AuthorTopic: [WIP] Full body Leather Armor  (Read 14769 times)

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Full body Leather Armor

Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 03:20:27 pm
well i managed to make it have the color more like brown leather, but i still cant get its leathery look :-\ i made eyeholes to see, and some holes in the mouth to breathe. Added spikes and a crescent moon on his head to make him look different then every other mask. hope i took at least a little step towards the right direction  :)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 03:22:31 pm by chigsam »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 03:38:55 pm
I'm just gonna quote myself.

You've changed the overall shape of the thing, yes. You've also gotten rid of the dithering. However, you've kept exactly the same lighting as in your initial attempt. This means the forms are still flat, shapeless, there's no volume. Go back to basics. Forget the texture. Excise completely the idea of attempting details, until you've gotten at least a basic understanding of lighting and how form affects it.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 03:40:15 pm
aah crap i keep forgeting the lighting! sorry! in my next edit i will for sure :)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 03:47:41 pm
well i managed to make it have the color more like brown leather

This are gray colors. this is more like a stone mask 

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 09:06:50 pm
For a novice (being myself the uberskilled master ::)), I always suggest trying to put the lightsource above the object they are shading, for it gives a better understanding on the shape of the object, and it is symetrical :P

A basic example that doesn't really resemble leather (and resembles more clay, perhaps a few sticthes and stuff like roughness and it'd look like leather...):

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 10:44:59 pm
Alevice's "edit" is good, try something like that chigsam. For leather though, reduce the contrast (which you never seem to use anyway.)

Offline PASSOUT

• The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 12:38:57 am
For a novice (being myself the uberskilled master ::)), I always suggest trying to put the lightsource above the object they are shading, for it gives a better understanding on the shape of the object, and it is symetrical :P

A basic example that doesn't really resemble leather (and resembles more clay, perhaps a few sticthes and stuff like roughness and it'd look like leather...):

Thats money right there. :P
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 03:35:45 pm

i raised his cheeks up and made his signature symbol raise up a little too. thanks for that reference picture  :y:

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 04:18:01 pm
You're missing the point. Forget the details like the symbol and the mouth-hole-things. Your shading on the mask itself is barely changed at all, and it still looks flat.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 04:35:47 pm
Well I, for one, am throwing in the towel.