AuthorTopic: GR#078 - Generic Soldiers + Tiles  (Read 13357 times)

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

GR#078 - Generic Soldiers + Tiles

on: November 09, 2011, 07:52:15 pm
I happened to play a game on kongregate http://www.kongregate.com/games/ryzed/xenosquad which was a blunt copy of the good old Incubation. That got my brain rolling for a bit, so I've mocked up some soldier and a couple of tiles for a turnbased squad-tactics game in some city.

Ok, grid size is 16x16, sprite size 16x24, size refs are obviously ffVI

So any feedback would be great - palette, design, readability, anatomy... yeah. I'm gonna try animating the sprite (walking, firing standing and lying and crawling).

Offline milleja46

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] generic soldier + tiles

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 09:08:17 pm
Looks good...though you really should of tried elminating the grid :P

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 09:22:02 pm
Background is good, but the character sprite seems to blend into it a bit too much. You could add more contrast, or speculars/highlights.
The edit, with previous suggestions applied:

Also toyed with some pixels a bit to distinguish from the generic Final Fantasy face more, but it's still seeming out of place. (Compare front sprite to back.) In that case there's this version. Better?

Other than that, I'd like to see more cracks/debris on the ground to reflect the demolished bricks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:58:55 pm by pistachio »

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 08:37:01 am
Wow, that was a quick and great edit =).

For the readability, I don't want a specular on the helmet since i imagine it being quite dull (cloth more than metal). Instead i've just tried pushing the highlight color.

Redid the face as well, better? I like the one pixel eyes, but i think they look at the camera as opposed to along the ground, which bugs me a bit in this perspective.

The ground needs work for sure - cracks, derbis and broken walls coming up!

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:23:42 pm
"The grid" can be pretty useful for a turn-based game, so the player can immediate estimate distance in tile units.
See the (map) backgrounds of Advance Wars or Fire Emblem.

Offline TPoe

• RoyalePoe
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/20746.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:32:23 am
The thing that bugs me is the shading on the face seems to be coming from the bottom right, but on the helmet it's on the left

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:08:30 pm
New version

@TPoe: I was trying to make the helmet shade the face but i agree it went to far. Is this better?

Some new tiles. I am having immense trouble with making the brick rubble in the demolished walls. Anybody got any good samples of pixel art rubble?

Offline Mahan

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:03:11 pm
Have you thought about a re-colour on the mortar and floor? The bricks and the dudes look good, just the pallet doesn't sit right with me.

Not that this seems totally right to me but I think blue looks nicer than the yellow.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 01:26:44 am
Well, I think it depends on where they are, Mahan. The original looks like they're outside, or in a place with a lot of sunlight. Yours looks more like they're inside of a building/somewhere with florescent lighting. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I prefer the original a bit. It looks more colorful and happy, which sits well with the chibi-style spritework, I think.

Offline Mahan

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 01:57:58 am
or winter, or in the northern hemisphere. The blue green spectrum of light is what I'm used to and so retain the preference I guess. Might even be influenced as far as war is a cold bleak dreaded thing so bouncy happy :D sunshine doesn't spring to mind :lol: