AuthorTopic: GR#055 - Still Image Summon - Anatomy, Pose  (Read 15157 times)

Offline sonic_reaper

• View Profile
    • Dorian Tokici

GR#055 - Still Image Summon - Anatomy, Pose

on: June 20, 2011, 09:33:21 pm
This was inspired by Amano's illustrations they used and converter to monsters/summons in FFV and FFVI.  It's not meant to replicate the style, but I've always been taken by his illustration ability.  But anywho, a sketchy start ...

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Re: Still Image Summon

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:46:52 pm
I'm not loving the olive green on her skin unless it's supposed to be moss. Also, she seems to be missing eyebrows.
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)

Offline sonic_reaper

• View Profile
    • Dorian Tokici

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:56:54 pm
Update.  Changed some of the colors, added more details.  The image didn't feel "contained" (there wasn't a dark enough color of any of the available), so added intermittent outline.

Didn't even notice the eyebrow thing.  Still working at it.  The olive is still maybe too puke colored.  And the wrap/cloak/thing around her doesn't make sense in certain parts/areas.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:37:01 pm
Great cloth and LOVELY feet  :)

I actually liked the first skin colors better.

My critique would be that the the torso seems way too small for the legs.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:33:04 am
Hi. This piece has a few problems I tried to illustrate with the following animation

1. the legs and upper body are not the same size, they don't seem to belong together.
2. furthermore even when at the same size, it feels like the bent is impossible, or at the very least, very painful.
3. after rotation, the head is given a neck, however still the biggest problem here is that
4. the body language doesn't convey something I can understand. IS she holding her one arm with her other?

Before any further critique, these issues would best be considered. I have a feeling you need to work on your fundamental study of the human body before you can pull something like this off without basing the end result at least partly on luck.

Offline sonic_reaper

• View Profile
    • Dorian Tokici

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:01:08 am
There are some rotation and angle issues, yes.  And adding a neck helps as well.  Thank you for spotting those.  However, your edit makes her ridiculously short.  No love for full figured women?  As for the body language, yes I was struggling with that.  But you guessed right.

But here's another approach (still a rough edit) ...

Periodic update;

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:21:07 am by sonic_reaper »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 04:28:32 am
I'm pretty sure her legs are gigantic. Figure has nothing to do with it, just a matter of proportions. Her kneecaps are as big as her face and her head is half the size of her foot. The upper leg alone is longer than the entire torso. She could give birth to a skull the size of her own, with that hips to head ratio. How far do the tips of your own fingers extend down your leg, when you rest your arms at your sides?

I wouldn't call her 'full figured' either, those are pretty skinny arms, same goes for shoulder/neck/collarbone region.

the pose and angle of lower portion in relation to upper are both much better though

edit:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:44:47 am by Cure »

Offline sonic_reaper

• View Profile
    • Dorian Tokici

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:01:30 am
Okay no offence to you guys, cause I know and respect Helm's work.  But your edits just "look" wrong to me.  I am familiar with anatomical rules, the amount of heads tall a person should be, proportions of limbs, etc etc etc but I can't seriously look at those edits and say they "look" any better.  Call it a stylistic choice or what have you, but it just looks wrong to me.  Perhaps part of the issue is that I am still in the refining phase and things will change between now and when it is finished.  I am taking all comments into consideration, but know that the changes I make may not be as drastic as the edits have been so far.  I hope that is fair.

edit:  I may secretly have a fetish with gigantic legs.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:13:03 am by sonic_reaper »

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:49:04 am
I have a few edits to offer. I like thinner anime-ish women, so maybe this is not that anatomically correct, but it looks pretty to me. Her hairline is lowered a bit. I like the hands posing with the flowers so that stayed. As for her billowing dress, please excuse the badly drawn cloth.

One more thing: her head's a little bit big for her body, but I was too lazy to change it.

edit: hmmm now that I look at it from further away, the balance and the curve of her body seems a little funny... :blind:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:51:05 am by piffany »
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)

Offline TheInquisitor

• Lookin' to Learn
    • View Profile
    • RJanes.co.uk

Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 03:39:58 pm
Two points here; firstly, the criticism about the proportions is correct. Whether it's a stylistic choice is not, the size difference between the legs and the body is way too big even on your newer version. You should follow Helm's version - I think that's the best one. You should shrink the legs, enlarge the upper body or do both to make it fit better. You don't have to make it totally accurate but right now it's too much.

Secondly, Cure and Helm are excellent pixel artists, but I feel their and your edits lack punch. These summons appear in battle scenes, so you want a more aggressive or flamboyant pose. Instead of having one arm holding the other, have an arm outstretched and pointing, as if casting a spell downwards or even directly up in the air. I don't like the hands holding flowers look, it's far too tame.

I say stick to Helm's edit - his proportions are right - and just try and give it a little more adventure.
Check out my portfolio site:
http://rjanes.co.uk

And my preferred place
http://www.rpg-palace.com