AuthorTopic: Grass [wip]  (Read 17219 times)

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Re: Grass [wip]

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 07:11:26 pm
i played around with your pallete and i got this:

I could still work on it, but i'm too lazy now  :P

I made this to show you how to 'kill the grid'. I recommend you to look at those links:

http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_de-mystifying_greats_1.php
http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_de-mystifying_greats_2.php
http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_breaking_up_monotony.php
http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_obliterating_grid.php

That would help you a lot  ;D

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 07:12:38 pm
You don't have to tile all the grass. You could just put a plain green background, with grass tiles in patches.

It might help to put borders around these patches too, combine that with roads and other objects, it won't look so bland and tiled.

But there may not be anything wrong the tile itself per say, you just can't overuse it like that. Look at Legend of Zelda III, Final Fantasy 6, and Seiken Densestsu for more inspiration.

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 10:56:09 pm
A bigger tile would be better too.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 05:46:02 am
Thanks all so much for your input! I took a closer look at those tutorials than i had before and I realized that I think I was using too much highlighting and such, and I think you're right, Jakerpot, a larger tile might be better. Sorry about the .jpg..I saved it .png but it uploaded funky. I thought about just having plain green with some tiles that have interest, but I want to see if this will work out, I like how it's going. Rest assured my entire game won't be just grass...I'll be adding in roads and flowers and rocks and cliffs at some point, but I just wanted to get this basic piece down before I started on new things. Anyway, here are the new tiles:

And a map with character:

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 08:45:41 am
Much better =)

Now you could try to kil that 2 horizontal pixels that appears all the time. Why don't you try to use only 1 tile too? Thats why i said a bigger tile (32*32) would help you a lot.

The key is using the patterns in a non-horizontal/vertical way and make many parts that look alike with the other ones, so they wont feel so highlighted.

I will try to help as soon as i get home =)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:06:11 pm by Jakerpot »

Offline Kidfrommars

• My location? It's kinda obvious..
    • View Profile
    • RPG Land

Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 01:04:07 pm
I know a great tutorial located here: http://www.toolkitzone.com/library.php?doc=489.
I see that you have two big diagonal strands in your grass That makes it easier for me to see the grid. You may want to work on that.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 06:44:19 am
Thanks for the advice! I tried a 32x32 and that tutorial....and I think it looks greatly improved!
Here's a map:
And here are my tiles:
I think it still looks a little bit tiled, but it's not nearly as bad and it looks more diagonal. Kidfrommars: Thanks for pointing out those strands. They were totally killing it. And Jakerpot, I did only use one 32x32 tile this time, as you can see. I think that's much better. I tried to make tings look more natural, but patterns are hard not to repeat    :P
Anyway! Further C&C, advice?

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 04:49:48 pm
Try a tile with 2 bushes also, or a tile with a bush in a corner. This will create a more natural look   ;)

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 10:38:09 pm
So not only did I make more bushes...I made 2 flower tiles.  :D I hope that it doesn't look too retarded...I don't want to start ruining it :o However, keep in mind that I my tiles will NOT be this close together...this is just to see what it looks like.
So here's a map:

And here are my tiles:

I'm not wanting to double post, so here's another update.
Map:
Tiles:
I added some rocks and rearranged the flowers. It's finally starting to come together.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:15:50 pm by freespyryt »

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 12:20:01 am
Add more constrast to the rocks and flowers, they look transparent  :-X