AuthorTopic: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP  (Read 42868 times)

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Re: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP

Reply #100 on: November 21, 2007, 09:31:18 pm
I hope Im not coming off as rude but I look at what I have and think that I will go ahead with the current guy.  True it needs shading, but I like the position.  I am thinking however about making him kneeling or something.  Not sure if I dig the bridge part.  Perhaps a battle torn countryside would be a better choice.  As for including the tank, there is no room and I have been told I should go smaller.  Right now I am stuck on how to make a more dynamic pose, so keep reading and viewing, because I appreciate all the advise.  Thanks again!

Jack
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:14:21 pm by JackBauer24 »

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #101 on: November 23, 2007, 02:46:48 am
Heres an update of sorts.  I am currently taking a break from WWII.  I don't want to start a new thread so I will post what I have in this one.  I decided to do a GMC 5500 truck done up in Jurassic Park colors.  It has a cage and other cool stuff on it.  Its not done yet, just now getting going on it.  Colors will be altered when needed, etc.  Enjoy.  Note:  This is not going to happen.  I wasn't thinking.  Back to the WWII scene!

Jack

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:59:42 pm by JackBauer24 »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #102 on: November 23, 2007, 08:41:30 am
You just jump from piece to piece without adressing what people tell you to adress to become a better artist. Lighting, shading, perspective of three dimensional primitives. This is rapidly becoming a 'look what I pixelled today' thread.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #103 on: November 23, 2007, 08:54:55 am
Fair enough.  I don't want to have that be a problem so I will stop.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I get different messages saying try a smaller piece, etc.  I just think that I suck at the bigger pieces and now regret posting them due to the inability of myself to make anything work.  Sorry about that folks.

Jack

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #104 on: November 23, 2007, 08:56:29 am
I don't care how big the piece is, I care that you honor advice that guys took time out of their lives to give you, and stick to your stuff until you get out of your rut.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:13:19 am by Helm »

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #105 on: November 23, 2007, 09:09:47 am
Ok,  I would like to apologize for my jumping from piece to piece.  Its easy for me to get frustrated working on a scene.  I just need to stick to my guns or else I wont get anywhere fast.  Thanks for keeping me accountable Helm.   Consider the truck gone and the soldier back on.  Take care all.

Jack

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #106 on: November 23, 2007, 09:58:07 am
Helm - I suggested to Jack via PM that he should do alot of pieces rather than just perfecting one piece. So my bad. But don't you think practice can be better than critique in this situation? Especially since noone knows (I dont know at least) how to make an image with flat on perspective and no shading work.

Jack - maybe you can post pieces like the truck in the colored line art thread in general discussion and keep this thread for the ww2 scene.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #107 on: November 23, 2007, 10:25:58 am
directed practise helps. Doing the same thing over and over does not.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #108 on: November 23, 2007, 05:32:53 pm
Doing the same thing over and over can help if you can see for yourself if it's wrong. But than again that's directed practice where you are your own 'director'.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #109 on: November 23, 2007, 06:01:52 pm
one thing i've wanted to say for a while is that the reason army men pose the way they do is because they are cast in a two-sided piece-mold, which means that they can have relief on two sides but at the same time they are restricted to building off of a single plane (or modified plane) without undercuts.  they are basically cardboard-cutout soldiers with a little texture.  real soldiers do not flatten themselves to the viewer like toys do.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.