AuthorTopic: GR#063 - Dwarf Fortress Platformer Mockup - Sideview  (Read 19435 times)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile
Started on this a few months ago and came back to it again recently. Still a bit rough in the tilework right now. I really gotta  look at my tiles and work out a common border so they are more seamless.

Stil, Il thought it would be nice to get some input and impressions. I think the main problem I have with it now is it feels lifeless. Maybe I should start adding some more stuff like shops and plump helmet spawns on the ground etc. I thnk I need to break up the rocky tiles more. Way too monotonous. Maybe I should create some fuzzy spots with fewer details.

Also in case anybody is wondering this isn't meant to be functional in any way. I don't intend to make some sort of DF side scroller mod or whatever. Just having some fun.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: Dwarf Fortress Platformer Mockup

Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:11:07 pm
I just wanted to pop in a say that I really like this. Not sure why it hasn't gotten any comments yet! Your thought about adding some spots with fewer details is spot on, I think; it seems a bit too busy and confusing right now. Maybe split it into two different screenshots, one with the civilized portion of the dwarf's fortress, and one a bit deeper with the monsters and whatnot. I can't for the life of me tell what the purple things are. Maybe it's some sort of monster I never encountered while playing? I think filling in the checkerboard sections inside the tiles with something that blends a bit nicer would go a long way to making it look nicer as well. Anyway, I would love to see this finished, I hope you're still working on it!

Offline SwapBrain

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:33:43 pm
Sorry if posting on a topic this old is bad form.

I just wanted to say that I really like this and think it suits the tone of DF pretty well.

One thing that may help it appear more lively is to represent veins of ore running through - this would give you the opportunity to play with color and texture. Also, while I like the color for the flat background, if you could add something to up the visual interest without making it too busy that might help. Lastly, in terms of the individual tiles,  you might make them a little more dynamic, so that the lines internal to the tiles carry the eye from one to the next and so on, kind of like text. As it stands the eye sort of seems to get trapped by the pattern overall, but that is just, like, my opinion, man.

A good reference, since it seems to fit the overall style you have going here are some of the more recent side-scrolling Castlevanias - SOTN and the GBA titles in particular.

IN fact, it occurs to me that the Castlevania brand on gothic horror (gothic in the original sense) is particularly suitable for DF due to the inevitable fun you face.

DF is one of my current obsessions and I am mightily disappointed by many of the existing tilesets.  I saw that in General Discussions a DF tileset project had been kicked around and I would like to also express my interest in such a project. On the other hand this may be a case of my reach exceeding my grasp.

Incidentally, my inclination is to think that Zelda-style would work better than isometric.

Additionally your mock-up made me think of how well a DF-themed Lemmings would work (particularly appropriate based on how dwarves often act).

Regards,

Edwin

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:18:58 am
Don't pixel much anymore, but I like to dig out old pieces and have another go at them. Figured I'd show off the results.
Kinda went with a more blockier approach to the tiles. I think it works ok on the rocky/dirty stuff. Not as well on the more metally stuff.

Pink guys are supposed to be tentacle demons.

Have a few ideas for other scenes I might do. I've got small roughs up, but nothing probably worth showing.
A caravan of elves travelling towards a dwarf city, the top level full of workshops and an imposing statue of Armok breaking the back of a goblin greeting the vistiors.
A little farming scene
A neat little battle with some dwarfs laying a trap for an approaching titan.

I think the crit about needing to split this into a couple of scenes would be best. Don't have enough material jsut yet for taht, so one scene it stays.

Apologies to the two commenters for my untimely reply.

Offline hate

• i'm not really here
    • View Profile
    • WWW.ILOVENEWORK.FR

Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:39:49 am
neat style, would turn out great animated, full of life.
you can spot the tile pattern, but your tiles in themselves are pwetty neat

and these little stairs oh they are crazy
WWW.ILOVENEWORK.FR

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:24:15 pm
Wow, this looks almost painted. I guess they don't call you selout for anything huh.
the thing that's bothering me, is that i can't really tell what the sprites are. I see a little knight, some dwarfs i what appears to be a prison cell and satan.
it's overall good, but i dislike the fact that i have to stare at it for a while before i know what's going on.

Offline Noiprox

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:38:37 pm
Aww this is great! What a compelling vision of dwarf fortress you have created.

As for critique, although I am not an expert I would agree with Stratto that some things aren't immediately clear. Perhaps if there were more contrast between the background and the sprites they would "pop" out more.

Anyway keep up the good work! I'd love to see the other scenes you are planning.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:59:02 pm by Noiprox »

Offline sonic_reaper

• View Profile
    • Dorian Tokici

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 07:12:57 pm
I think it looks great.  My only crit would be that the characters with the black hair (?) are really black, to the point where it jumps out completely from the rest of the image (the two among the three at the bottom left for example).  That and some readability issues.  I agree with what has been said.  I would separate the sprites more from the background.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:24:54 am
eeee, I was afraid there were going to be some colour issues. I'm working off of a small 12" laptop at the moment, so my colour perception is probably really off. I tried adjusting the black and boosted the contrast(hopefully) on some layers, thought I think I worsened the contrast between foreground objects like the bed and chests and the characters.

The red guy was intended as a fire demon. I haven't actually played DF in some time. Kinda forgot the controls and its been a struggle to get back into with various others things vying for my attention. I had a hell trip in mind while doing this. Mainly accidentally mining through platinum and unleashing the unholy  purple tentacle demons, the fire demon plus zombies.

I threw a few more random items in(eheh, I think you people keep saying to stop that).

Here's a rough up for a little outdoor scene. An elf caravan walking up to an dwarf fortress with lots of workshops and maybe a dining area. Maybe I'll move some things over to it when it's a little more polished. Figured I'd show off since there wasn't much done with the other mockup. Not much to critique on it right now, but I'll update with a more polishing version soon, hopefully.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 01:28:24 pm
This looks very very good to me. It makes me want to play DF again  :crazy:

The most impressive things to me are the knight with a sword in your first scene because his stance is very very expressive for such a small sprite, and your background tiles. I hope the new scene ends up as gritty and sharp as the first one, it seems a bit dull so far but it's hard to tell with an early WIP.