AuthorTopic: I'm making a paint program, so useful tools, ideas and features required please  (Read 156462 times)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Oh I've found some info on how to convert from RGB to XYZ and from there to Hunter LAB or CIE L*ab..
So, this might be possible. I never knew there were so many colour schemes!  :P

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
LAB is somewhat like HSB only it naturally gravitates to pretty colors...heheh.

Did you ever feel like on the computer when you grab a blue and try to make it lighter it doesnt become ligther, but instead becomes a little purple? that never happens with LAB

I think I know what you mean about the animation preview.....I basically just want what I have on ggale :p

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Ok, I will see what I can do. :)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
DONE:

Added floating brush cursors.
Engine modifications to make things more flexible internally.
Added animation icon (still not happy with this) for animation support.
Many bugfixes.

I'm a little hesitant to post a screenshot because I know some people will not like how things look, or will want to try a build straight away (which is still not quite ready). I am open to feature ideas and change suggestions, but the basic look and design is now fixed. It is primarily free software for my own (and friend's use) after all!

Still I've posted a picture from my machine running in a window at 1024 x 768. It is able to run at different screenmodes and window sizes as long as the minimum size is 1024 x 768.

Some things to note from the picture:

Large palette area so no fiddly colour selection. This shrinks vertically at 1024 x 768 (as shown) to allow more GUI space. At higher screen resolutions the palette entries are square.
4 Pens: Left, right mouse button and left and right with shift (working)
Style: Black and grey GUI look with coloured icons. I'm going for this look so that the icons stand out but the main areas of black and grey don't overpower the main edited image.
As you can see it's primarily icon and text based with nearly everything happening in the large panel to the left.
Most operations will only take a few clicks, for example load is two clicks to bring up the file selector (Image->Load), Box and filled box are one mouse click, etc..
The GUI sliders are just placeholders and not displaying properly yet, but are usable in that you can select a brush size from 1-64 pixels in size.

http://www.funkemunke.com/Pixe.png

Well, be kind!  :-[

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
Looks promising, but I imagine the high saturation and contrast could really kill the eyes in short order, not to mention the colour polluting effects. A quick edit keeping the same style but making it easier on the eyes and retaining readability. I reduced the brightness of the icons by half and the saturation by a quarter and made the background quarter intensity grey.

I'm sure I've already mentioned this in my list, but in regard to palette tools I think good consolidation tools are very important and worth restating. The ability to sort colours based on any component in the supported colour spaces, the ability to similarity cluster within any of the supported colour spaces, and the ability to easily merge good consolidation candidates (eg. select multiple palette entries, hit key to merge) should do the trick.

Another nice palette feature could be the ability to split the undo stack into separate image and palette stacks. I often tweak some colours do some pixelling, then regret the colour changes and want to undo them, but can't without loosing the pixel work I've done since.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I tried a couple of the Blitwise demos with Wine, one worked fine, the other locked up on the loading screen. Not perfect, but not without hope either.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:05:04 am by surt »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Well, can't really say I like the greyed out version, although I understand the icons could be too vivid. Perhaps an option for pastel shades would be useful..
Thanks for the other suggestions. I will try to add them to the list.

I'm not very well today, but hope to feel better soon.
BTW: Which Blitwise demo didn't work?

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Well, I was hoping for a little more response.. Perhaps it looks too different to other paint programs, people aren't so keen on yet another paint program?
I'll still keep plugging away anyway! ;)

Offline Jad

• View Profile
Sorry guy : D

Anyways, yes, pastels please, that'd be great. I really want some pastels.

Right now the environment isn't very art-friendly, the blackness and bright colors make it hard to imagine making pixel art that doesn't look like llamatron, so some greyness and pastels would help greatly with that.

Doesn't look too different, but it does make me think about odl computar days. O:
' _ '

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Fair enough. I will have it as an option at least..

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
I had an idea and chose to reserve it, but if you're going to make options, maybe you could enable it so that the artists could create their own? Such as creating their own icons to implement and tool box borders and such. that would really be something I don't think i've seen before!