I got plenty hobbies and interests to pass the time so I won't go crazy and I'm still on the look out for any other opportunities if they should happen to appear. 

Offline AzKai

• View Profile
    • My Artwork

Reply #61 on: May 24, 2013, 05:40:16 pm

You'll have to believe in yourself at some point in order to get where you want to go. :)

I don't know the company in question but I don't think most larger companies never tell you if you haven't been considered--only if you have. I do know that places like Square Enix scan their resumes and resumes that don't fill every requirement are tossed and not even looked at. (It's literally a machine that scans them, as I've heard.) I haven't gotten a job there yet because I'm still sitting here with my tail between my legs BUT, before I graduated I did talk to the HR Director for like an hour, twice. He and I became buddies. And you know the song: "It's not what you know, it's who you know." So wherever you go and look, try to get a hold of their HR or someone there that can pull some strings for you and get them to like you or get your resume through [whether you have all the credentials or not]! Because the hardest part is getting the interview. You'll slam it from there. :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:46:33 pm by AzKai »

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #62 on: May 24, 2013, 06:40:06 pm
Nitrome was literally 4 people last time I went in - I'm sure there's a few more now, but they certainly haven't invested in Shinra's resume robot.   :lol: