AuthorTopic: [G.D] What are you musical tastes and favourite bands?  (Read 53825 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: [G.D] What are you musical tastes and favourite bands?

Reply #50 on: May 18, 2008, 08:11:55 pm
The Pillows

Muse

The Sound of Animals Fighting (and basically anything with Anthony Green in it.)

Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer

I listen to Kohina Radio for my chiptune fix. Game music remixes and and bands like Megadriver. <3

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 06:02:05 am
Upon review of Xelandos Nafshir's posts I have come to the conclusion that he is a robot.
...really though, do you actually think you'd be ridiculed for video game music on a pixel art forum?

My current #1 favourite band is MGMT. I'm also diggin' Justice.

Various other favourites include:
Lupe Fiasco
Jimi Hendrix
The Strokes
The White Stripes
Interpol
Led Zeppelin
N.E.R.D.
Gorillaz
Muse
The Hives
The Flaming Lips
Kings Of Leon
Daft Punk

and so on and so forth.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #52 on: May 20, 2008, 02:22:36 pm
do you actually think you'd be ridiculed for video game music on a pixel art forum?

People will ridicule anything if they think they can get away with it. Thankfully, a person doesn't get away with it very often without bringing negative attention to themselves. Sharing personal information is even worse.

Actually, if you had just posted the game music instead of saying you're afraid to get ridiculed, you would have been less ridiculed then you are now.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: May 20, 2008, 02:25:18 pm
Crab2selout already admitted he listens to Celine Dion elsewhere in these forums, an' I'm pretty sure you can't go much worse than that D:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #54 on: May 20, 2008, 05:07:16 pm
People will ridicule anything if they think they can get away with it. Thankfully, a person doesn't get away with it very often without bringing negative attention to themselves. Sharing personal information is even worse.

everyone is entitled to their own musical preferences, seems a little immature to not post because your afraid of possible confrontation.  Plus you bring a lot of negative attention to yourself.

now please don't derail this anymore.

I started listening to a guy called Cas Haley, who was on America's Got Talent.  check it out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yuqjYeXBLJE

better than sting imo.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 05:03:33 am
I got back from paganfest last night, and i'm still hurting from it.

The bands that played were all completely awesome.
VIKING METAL!

The opening act Was ELUVEITIE (say it - EL-OH-VAY-TEE):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtdvoKpLevc
Let it be known that they have the goddamn craziest flute player of al time. Everybody in this band is at least 6 feet tall. Even the chick.

Coming directly after them, The more more melodic TYR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97lxvrKC-nI (Orumun Langi. It's in faroese so don't try to understand it.)
Now everybody in tTHIS band was like Nine feet tall. I exaggerate but they're some huge dudes and would NOT want to have to meet them in a back alley. Anyone who says these guys suck should probably just go jump off a cliff.

Third in the lineup was TURISAS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrQxr-8neyo (BATTLE METAL!)
These guys stole the entire show. The frontman is a real enterainer, and they know how to get the crowd to move.
Plus to go up on stage in war paint and leather and fur armor which is ten kinds of awesome.
Unlike the previous two bands these folks were actually kind of tiny and it was great.

THe Headlining act - ENSIFERUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs8giIGt1jE
At this point i was pretty well smashed. NOt alcohol, but after three hours of vikings smashing your face in, ensiferum was almost too much for me.
Back with the giant norsemen. The lead singer, i swear does not age. he looked like an overgrown 15 year old boy.

I still hurt from the experience. I did get to see some pretentious scenester type kid git his ass beat by a bunch of beardly monsters in a mosh pit that had formed. Sorry, but you don't try to be fashionable in an environment that is populated by overweight muscleheads with a norse fixation. you're pretty much asking to be tossed unceremoniously about, and you ESPECIALLY don't try to do the OMG HARDK0R3" bullshit dnacing when everyone is out for blood. it's just foolish. But he got what he had comin'.

I just listened to the self-titled Woven Hand today. Pretty cool stuff!
Good to know at least somebody is listening to my prattling on :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:05:12 am by Corsair »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 10:09:34 am
well, once I've used to be really orthodox when it came to music in general and my musical tastes were well-established. this was when I was listening to Heavy Metal. however, it became boring. then I went through pretty much everything, broadening my musical tastes to be large in scope. I ain't restricting myself to any particular genre.

anyway, now I'm reviving my old memories with The Crystal Method. also recently, I got enchanted by some light chilling rock in the form of MGMT -- yes, it's *just* indie, but those guys are good.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 07:51:37 pm
I heard The Offspring on the radio today in my art class, and almost punctured the eye on my sculpture because they've got a new song out. A few years ago they were all I would listen to.  ::)

Album comes out on June 17th!

www.offspring.com - you can download one of their new songs, Hammerhead.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 02:01:34 am
I find good things in all music. Unfortunately, I cant have all music. I have Ben Folds playing right now.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 02:50:09 am
I like a lot of different, weird music.

BOREDOMS -- A marvelous fusion of tribal drumming and sounds that you'd swear were made by an alien spacecraft traveling through the minds of the gods.  "Super Going" from the album "Super ae" is a great song to check out, as is the entirety of the album "Vision Creation Newsun"

the rest are in no particular order

GREAT LAKE SWIMMERS -- Thoughtful songs sung by a haunting voice with a backing band of folk musicians.  Their albums are recorded in resonant natural spaces, such as a grain silo or an old town hall, creating a rich atmosphere.  The songs are all great, with masterful lyrics.

PANDA BEAR -- His "Person Pitch" album is like a lesson in chilling out.  A great example of how to use samples so that the end result doesn't sound too sampled.  And his heavily reverb'd and multi-tracked beach-boys-esque voice adds to the chill-factor.

YES -- Some of their songs are pretty cheesy but on the whole Yes is a group of remarkable musicians.  The compositions are all multi-layered, richly detailed and completely engrossing.  Great music to get lost in.

CHRISTOPHER WILLITS -- Collages of sound are made by Willits by slicing up guitar tracks and re-arranging them into sparkling melodies in which the clips of sound where the tracks are cut become tiny flecks of rhythmic percussion.  Then he layers on breathy vocals with electric harmonies, smooth syrupy horns and tight drumming to create music that is sugary like candy or silky like milk.

ERIC WHITACRE -- Speaking of electric harmonies, if you want to see Jesus's eyes, go listen to "Lux Aurumque" from the "Cloudburst" album.  So many notes are stacked on top of one another in Whitacre's a cappela choral works that each note blends into the next until it is like the sonic equivalent of a sunbeam that can be split into a spectrum of colors.  So amazing are these chords that they are commonly referred to as "Whitacre chords".

VALGEIR SIGURDSSON -- Bjork's producer has an album out called "Ekvilibrium" and on it is some amazing music.  "Focal Point" has sounds that almost remind you of something you heard once, but most of them sound like the sonic discharges of a machine made out of glass and polished marble.  "Equilibrium is Restored", which puts the listener into an immediate state of calm, sounds like a children's toy falling down a set of stairs in an underwater house.  "Before Nine" includes some of the most heart-wrenching cello music imaginable, and "Kin" makes you feel both intangible and infinite.

also

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
SHAKTI
THE ACORN
DEERHOOF
BORIS
BRIAN ENO
SIGUR ROS
MY BLOODY VALENTINE
ELVIS COSTELLO
STEVE REICH
THE HARVEY GIRLS