AuthorTopic: Weekly Event Idea : Mockup Frenzy  (Read 8305 times)

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Weekly Event Idea : Mockup Frenzy

on: August 13, 2007, 05:29:37 pm
I think most people would have to agree that mockups and/or game sprites seem to be the most popular submissions on the boards, and personally I find them the most fun thing to pixel. My idea for a weekly event would be to have people create game Mockups based on the current topic, and (Possibly) even have a set pallet or game type ie: Platformer, Shooter, RPG, etc. Just thought I would through out the idea, would be a nice thing to look forward to each week, and having a week to work on it would also be quite nice.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Weekly Event Idea : Mockup Frenzy

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:11:58 am
sounds fun, will probably recieve a better turnout though if 'twere biweekly or even monthly; many of the people here are more busy with other things much of the time.  I spend several hours on the road each day and the rest at work or catching up on backed-up projects, and personally find myself looking at the pixeljoint weekly challenges and realizing that even if i like the topic, i won't usually have a few hours that week to set aside to really participate.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:28:12 am
Well, it could always be platform specific mock-ups. Posting the specs of a system, like the NES, pallette and such and having the contestants make the game possible to 'play' on the specific console.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:31:34 am
I am not adverse to the idea and I really need to make more game mockups so I could participate perhaps, but remember that a full mockup usually means work that contributes to about 30% of a level tileset or so, which is quite a bit of work to get done. I suggest monthly. And system specs would work, yes.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 04:50:09 am
System specs could be fun but often lead to lots and lots of questions (some of which don't always ahve answers)...something more in the spirit of the old palette challenges might be a good way to limit them as well.  This could include classic palettes from old systems, or simple rules that are similar to old system specs, just not quite so terribly detailed (just for the sake of accessibility).  I also agree that a one month time limit would be great!

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 06:21:43 pm
Yeah I see your point monthly would probably be the best bet. Perhaps at the beginner of each month have a topic along with a pallet available and maybe even size restrictions? Will be a fun project. Glad to see everyone enjoys the idea as much as I do.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:27 pm
I agree that size and palette sounds like plenty as far as restrictions are concerned, no need to jump overboard :P.

Would probably be smart too to name subjects, even vague ones.

Why not start one now/soon?  No need to wait until the beginnings of the month, those dates are arbitrary anyhow just like most human measurements.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:40:40 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:24:47 pm
I think this is a wonderful idea. I often find myself doodling little sprites or a tile here and there, but that's about it, so I'm all for a little extra motivation and inspiration. :D Personally, I think restrictions make for great practice, and learning the limitations of different systems might make older games seem a tad more impressive with knowing what the artists had to work with. :)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:00:55 pm
awesome idea, however i think 2 weeks would be a more appropriate time frame, if any time frame at all.  a thread could just be setup with pallettes and restrictions and everyone could just pixel a certain mockup whenever they like and add it to the thread.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:26:32 pm
2 weeks does sound better to me but the moderators probably have a better sense of the participation levels around here.  One thing for certain though is going too long means interest is lost.
A mistake is a mistake.