AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #1: Mobility!  (Read 123946 times)

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #1

Reply #50 on: August 19, 2007, 04:42:39 pm
Does it have to be an original idea?

Or can we do a Mario game?

why would you want to do a mario game.  part of the fun of this challenge is creating your own characters and concepts and then pixelling them.
I don't mean a Mario game, I mean a mario style game.

Actually, I think I've got a better idea.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:45:50 pm by Soup »

Offline ep

• View Profile
    • my deviantArt

Reply #51 on: August 19, 2007, 09:25:28 pm
Did you mean mario game as in a scrolling platformer?

I got an idea for one based off a game I used to play on the calculator, problem is figuring out a good way to represent it without it sucking to bad.

Offline KAT

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: August 19, 2007, 11:12:21 pm
Welcome, KAT!  Great start - some things you could work on would be:

1 - Making the bombs and barrel stand out more from the background.  Since they're the main point of the game they should be highly visible!

2 - Try avoid outlines if you can; sometimes outlines are great, but it is always good to practice NOT needing them, too.  Your cloud in the sky is the most appealing part of the design I think!

3 - Sharing colors.  You're actually already doing this some, but its more because there's a lot of gray in your piece period I think.  Think about it more in terms of individual shades being able to be applied to multiple color ramps or surfaces...

4 - I would think about ways to engage the player, such as adding some character to the barrel or bombs, or making a slightly more intuitive setting.  E.g. maybe there is a reason that bombs are falling, or the barrel is actually a little robot, etc.  Just examples; how can you take this beyond a generic street scene and make it memorable?

Good work so far, can't wait to see the next pass!

1) Agree, but how can i do it? I`m noob and that mockup is 3rd pixel art in my live :) Any advice or example?

2) Ok, but in this mockup i want outlines. I like this cloud too ;)

3) Maybe you can show me how can i do it? I'll be thankful if you do that.

4) Yeap, great idea but my skills are not good enough to draw it :(

Thanks for an answer.

Owww one more thing: I hate buildings in this mockup... they are flat and ugly :\ I dont have any idea how can i correct them.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: August 20, 2007, 12:04:07 am

Pressing the button rolls the joint. The faster you press the faster you roll it, but dont lose the rhythm or you don't roll the joint as good. Better joints get you better highs. Better highs = more points :lol:.

Needs a lot of work. It was fun to draw though. HUD elements to be added soon.

EDIT: Updatz0r
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:48:03 pm by am_pm »

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: August 20, 2007, 12:55:20 am

?

Pressing the button rolls the joint. The faster you press the faster you roll it, but dont lose the rhythm or you don't roll the joint as good. Better joints get you better highs. Better highs = more points :lol:.

Needs a lot of work. It was fun to draw though. HUD elements to be added soon.
Ahahahaha nice, maybe have the Green-out meeter be your guide, you want  to get the roll to stay in the middle, falls short you don't get high enough less points, roll toooo well and you green-out and are unable to roll anymore lol. Neat idea.

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #55 on: August 20, 2007, 06:46:50 am
Morse Code Revolution

Similar to the Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero type games where you have to press a button in time to a specific icon that moves along your screen...(hard to explain if you haven't played it before).

Uses only one button for user input. Player must press the button when the white morse code dot reaches the button shown on the screen. Either tapping it for single dots or holding it for a bit longer for the stretched dot.

Challenges include speed typing and paragraphs containing long difficult words. The meter on the right shows your current success rate, keeping it up the top means you are balanced. Any lower means you are making a lot of mistakes or are too slow.

Points are displayed along the bottom in the form of currency. After all, your job as a telegram operator has got its benefits ;)

Didn't spend too long on this, should be around 21 colours or so...

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: August 20, 2007, 06:53:01 am
Finally got down and did this... dunno a name for it.

I believe it's 12 colors+transparency. I had a hard time getting a lot to fit in such a small area with such a large scale on the setting. I also had a problem thinking of how to do the gerbil ball... so I ended up 'cutting' it in half so you could see inside it, as I felt it robbed a lot by not actually showing the gerbil.
So, you're a gerbil(I think that's what it is), that has been left in your ball while everyone went out. The point of the game is to travel through the house in your gerbil ball and make it back to your cage where you'll be safe and comfy. You'll go through various rooms, basement, child's room(mock-up), kitchen, and the list goes on. Anyways, the one button is to jump. You'll jump depending on how long you hold the button. Also, you'll keep going in a direction until you hit a wall, if you hit a wall you'll bounce and go in the other direction. The longer you go without changing directions the more speed you build. Last but not least, the 'scoring' is gaining pellets. You start off with a certain amount of pellets on each level(resets on each level), and gain them while you play. Your pellet count continuously drain while you're playing, so you have to keep them replenished by being fast and accurate.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: August 20, 2007, 11:40:01 am

Worked on this a little more, but I'm having trouble with the sky :). Dithering is not my forte.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #58 on: August 20, 2007, 12:49:18 pm
am_pm: I don't know what I've been smoking but I first thought "rolls your joint" meant "crack your knuckles" and to be honest, I thought it sounded like a great game concept.

RhysD: Excellent idea! People would actually want to play that game and learn morse code at the same time! Well... nerds would.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #59 on: August 20, 2007, 03:48:20 pm
RhysD - hilarious!  I'd boost your contrast a little bit, otherwise awesome :D

Dusty - Great start.  The hamster is almost completely unreadable though!  I'd give him a little more love beofre you call it a day.  Great start though, and funny idea; I think Sonic the Hedgehog was built on basically the same principle :P

Ceddo - killer progress, keep it comin!!