AuthorTopic: Creature for surreal / Lovecraftian exploration game. [C+C Please]  (Read 4433 times)

Offline Gaspy Conana

• View Profile
Title says it all. I'll add more creatures to the thread as I progress. Almost all of the creatures in the game are docile but I still want them to carry an underlying sinister tone. As if they're all conspiring to sneakily kill you.

...formerly known as Necropixel and Simdrone052.

Offline krasimir

• View Profile
    • Riftforge Online RPG
Lovecraft's elder gods look huge, I'm not sure your scale matches that (maybe it does, haven't seen a human figure).

A recent post on ArtOrder has an excellent collection of Lovecraftian monsters, I'm partial to the Shoggoth :)
http://artorder.blogspot.com/2010/10/hp-lovecraft-creature-lab-line-up.html
Playing: online RPG with  over 4 dozen pixel units and a ton of pixel enemies.
Blog: Diablo 3 item duping

Offline Gaspy Conana

• View Profile
Humans are about the size of his shell. There will be creatures of varying sizes... it's only Lovecraftian in it's atmosphere. I do plan on some juggernauts though.

Here's an example:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:15:21 pm by Gaspy Conana »
...formerly known as Necropixel and Simdrone052.

Offline Above Our Own

• View Profile
Lovecraft's elder gods look huge, I'm not sure your scale matches that (maybe it does, haven't seen a human figure).

A recent post on ArtOrder has an excellent collection of Lovecraftian monsters, I'm partial to the Shoggoth :)
http://artorder.blogspot.com/2010/10/hp-lovecraft-creature-lab-line-up.html
He simply said it was a Lovecraftian creature, not necessarily a god-like Lovecraftian being. Lovecraft's works are fraught with lesser monstrosities subservient to the towering reality-bending demigods.

Offline evilDan

• View Profile
    • dansilber.com
That guy  is really cool. I'll be curious to see the game. 

Is the orange on it's shell reflection?

And @krasimir -- I loved the artorder blog link -- very very cool stuff there.
interstellartortoise.com

Offline RCIX

• View Profile
The light seemsd to be coming from the northwest, but there's very little to no casting of shadows nor self-shadowing. Perhaps it might be a good idea to fix this?

Offline Senevri

• View Profile
    • Art and Depression
First of all, I really like the 3px wide human :)

I think... I'd make the carapace pop a little more, and maybe tweak the tentacles lying against ground a bit - they start out thick, but narrow quickly into these limp, weak-looking ropes. Maybe up the contrast in the palette a bit more - make the darker shades a bit more blue, but that depends on the rest of the artwork.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile
The orange on the shell does throw the look off a bit, I suggest making the whole shell... well, shell-colored. Use the same hilight colors and everything for it, instead of switching to the orange.

Other than that, he's awesome, and kinda creepy. Can't wait for docile grazing animations or whatever :)

Keep it up :y:
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa