AuthorTopic: A skin appears!  (Read 30714 times)

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Re: A skin appears!

Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 09:55:15 pm
I appreciate the work gone into the skin, but I honestly can't say I'm pleased with the result: I'll eventually get used to the icons, the shapes and all, but for sure I won't get used to the background colors - as nice as they can be, to me their lack of hue neutrality will always alter the perception of the pixel art posted.
EDIT: also, as a simplicity and flatness lover, I'm not particularly fond of the shadows and of the depth of icons and frames - they only make the view unnecessarily more complicated to my eyes.

(Just my humble 2 cents.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:16:38 pm by saimo »

Offline Sly

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:38 pm
On my monitor the text is hard to read with the background color (Not the colors but combined gives me a eye ache).

Other then that it looks good. It's going to take awhile to get used to.

I thought my monitor was going goofy until I saw the icons.

It's a refreshing change though. (Maybe a selection between both skins?)
No zombies here.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 10:20:04 pm
@ #36005A

Hmm, search buttons looks fine in firefox, opera and ie8 for me.

Also, I have to ask, and I don't mean this as a personal attack, but I'm merely curious: If you are not interested at all in graphic design, why did you take on the task of redesigning a website? You seem to have done a pretty great job, so I am surprised to hear you say that. Or did you just mean that "graphical masturbation" is not something you're interested in/inclined to? My apologies if I've misunderstood.

No offense taken :)

The practical side of handling graphic elements (as in heavily abstracted up to geometrical purism) just isn't my cup of tea. It's hard to put my finger on it, I always enjoyed drawing, I never enjoyed working with layout or type, or making logos and the likes. Which doesn't mean I don't admire people who can achieve a strong impression with simplicity, on the contrary. I'm just a bit jealous of them :)

As Atnas put it nicely, it actually doesn't feel the closest to home for me either, even though I made them :D.

@ fil: noted, thanks.

@ saimo: I disagree about the colors. The graphic icons will be history within due time anyway though.

@ sly: Didn't perceive the text-background combination as hard on the eyes so far. What kind of monitor do you use?

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 10:33:24 pm
Re: Search button, I ran it through browsershots because I was curious, and it looks like the search button thing was intentional to some degree. For some reason, Webkit lifts it up 2 pixels, but the button itself is actually raised to begin with (due to the 2 pixel gray bar underneath it). Of course, this leads to a 4 pixel shift on Webkit browsers, but I think it should be on the same line as the search box to begin with (0 pixel shift).

Even if you do remove that gray bar (or move the whole thing down 2 pixels to put the gray bar underneath the bottom of the search bar), I'm not sure what to do about Webkit. Seems like it will still have the same problem.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 10:48:34 pm
Ah, ok, the 2 pixels ARE intentional, it's supposed to protrude. I'll look into it tomorrow, there should be a way around that eventually.

On the topic of web-design again, I enjoyed skinning the forum, but it's not something I do often. In the past I usually found my way around classic layouting. This here was for web basics class 3 years ago, which illustrates it nicely :P (not exactly cross-browser compatible, best viewed in firefox):

http://users.fh-salzburg.ac.at/~fhs16724/eightbitfactory/index.html

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 11:02:56 pm
Not sure that I really dig this at all :sry:. Is it possible to have a choice of skins?

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 11:10:22 pm
Can you elaborate on what exactly it is that lessens the usability for you? Any specifics would be very helpful and can be taken into consideration.

Cheers

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 01:12:39 am
Despite some of the layout issues, I enjoy the new skin.  I was surprised when I saw that Pixelation looked different in my Opera Speed Dial window and happy to see an update!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:58 am
I'm not necessarily opposed; i think it could be much more internally consistent and will take a lot of getting used to.  I wonder that it doesn't feel most like a novelty skin.  but it's hardly 'unusable'.

I've more or less become a lurker here anyway so don't necessarily heed what i say.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 02:54:34 am
Haven't logged in here for a while, but visiting and seeing this new skin was pretty refreshing!

Great work.