AuthorTopic: Any good SHMUP-tutorials? Pixeling them  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Warwolt

• View Profile

Any good SHMUP-tutorials? Pixeling them

on: March 23, 2008, 07:48:45 pm
Ive just started pixeling again after a long brake, and Ive got my hands over some SHUMPs before. And as we all know good SHMUPs (Like DDP) are the drool. And IŽd like to atleast TRY to get deacent at pixeling SHMUP, or scrolling shooters in general, but IŽd like to see if theres a tutorial or such for these kinds of things? Or do I just have to study DDP and such in detail and work endless nights to improve my abillity?  ???

Thanks in Advance!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Any good SHMUP-tutorials? Pixeling them

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 03:30:38 pm
Good pointer for life in general: Do NOT expect readymade solutions for anything you might wanna do.

Indeed, just study already done things (like DDP), hone your traditional art/drawing skills, experiment. You will get there. But there are no shortcuts or magical tutorials that will help you skip practise.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline gamesmaster

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:01:47 am
Good pointer for life in general: Do NOT expect readymade solutions for anything you might wanna do.

Indeed, just study already done things (like DDP), hone your traditional art/drawing skills, experiment. You will get there. But there are no shortcuts or magical tutorials that will help you skip practise.

Look no one is trying to find a way to skip practice.People ask these type of questions so they can make the time they spend on this more productive.The general idea being there are people more experienced than me on this site that no doubt had trouble starting maybe they didn't get really good until they ran into that one technique that really made it click for them.It's not that you're trying to get out of work but you're trying to cut through all the BS  so you don't get frustrated and quit before you get any good.
Fortune favors The Bold
                                               Avery Brooks

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 07:12:48 am
didn't get really good until they ran into that one technique that really made it click for them.

No such thing. Pure fantasy.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 07:31:59 am
didn't get really good until they ran into that one technique that really made it click for them.
No such thing. Pure fantasy.
Disagree. Every once in a while, 'bout once a year, I experience a moment of clarity where I try something new, and it works, and my skill in one thing will suddenly jump. BUT this ALWAYS happens when I've been constantly drawing for a long period of time (like, daily, for 3-6 weeks).
Of course, I might just be a dwarf. :D

More on-topic though: I think what a lot of people want is to know what to practice drawing in order to learn things, like, guide their practice. I'd find it hard to believe there's no merit to that, too, since it's kind of what traditional education is based around, no? ;)
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 08:22:15 am
what you're experiencing is the Level Up!~ after practise and consistent thought about art, and yes, in my experience it also often is a notable jump. Like, I'd draw for a few days and then not draw for a couple, and when I draw again everything seems to flow better. What they're looking for is a magical shortcut that removes the thought and practise grind and just gives you levels for free. It's a very damaging mindset that creates art thiefs, artist pretenders and worst of all, discouraged never-did-anything grumbly could-have-beens.