AuthorTopic: Warhammer Space marine 16 x 16  (Read 11599 times)

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Re: Warhammer Space marine 16 x 16

Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 03:05:47 pm

I tried to make my own sprite from scratch. I'm not sure if it succeeded, so here the points I tried to consider:

* Silhouette: In your reference the ultramarine is divided in two parts: upper and lower part. The upper part is mainly one big closed shape and the lower parts contains two legs (skinny thights and thick feet). Yours is not seperated enough, just one big blob instead of one with two legs (mostly because of the black shadow).

* Details vs. Flat areas: Your version lacks in simplicity. Often the pixel are obscure, it's unclear if it's a detail or a shading of a otherwise flat area.

If you are unsure what I did, please ask, I'll try to elaborate.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 03:16:16 pm
I like some of the things in your sprite like the gun, but not others like your helmet design. As for the leg silhoette, the black shadow is part of showing depth on a background tile, so not sure if that is an entirely fair point. ;)

Also, I tried to keep relatively accurate to the reference whereas you changed the gun and raised it to make it work better. I suppose it's a thin line between accuracy and readability.

I don't think you have enough contrast within the sprite around the helmet and suit, where the details are relatively unclear. The thicker legs and shoulder armour might work better though.

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 04:12:16 pm
I think that that genestealer is looking way to tall/fat, they don't stand you've drawn it, looking like some bulky mutant :P
also I agree the terminator is small.

note different base sizes

you should also make scouts.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 04:16:40 pm
More changes. Refined bottom of marine helmet, lightened lightest blue. Raised up gun and made it more recognisable whilst keeping black base colour. Thickened and refined some areas of armour. Some tweaks to browns->reds, added more purple to genestealer. Made terminator bulkier, and tried different approach to helmet.

* Terminator still using marine weapon.
* Yes, Gene stealer is not quite right. I found it very difficult to get a good pose for a reference. Whilst I can appreciate models are in more dynamic poses, I need a more balanced pose in terms of feet for these standing sprites.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 04:33:09 pm
Maybe make the termie bigger than 16x16? or at least fill the square. You could make it a bit squatted, as long as you properly show that it's a brute.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 04:41:15 pm
I'll try to take some photos for you, I collect guardsmen but I should have a few liying around.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 04:50:46 pm
That would be cool!

Yep, still need to do some work on the terminator and genestealer.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 07:59:40 pm
I think I'll put this on the back-burner for now. I'll probably end up adapting these to remove copyright issues and use them in a future free game (turn based tactical probably).

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 08:23:14 pm
I think I'll put this on the back-burner for now. I'll probably end up adapting these to remove copyright issues and use them in a future free game (turn based tactical probably).

Allow me to suggest you something in the ways of Z instead.
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 08:33:00 pm
Naw, I'm not a big fan of RTS games.