AuthorTopic: Burned Grass  (Read 16260 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Burned Grass

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:12 pm
I hate not having the knowledge enough to be constructive but:

It really looks like a perfectly smooth surface, plastic, even, surface with a grass texture imprinted upon it.

Which is what it is - so it makes sense. Now the problem is that I can't offer you help on how to avoid that so I'll just say: are you content with it?
' _ '

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 01:17:44 pm
Which is what it is - so it makes sense. Now the problem is that I can't offer you help on how to avoid that so I'll just say: are you content with it?
Not really, but the other grass tile had a very similar effect and I needed as soon as possible. Maybe when I have a better control over Blender (ZBrush or Maya), I'll make it better. For now this will do.
I actually don't like having this "half" done, but the person who ask me for it needed right away. I told him, if I learned how to make it better I'll change it, but it's just for me :P

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 05:38:26 pm
It looks like you would probably just be able to dial down your specular highlights and it would remove almost all of the plastic look.

Kerpow! http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Materials/Properties/Specular_Shaders

Offline G_Dragon

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 06:18:48 am
Jorund. Sorry, forgot to take the specularity out. Just go to the material settings for the object and find the specularity slider. Turn spec to 0.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 03:35:43 pm
It really looks like a perfectly smooth surface, plastic, even, surface with a grass texture imprinted upon it.

What are you using this for?  A lot of this would easily be solved with a normal map if you have the ability to apply one...
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 05:57:48 pm
Sorry again! I've founded the Specular setting and changed it in the one that I posted earlier. But I didn't removed it.
This one is with 0 Specular and a little adjustment on the light direction:

What are you using this for?  A lot of this would easily be solved with a normal map if you have the ability to apply one...
Is for a 2D game written in VBasic, I think. Don't know what you mean with normal map, sorry :(
I was asked to do a similar effect of the normal grass tile, but with the burned grass I did.

Offline G_Dragon

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 09:08:37 pm

http://indreams-studios.com/g_dragon/tiles.zip

Few modifications to my original file-
-Better texture system. Now any signs of tiling should be harder to notice. Also, specular maps and normal maps are quasi-automatically generated. If you want sharper/ higher contrast highlights and bumpiness, then go to the colour ramps in the texture node window (top rightish) And play with the position of the makers on the colour ramp. If you want to change the texture too, then there's a texture node in the same window. Everything else should work perfectly if you don't change the base mesh.
- Finding the specularity slider should be easier to find. Feel free to turn it to 0 or whatever works.
- The mesh now has a displacement map. In other words, the mesh is also bumpy. You can change it in the mesh edit menu.
- The scene supports "linear workflow". In other words, when the scene renders, the scene will be really dark then it'll lighten up at the last moment. That is normal.
- If you change the camera angle, then do this.
    1- Make sure the mesh is selected and clear the scale (alt+s)
    2- Pull out a scientific calculator. Plug in this formula- (1/sin(cameraangle))*meshscale
        - If you didn't scale the mesh, then ignore the *meshscale
        - If you want the camera to use the typical pixel isometric camera angle, then you'll need to clear the rotation on the camera (alt+r) rotate the camera 90 degrees on the x axis (r x 90) then pull out the scientific calculator and plug in atan(0.5) and go back to blender and rotate the camera again without clearing the rotation (r x - then the number). After that, scale the mesh's y axis with this formula (1/sin(90-atan(0.5)))*meshscale.
    3- Scale the y axis with the calculator's output (s y then the number)

Hopefully that all makes sense and works for you.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 05:55:43 pm
I forgot to tell you G Dragon. The blend file you gave me work perfectly! Thanks a lot again :D

I end up using this:

Then with a little bit of edit in PS I made them tileable with the rest of the thing I had.
But really, it was great. I didn't even know Blender could create tiles based on an image.

Thanks again!  :)

Offline G_Dragon

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 01:45:00 am
No problem, glad I could help.