AuthorTopic: [WIP] Full body Leather Armor  (Read 14697 times)

Offline Mighty Pea

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Full body Leather Armor

Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 06:39:05 pm
Allow me to pick it up, like the sap i am:

You've basically remade the same exact thing over and over again. The most basic of things you needed to address was that it didn't *look like leather, or a mask. Take a look at materials, and specifically their specularity. Change the colours to be a fair bit darker and saturated, and introduce some details like bumps and stitches.
There's always room for disagreement with critiques, but you've agreed with them, and then just haven't taken them far enough.

Here's a kind of leather mask: http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/285297/2/istockphoto_285297_leather_mask.jpg
Don't mind the fact that it's not exactly the same shape as yours, but try to understand the material of it.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: July 12, 2007, 02:20:27 pm
I used Mighty Peas picture as a refrence. not the same style before but it still is a mask and has the same eyeholes. didnt finsish it yet becuase i wanted to know if it was bad before i finished

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: July 12, 2007, 02:46:04 pm
It still doesn't look like something you could wear.
It's like it's just a flat slan, you know, with embossed parts, like a relief.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 03:07:12 pm
Can I suggest scrapping what you have and making a new mask on a 3/4 angle.
I think you'll really benefit from it, and as a bonus, you need an avatar and if you pixel it on a 100x100 canvas, you'll have one.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 12, 2007, 03:14:48 pm
Scrapping it, GREAT IDEA! ya and i do need an avatar. 3/4? like your avatar angle. if so then thats a great idea. The leather texture is going to be the only problem :yell:

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #35 on: July 12, 2007, 04:14:00 pm
The leather texture is going to be the only problem
not really seeing as the leather texture has been the last thing you should have been concerning yourself with this entire time.

This is what you should be doing...

I will go through the steps, this is in no way about the texture, its about forms, volume and lighting (texture is to small a scale to be dealing with at this stage).
Step 1: Create the shape of the object. A silhouette of the object is all that you need to begin.
Step 2: Highlight the areas that would be being hit by any light at all. (This tutorial is very sloppy so it misses a number of areas.)
Step 3: Aren't some areas hit by more light then that? Yes, then highlight these areas more, the top of cheeks, the brow, the nose, the forehead and chin are all hit by more light then the rest of the face as the light is coming from the top.
Step 4: Repeating step 3 essentially!!!

This little sum up of how to portray depth through your shading misses a lot but is simple and hopefully you can take something from it. When drawing something you are giving an illusion of an image. An image itself is made up solely of light being deflected back at you in different ways, or not being deflected back at you. Light performs a lot more actions then the ones i detailed here and so this is a very basic outlook at how you should be shading.

So what is texture in an graphical sense? texture is the small scale material shapes and forms that change the manner the light reflects, and hence the way we perceive the image. If you just draw a texture you just draw a flat material, you have to think of the object without a texture first so that you can make it look 3 dimensional.

***EDIT***
Just thought I would let you know I am really just recanting what everyone has said before, and what a number of people have said in critique of your other pieces. I am just trying to say it in a way that is hopefully more understandable and 'step by step' for your benefit.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 04:21:26 pm by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 04:23:36 pm
thank you zeid. i will make sure to use these steps right now while im making my mask into a 3/4 mask without any texture at this early stage  ;D