AuthorTopic: hate trees  (Read 27209 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

hate trees

on: June 18, 2006, 10:40:04 am
working on a tileset, and Ive done the generic tiles so far (havent quite finished the water tiles yet :P)

and as you can see the trees look like shit (im going to change the path tiles a bit too)

here is the tree by itself:

I really need some help on how to make the leaves look better, at the moment they blend in to each other too much and theres no shape to it :-\

thanks in advance guys
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Re: hate trees

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 11:00:58 am
The look are good and with quality, but i think all is a little "greeny"

About the trees i will try to put a shadow down the trees, now not seems the tree are implemented in the image.

But well, in overall all have a good quality :)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 11:23:23 am

the shadows have improved them.. but I still hate the leaves ( I also flipped the trunk to fix the lighting)

and I changed the dirt path, for the better?
I know the shadows from the trees are a bit off, I just put in rough shadows

edit-
working on the water tiles now:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 02:41:53 pm by .TakaM »

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 03:06:17 pm
Wow, nice man. It has a unique style that I can't capture in words. The light grass-blades look awesome, but I think the darker ones are a bit strange though.
Are you using this tileset for a game?
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 07:45:21 pm
The shadows are good, but the tree continue no implementen in the image, ithink need broken the terrain down the tree and add some details.

About the water... i not like the water. Seems a window ¿?. For the water i put a reflection of the image how now but with waves, and the line of the water not straight, with curves.

For exameple the line of the water now:

With curves:

_/\___/\_/\___/\__

I dont know if i explain very well with all, i hope help you.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 07:51:37 pm

youre right about the dark grass strands lick, not much logic behind them lol, but easily changed, I made them lighter than the regular grass tiles and it looks much better now. and breaks up the grid better this way I think ;)

I guess I should add some better details to the trunk.. they kinda look plastic-y at the moment
and yeah youre right about the water, the edge ripples are too square, they ofcourse wont be when Im finished and they will work into the grooves of the cliff-face ;)

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 08:25:30 pm

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 09:21:55 pm
Hey Taka, those rock walls look gorgeous.  All of this is hand pixeled? Amazing.

I'd say make the cracks in the path even lighter (but only a bit) because at first glance they could still be mistaken for a rock wall.

It's hard to tell if those rock-like shapes in the water are reflections or contintuations of the rock face in the water.  If they are reflections, first make more ripples in the water and have the rocks reflect off the ripples.  If they are the latter, they should go from lighter on the top to darker on the bottom, the reverse of what you have now.  Also do what Matriax said and have the water form to the rocks.  It looks like a window now.

Not quite sure what to do about the leaves yet.  I'll try fiddling with them later, but for now I'd say make the overall volume of the leaves less of a spherical shape and more organic.  I also think that the trunk is a bit wide for such a small leaf group.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 10:32:42 pm
My main problem with the image, although you could argue that it's for continuity, is that everything seems to have the same rocky pattern. It makes sense with the rocky cliffs, and the path looks good (although you called it a "dirt" path), but the grass also has a rock-like pattern.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 12:43:22 am
I see what Invaderlupis means, it also helps me see why the trees and the water look off.

You've set everything up with yuor other tiles to lack strong highlights, be very desaturated, and especially be very blocky, with defining llines around but not in the shapes.

You have to apply that to the trees and the water tiles to unify them better.