AuthorTopic: Grass [wip]  (Read 17347 times)

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Grass [wip]

on: April 03, 2010, 06:39:33 pm
As I'm still continuing with my runner, this is mostly just a practice tile, but I'm starting to work on terrain, and here's my first grass tile  :D
Grass:
Sooo it still looks pretty tiled. But! I like the main grass style! C&C please!
Updated:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:19:21 pm by freespyryt »

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Re: Grass [wip]

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:12:24 am
Well, here's a tile of your grass:

I don't know much about grass but as you said, it looks pretty tiled, the main reason being those horizontal strips, but also the continuing pattern of 4 clustered blades of grass. You don't have to throw away your style, all of you have to do is to mishmosh things up a bit and break those continuing lines.
Here are awesome tutorials on creating grass/tiles (which you might've seen already because your grass looks similar :P)
Also, you can make two or more variations of grass tile to mix things up even more.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:16:01 am
Hahah that was in fact the tutorial I was looking at! It's not what I'm using for sure, but I'm trying to get the hang of it. I used two 16x16 tiles and put them into a 32x32 tile, to make it one big tile with two different tiles (the ones that are the same are diagonal from each other)...but it still turned out tile-y. Soooooooooo yeah. I might try making another one but I don't want it to look out of place either  ;) I used mappy to make that tile, so I knew it looked tile-y, but I tried what that tutorial said and it didn't seem to alleviate the problem all that much, so I came here! :D We'll try again and post an update in the morning...for now, any further C&C would be much appreciated, and I'm off to bed!

Offline Moczan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:57:14 pm
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=9865.msg107103#msg107103
Here, vierbit shows how to make good tiling tiles, also there are tons of other tile related tips in this thread.

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:21:55 am
the horizontal line is happening because each grass cluster is about dead center in the 16x16 tile, if you offset them a bit more (I see that they don't actually line up, but there close enough,) you could fix that up. I am be no means an expert on tiles, but I find it helps if you work details more from corners then the center, just because you end up thinking about them differently and tend to make more variation in the patterns as a result. Obviously, you don't want to start at the first pixel on any given corner, because you wont have room to work, but if you are starting from the center its really easy to just make a similar pattern for all similar things (like grass) and that makes it really hard to break up the repetition. (Point and case, both of your tiles feature a star shape made of four blades of grass pointing in different directions, and although this shape and the blades do read as grass, and look fine on there own, using that same formation over and over again makes it painfully obvious they are being tiled.)

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 04:57:10 am
So I took people's advice and finally got around to editing my grass...here's my work!
Tiles:
Those are all of the tiles individually that I used. annnd....
Grass Tile Thing: That's my grass!
I think it's much less tiled this time around!  :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:24:50 am by freespyryt »

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:09:53 am
There are still large structures: all tiles have mostly horizontal leaves around the height of the top row of flowers, with aligned dark gaps (8th/9th row) that form distinctive horizontal lines over multiple tiles.
You can shuffle around the interior of your tiles to place some light green highlights and flowers there, balancing the distribution of colors and interrupting the gaps.

Any reason to place flowers in only one of the tiles? That special tile is obvious, as is its size.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 04:09:51 pm
Oh I just didn't want to make the grass too busy, but I guess another flower tile might be in order. I'll try moving things around to see if it looks any better...Thanks!

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 06:37:47 pm
So I changed up the grass a bit more and added another flower tile.
Here are the tiles:

And here's them in a map with the character:

It still looks tiled  :-\ I tried to make them less uniform and mix up the placement of the leaves but I don't think it worked as well as I'd hoped.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 06:44:53 pm
Way too much contrast in those ground tiles, the character gets lost. You generally want to try to limit the contrast, and maybe use less eye-catching colors.

Your ground is also looking tiled because of the way you're going about doing your tiles. Your patches of grass are strands that start from the center and grow outwards from the center of the tile, and stop before they hit the edge. This is most evident in the first and third tiles. You have to think in more realistic terms; in real life, patches of grass are not limited to small boxes they can grow in.

Your flower tiles are not helping much either, they define the borders of the grid too much. You may be able to get away with having just 1 or 2 flowers per tile, and using it much less sparsely than you have it now.

Also .jpg, it's not good for the soul.