AuthorTopic: C&C or Edit Sprite  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Stava

• View Profile

C&C or Edit Sprite

on: November 02, 2010, 02:07:17 am
Hi again all, thanks for viewing.
I made a sprite, without any reason, it's not used for anygame or anything.
I'd like a critique to see what could I improve about this and future sprites, I'm not really good with some details since I self taught, never checked any tutorials.
I used no reference.

Heres the sprite

The same sprite with clothes.

Explain the mistakes or edit them so I can see how to fix it, please and thanks!

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Re: C&C or Edit Sprite

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:03:16 pm
Could anybody C&C it??
I really need some critique :/

please
-Sorry about double post

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 04:02:40 pm
Crits:

The head is viewed from slightly overhead, the body is viewed from the front.  Raise the eyes and ears, and give the figure a neck.

I don't think you need 20 colors on each base.  You could get by with 4-7 colors for skin, maybe 5 for the eye since it is large and will be visible, 2-3 for the shorts.

The base figure is rather shapeless.  The arms, torso, and legs are just tubes with the anatomy painted on rather than actual form.  If this is just a manikin and most of the body will be covered up with clothing this might be ok - the body parts are just reference points.  But looking at the clothed figure, you carry the same shapeless form to the clothing as well.  I think it's also what is driving you to use so many colors.

There are plenty of ways to improve this, but they boil down to making the figure a bit lumpy.  Muscles bulge and take up volume, as does the rib cage.  You don't need to go nuts, just a little is enough to break up the straight lines.  The clothing then adds its own volume.  Armor is generally thicker than cloth and it isn't skin tight (no navels on torso armor!).

For inspiration, here is a page by Burne Hogarth or by someone drawing like him.  Linked for size. http://www.foro3d.com/attachments/40381d1165857530-capitan-america-hograth9zi.jpg  You don't need this much, but keep these shapes in mind.

On the clothed figure.
The balance of light/medium/dark looks pretty good.

The spear has jaggies.  This is bad.

Still too many colors.

The metal is monochrome. This seems like it should be correct, but it would look a little better if you had a small hue shift from light to dark.

That's all the crits I've got, hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 12:32:39 am
At first I thought it helped me, however I noticed where my pixels needed fixing. When I edited the sprite, I found that I did not like it as much as my opriginal sprite. I figure it's probably just me being new to this technique which you have mentioned (after all I am very used to my own style). Could you post me some reference in pixel art, so I can see what you exactly mean?
And I think number of colours is in reference to style. Differnt style may need more or less colours. I usually use a low number of colours but this time I made a change.
I really did the spear fast and I dislike it aswell; it's just to show how the sprite would hold weapons. Also, the armor plate was edited but I lost the pic (Gotta ask my friend, I'm sure he saved it).

I appreciate the critisim and I will keep it in mind for the future.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 05:25:58 am
I think you can get a good idea of how others pixel this if you browse the PixelJoint gallery with keyword 'warriors' (http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/2033/Warriors.htm)

Keep working at it.  You'll continue to improve.

Tourist

Edit: because the original wording sounded pompous.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:04:39 am by Tourist »