AuthorTopic: Rings of Power (Genesis/Megadrive) World Map quest  (Read 22739 times)

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Re: Rings of Power (Genesis/Megadrive) World Map quest

Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 01:20:09 am
Dang.  I suck at this then.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 01:33:24 am
edit : nevermind
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:38:38 am by Dusty »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 03:33:27 am
Something like this I think works OK. Obviously if the art was made with a nicer 16 colour ramp from the get go it could be much improved. ROMHACK D:

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 03:14:09 pm
http://caverider.com/temp/rings_of_power_genesis_world_map.png

This is the final, clean map.

http://caverider.com/temp/ropmapani.gif

and this is the animated version, warning, 9 megabytes

This is all thanks to Dai

:D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:17:31 pm by Helm »

Offline Dai

• (scotch)
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 05:41:20 pm
My first instinct would be to bring the deep water blue much closer to the highlights, with lower sat green instead of cyan in the shallows. Their deep water transition is jarring and the highlights are noisy, for me. Aside from that, I think it'd end up looking a lot like ptoing's. The original colour set is quite a usable and appealing selection on the whole, no need to change the whole character of it. The other edits lose a lot of the colour range which is a problem when you have one palette on the whole world, but they'd make decent overcast and evening palettes. I think the game only has a night time palette swap? http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3445/3833258639_2dd43149db_m.jpg Maybe a wasted opportunity.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 06:05:47 pm
Yeah I pulled the deep blue up, perhaps it could be done further. I'm not sure if the deep blue is used anywhere else in the sprites besides the water, I mean majorly. I'd have to check, if not, it could use a lot of lightening.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 06:19:23 pm
I made a new color edit. I didn't post it since it was mostly a desaturated version's of Ptoing's anyway, and that it didn't use 5-bit colors.

But yes, the blues exist solely for the water and the occasional flag on buildings, and lowering the contrast does help the water quite a bit especially in taming the noisiness, though I feel it hurts the palette's full potential.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 08:18:33 am
Slightly related, I dumped Utopia (another isometric game) a few years ago. Never occurred to me to also dump the game maps and plot in ore/fuel deposits. Perhaps I should do that.

I generally prefer to dump (reverse engineer the gfx routines) over ripping (taking screenshots). In some cases that's not easily done though, Exile's map and Solar Jetman's sprites for example.

In Utopia the gfx were bitplaned, each with a different height but constant width. The heights were stored in a table. Since the game doesn't load during map scrolling and there's some complex design going on, I figure the map data must be pretty much uncompressed, probably a simple array. It's possible that they used bits of a byte as flags or something. Stuff like that is tricky to figure out.

Once you have the gfx and map data, writing a thing which draws the map is almost trivial. Of course, if you got that far you can also edit the gfx and map in the game. :D

With older games like in your example (actually, 1991, that's the same as Utopia), chances are that they had to use tricks to make things fit into memory and if that's the case, dumping is much harder. The iso map uses height in a way that Utopia doesn't.

I prefer seeing plain colors on maps like these, but graying a few colors to use as bridges (or just plain saturation contrast) might be a good idea. I'd definitely desat one of the grass greens. Helm pretty much did what I wanted to do, pulled in some desat blue in the darker green, warmed up the lit green. I see a problem with the grays though: in one case a light gray is a shadow, and in another it's the lit side. This creates an inconsistent feel if you're going for a consistent cold-warm ramp (roads/mountains feel cold). It might be possible to keep the light gray relatively cold instead, by warming up the white (but I'm not sure if you can afford not having a neutral white).

The chaotic dithering in the water is something I'd change.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:38:12 am by Arne »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 01:42:04 pm
I was noodling around, tweaking the colors, then I indexed the image with previous palette by mistake. Incidentally that was my 16 color palette. Surprisingly, it used my indexes pretty well. It just missed using my light cyan on the flags. (I don't mind the water being flat though.)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 02:14:11 pm by Arne »