AuthorTopic: Rings of Power (Genesis/Megadrive) World Map quest  (Read 22511 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Rings of Power (Genesis/Megadrive) World Map quest

Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 10:55:55 am
no, Dai has been using an emulator that's used for tas and with some hacking magic I don't understand he makes the character teleport a few paces, takes screenshot, teleports, screenshot etc and then he wrote something to stitch up the screenshots.

Hey, go right ahead and change the palette wherever, whenever.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 11:34:09 am

hardest thing is getting the deserts to look right with everything else. I ended up yellowing out most of the bright indexes to try and get a proper sand ramp - but it shares the white with the polar stuff, which is hard to sort.

I kinda like the original EGAness, jumps straight from bright pink to dark maroon like that-  and that green, and liberal use of gray... There's a certain charm in it.

The mountains are awesome.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:45:52 am by tocky »

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 11:58:07 am
Here is my edit, but only of the first screen (didn't think of taking other landmarks as well.)

I would have kept the grass relatively bright, but because the dirt walls have black as a significant part of their coloring, I chose to keep the browns dark and darken the grass instead to get comfortable contrast.

The portrait was a challenge since it affected the text box and the mat as well.  There needed to be a lowered contrast between the colors that make up the blatant airbrushing on the text box so that not only does it look better, but it makes the text more readable as well.

My biggest regret is that the house lost its red colors.  This is my fault though, for reducing the amount of colors too hastily (wanted to incorporate the dirt and the grass even further).

At this point the biggest improvements would come from actually editing the pixels, though I choose to just edit colors.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 05:39:21 pm
I had a nap before and I was dreaming of editing the color palette in the world map and thinking - in my dream - how it's all 16 colors reused on the whole world map and so it's practically impossible to do well since you need bright colors to differentiate climate variation in areas. In my dream, I reasoned that what I would end up doing was just desaturating the palette and putting a 'color spike' in the color wheel towards which I'd move most bright colors... which is what you both did in your edits.

So although dream-Helm agrees with you, I still feel there might be different ways to salvage the palette.

And yeah, I agree the mountain tile is just great great great.

in any case, you just have to keep the pure white.

Also do remember to bitstretch your results for 5bit colorspace, the genesis only had 512 colors full palette.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 06:32:09 pm
here's how I'd do it

it's not much, but I think it's enough before it becomes monochromatic. Perhaps I could play with the contrasts a bit but I kinda LIKE it bright and sunny.

edit: here's a further color balance modification click for bigness.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 06:43:15 pm by Helm »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 07:12:06 pm
I had another whack at it.

I think this meets the colour restriction, 3 bits for each of RGB?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 08:22:28 pm
I think it's 5 bits for every channel. Yours still look too monochromatic, like seen through a broken monitor almost!

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 12:58:15 am
A quick edit to try and address monochromaticness of my pic by making the main green less yellowish while keeping the brightest green the same:

I decided to go ahead and brighten to try and capture a bright day, and it turns out that brightening the dirt tiles don't clash with the black as much as I expected.  Probably poor perception of contrast under the darker conditions.

The Genesis controller is only becoming uglier and uglier as this happens, but IMO it shouldn't be there in the first place so I am not really worried.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:00:24 am by KittenMaster »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 01:13:01 am
Wow, those are some really brown edits.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 01:13:54 am
Yeah they look like filters more than a hand-picked palette.