AuthorTopic: Return of the NINJA!  (Read 29365 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: Return of the NINJA!

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 04:50:18 pm
I remember you mentioning a game. Go ahead and DO IT already! Looking pretty good so far, in a cheesy sort of way :)

The "Scene IV" image was bothering me a bit.
Dunno why, but the sword hilt made my mind go "omg a FAGINA"... specially after where it's positioned , in the composition...
I did an edit, using a trick i usually do to help with human figure construction in perspective.
Basically, i do a profile of the figure, then tilt it so it matches the perspective somewhat, trace horizontal lines of the most significant body "landmarks" (where the body joints are, nipple placement), and then re-draw the body, following the lines which indicate me the vertical distances of the body. Don't really have a technique for knowing how much foreshortening to apply to each part, i just wing and eye-ball it.
Hope it helps.

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 10:48:53 pm

Wow, you can see her kidneys!

Will this game have violence and gore?

Offline Jigsaw

• お前はもう死んでいる。
    • View Profile
    • Josef Axner: Digital Art Portfolio

Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 04:05:11 pm
Looks great, I'm really digging the character design.

As for the animation, I'm certainly no expert but I agree that it needs to have more of a crouch before she goes back to her neutral pose. As someone said before, it doesn't really look as if she's leaping over the edge, but rather that she's just sort of sliding or hovering up. If you make it more into an actual jump, which she then lands from (crouching), and then have her stand up again, I think it would make the motion more dynamic and better convey the feeling you're going for.
Additionally, I think the way she bends her legs also takes away from the impression that she's pulling herself up with the power of her arms - if her legs were completely straight in frames 2 and 3 I think it would look more like she's pulling herself up (or rather pushing herself off) the edge, with the legs just sort of trailing after.

I'm no authority on animation though, so take my advice with a grain of salt. In any event, I definitely look forward to seeing more of this!

edit: threw together a quick edit.

Could be made a lot more interesting of course, but I think the timing and basic motion looks a little bit better at least...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:03:59 pm by Jigsaw »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 05:11:54 pm
How does she gain horiziontal speed? She grips the edge and pushes herslef up, but on frame 4 she has a pose as if the leap was only half her body length high and she had room to jump forward a bit before gripping the edge. I suggest adjusting frame 1 to be slightly off the wall, and rotated to the right, probably with the fingers just hitting the edge, then modify frame 2 to be relevant to frame 1 and 3.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 05:16:19 pm
Hmm... This is what I was proposing earlier. I can't animate it, and it was a very quick move-stuff-around edit, but I think you get the idea:

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 06:23:57 pm
If that was a response to my post, note that I was talking about horizontal speed appearing out of nowhere in the 4th frame, and integrating that better, not the vertical speed. In fact, your edit is much less logical, as you are unlikely to jump with such brute force you push yourself up way high above the ground.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 06:33:38 pm
My edit was elaborating on my suggestions earlier posted.

As for the logic of it... she already said she's trying to emphasize the strength of her pull. Hence why mines gives illogical brute force strength behind it.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 05:47:59 am

that makes MUCH more sense. I'm suddenly seeing very clearly where she was going from the beggining with this.

Goes to show you can fix a problem without revamping the whole thing...like I usually do C.c

I'm kinda doubtful, cause cutting as many frames as posible is my current obsession, but I do think this one would benefit from it. Usually if you go relaxed->effort->exagerated result->relaxed result it makes quite the impressive motion....for attack. But  considering the aproach, it'd probably fit this dragging anim too.

And I totally agree about the sword-cunt. I only thought it was some diamond thing because of the geometry...but before your conscious side makes that judgement, your unconscious totally goes CUNT!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:01:06 am by Conceit »

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 10:44:14 am
*ahem* That aside, I like where you're going with this. More indie game characters should have legs like that!

As for her climbing-up animation, I think it would look better if she ended in a crouch, rather than just standing straight up as soon as her feet land.

She's supposed to get back to the standard idle pose after pulling herself up. And that pretty much goes for every action she does.

The "Scene IV" image was bothering me a bit.
Dunno why, but the sword hilt made my mind go "omg a FAGINA"... specially after where it's positioned , in the composition...

And I totally agree about the sword-cunt. I only thought it was some diamond thing because of the geometry...but before your conscious side makes that judgement, your unconscious totally goes CUNT!

Haha! You two are real perceptive!

Yes, it was intended that you would see that in the sword-guard.
I had created a symbol a long time ago which is supposed to be a symbol of woman-strength and power. You'll see from my artwork below that the shapes suggest a vulva and a breast. That's intentional.
I used the vulva shape for the sword-guard.  :P

Basicly where I'm trying to go with this ninja character is that she's intentionally a sex-symbol, but in a non-derogatory way. She's a proud and powerful woman.
It's hard for me to explain where I'm going with all this without people pointing and saying "OMG! You're a pervert!".
If you're open-minded and really think outside the box with what I'm trying to acheive, I think you'll get it. Anyway, the story will make more sense when I reveal it.  ;)

Will this game have violence and gore?

Oh you better believe it, buster. Not TOO much gore though.

And thank you very much, Turbo, for the tip and trick on achieving angled perceptions. I'll be using that.  :)

And thank you very much, Jigsaw, for your edit and tips. I got a real good feel from it, and I managed to come up with this...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:48:30 am by Ryona »

Offline Jigsaw

• お前はもう死んでいる。
    • View Profile
    • Josef Axner: Digital Art Portfolio

Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 11:28:48 am
I still think it needs a crouch at the end, but the hoisting motion is infinitely better. You definitely manage to get across the feeling that she's flinging herself up over the edge (the motion itself looks a lot sexier too), but the landing needs to be "heavier" to really sell that she's actually airborne. A pose similar to the 4th frame in the original animation put in between frames 5 and 6 of the new one should make it look more natural.