AuthorTopic: Hi All!  (Read 2642 times)

Offline RCIX

• View Profile

Hi All!

on: November 08, 2010, 07:57:53 am
I've recently started learning the way of the pixel pusher -- starting about a week or so ago. One of my favorite things is Pokemon, and one of my favorite Pokemon is Aron. Here's my first attempt to make an 8 color pixel-art version in the "Bulbapedia Standard pose" (with minor modifications and a different light source):

And here's an improved version, featuring better lighting and stubbier legs to match the reference:

And finally, the reference image i used:

C&C is welcome! I will probably take a shot at a few other Pokemon at some point, and if I do, I'll post it here.

Offline evilDan

• View Profile
    • dansilber.com

Re: Hi All!

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 05:05:22 pm
Looks pretty good!

A few thoughts:
1. The front leg in the second version comes to a one pixel point, which doesn't imply the oval shape as strongly as the one in the first pass.
2.  In both of them the curve of the shell where it meets the head could be improved by softening the curve.
3.  You could consider revising your palette so that the 3 dark grays are a bit darker - so that the shell and the body have more contrast, like the source.
4.  I like the dithering on the light areas of your first pass.  Why did you choose to loose those in the second version?

All in all a nice piece!
interstellartortoise.com

Offline RCIX

• View Profile

Re: Hi All!

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 05:47:29 pm
Thanks for the feedback :)

I removed the dithering because of 2 reasons:
1. It made the material look pretty dull, when the reference shows an at least semi-glossy material.
2. I've heard that dithering is better used sparingly from other places on these forums :)

It could go back in though.

I'll also probably redo the head; it's too tall and off to the left a little too much. That's probably what's screwing up the head-body curve.

I'll definitely darken the lowest couple of colors, thinking about it now that makes sense.

Yea the front leg needs work, i'll probably redo it again. Looks like it needs a slight rightward slant, which might help with making it properly shaped.