AuthorTopic: GR#063 - Dwarf Fortress Platformer Mockup - Sideview  (Read 19431 times)

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: Dwarf Fortress Platformer Mockup

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 01:06:39 am
I can't offer much in the way of critique, but I'd be more than happy to gratify your ego. Looks great! Love the painterly style. Moar.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:31:29 am
I hope you continue with this, I find it very intriguing :)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 12:06:15 am
Yep, still working on it. I was distracted for a little while with a tetris game I was coding and some annoying 12+ hours overtime for the last few weekends. Wish I could show some more, but mostly just a bit of fine-tuning of stuff already there. Should have a more complete outdoor elf scene in a day or two.

The grass is giving me some trouble, because I don't think I can do the more tiley approach I used on the rocks. I think I've got something decent. Just need to clean up and add a variety tile. I tried to go with a flatter colouring on the characters and enemies to give them more pop. In the process of updating I went a little crazy with the fire demon guy and I
m not sure if he fits anymore.

On the second, I feel the trees are a step in the right direction, but might be a bit contrasting for something I want to be in the interactive background. I'm going to wait till I add the variety tiles and see how it looks then.

I'm a little sad I haven't finished the dwarf lifting the dead goblin in triumph statue. That's a definite priority.

I hope the next update is shorter and less wip-ey for you all. Thank you to those who've posted..

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 06:19:27 am
Yeah, your definately making progress in the right direction (except the demon, I think you are right, maybe its just the background but he is unreadable atm).
I have to say that I LOVE the sleeping dwarfs, they are super funny. I also really like the reduced complexity on the dwarfs in general now, and am happy that you stuck with the red noses and ears - thats really giving them something. Even though I know this is a artist trick to make ears and noses red, I'd not use the same intensitiy on the elves, that just seems a bit too much.
You are right about the grass, it really has a nice fluffy feel to it compared to the rocktiles.
I'm not sure if I like your update on the purple enemies - From your last WIP I was able to imagine how you'd animate them, but now with those more massive "tails" you'll have much harder time imho.
Keep going and don't let some stupid crunchtime suck all the power out of you.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 05:12:11 am
Wow, hard ot believe it was over half a month ago that I last posted. No excuses, just some artwork. redid the fire demon guy. Finished the goblin. Some new brick tiles. Lots of polishing.
The sky is kinda half assed together atm. I needed something to break up the background, but was having troubling with the tiling. Gonna have to go through my game art collection and see if I can spot some economical cloud tiling.

This guy doesn't really fit into the mockups just yet. Too dark . I kinda like it, so made it into a separate png to show. Having trouble with transparency. Hope nobody mines the bg

Yeah, your definately making progress in the right direction (except the demon, I think you are right, maybe its just the background but he is unreadable atm).
I have to say that I LOVE the sleeping dwarfs, they are super funny. I also really like the reduced complexity on the dwarfs in general now, and am happy that you stuck with the red noses and ears - thats really giving them something. Even though I know this is a artist trick to make ears and noses red, I'd not use the same intensitiy on the elves, that just seems a bit too much.
You are right about the grass, it really has a nice fluffy feel to it compared to the rocktiles.
I'm not sure if I like your update on the purple enemies - From your last WIP I was able to imagine how you'd animate them, but now with those more massive "tails" you'll have much harder time imho.
Keep going and don't let some stupid crunchtime suck all the power out of you.
Thanks for the comments and crits. I think you're right about the red. I ended up just ditching the red entirely on the elves. The thing I didn't like about the tentacle guys from before is they were really flat. I was originally trying to make the tentacle look fuzzy and indistinct, but it wasn't working when I went with a flatter style on the dwarves. You might be right about it being harder to animate, It seems like I could've gotten away with more sloppiness on the fuzzy version. But I think the tentacle guys have more personality on the updated version.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:28:28 am by crab2selout.png »