AuthorTopic: A skin appears!  (Read 30710 times)

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

A skin appears!

on: September 19, 2010, 04:26:14 pm
Hey fellow friends of the picture elements (be they blocky or not),

as you hopefully have noticed, the forum skin got its long overdue overhaul (has it really been 4 years?). I'll leave this announcement up for a week as a place to post about any bugs or quirks you might stumble upon, as well as general feedback and critique.

Enjoy,

your Pixelation team!

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: A skin appears!

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 04:52:35 pm
Needs some tooltips if you hover over the symbols.
Got no clue what that eye, rectangle or the "post new post"-icon with an arrow do.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 04:57:00 pm
Thought so, will do.

Edit: done.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 05:18:31 pm by miascugh »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 05:20:15 pm
colours are sweet. Nice job.

Ditto on the tool tips. Had a momentary freak out where I thought Arn'es SMB thread had been locked since I couldn't find the reply button. I kinda wonder if it wouldn't be better to have more texty buttons.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:27:15 pm
I'll try differentiating the reply button by color and/or size, as it probably is the most frequently used and needed one. But if general consensus after that still has it, that these icons alone are too clumsy, text it will be.

edit: done
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:55:50 am by miascugh »

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 05:58:05 pm
I vote for text on those buttons. :)

Great work! I love all the angles everywhere, and probably my favorite things that I can see right now are the Post/Preview buttons, as well as the alternating greens for posts... I could go on and on about the things I like, but I'll focus on crits for the sake of usefulness.

First of all: Color consistency. The darkest color in the logo (#414954) should probably be changed to #44474E, or else the page elements that are currently #414954 should be changed to #44474E. The background color for .windowbg, .windowbg4, .windowbgb, .windowbgc should maybe be #D2D5B8. Finally, some text boxes are white while some are #E4E6E3, my suggestion would be to keep them all white.

Various other small things (which may be intentional things I don't like, errors, or perhaps browser/rendering engine issues – I'm on Chrome 6.0.472.55, Mac OS X 10.6.4):
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:01:39 pm by #36005A »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 06:00:42 pm
I like everything, the angles, the icons, EXCEPT the colors.
It feels too... blue. I liked it better with warmer colors.

Offline Moribund

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 06:14:03 pm
SKIN uses SURPRISE

MORIBUND is confused

But then once I got over that I decided I really liked it. The only thing for me is that the fancy new icons kinda clash a little bit with the smileys and the top banner.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 06:22:44 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

@ #36005A:

I'll look into your color suggestions.

Unfortunately I am well aware of the two css issues with Chrome (and other webkit browsers as well I suppose. I don't have access to Safari right now... It would be really nice if you could check on that on your Mac :)), I guess I'll have to look into and resort to browser-specific trickery.

The irregular button sizes I am aware of too, but that's beyond my control since the icq and yahoo messenger icons are fetched from an external server, thus inconsistent. About the colors, I used the two recurring saturated colors orange and teal correspondingly to the dominant colors yellow and blue of the AIM and MSN logo respectively in an attempt to assure recognizability without deviating from the skins palette. I think it works.

The 'jump to unread'-button thing is noted.

@ CrazyMLC: I am pretty satisfied with the colors myself. It might be a matter of getting used to as well, but mostly also one of taste :). Not that this means anything, but the olden Pixelation was completely clad in deep blue.

@ Moribund: I'm not a fan of the smileys myself. Maybe, in time, they'll get some extra attention too. We already have something in mind with the banner :)

edit: tried distinguishing the reply/create topic speech balloon. Any better?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:36:52 pm by miascugh »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:52:00 pm
I think it's a refreshing change, and I like the colors. However, the darkest elements coupled with the white text is too harsh, I think. Otherwise, very nice. :y:;D