AuthorTopic: Contra 4 DS - Developped by WayForward  (Read 58551 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Re: Contra 4 DS - Developped by WayForward

Reply #110 on: November 14, 2007, 06:14:21 am
Contra 4 = Snake + Henk + Jawsh + Fejer + Monsoon2D + Sals + Gustav + Konjak + Panda + Vedsten + Paul Robertson  :o Most in small doses, but it's definitely been the most Pixelation-heavy WayForward game so far.

By the way, if you wanna see a whole mess of beautiful pixel art from Panda, check out Shrek: Ogres & Dronkeys on DS (also out this week).

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #111 on: November 14, 2007, 09:31:48 am
Contra 4 = Snake + Henk + Jawsh + Fejer + Monsoon2D + Sals + Gustav + Konjak + Panda + Vedsten + Paul Robertson  :o Most in small doses, but it's definitely been the most Pixelation-heavy WayForward game so far.

By the way, if you wanna see a whole mess of beautiful pixel art from Panda, check out Shrek: Ogres & Dronkeys on DS (also out this week).

Jesus christ, that's a power house team. The only missing was helm and ptoing. And man, Panda is quite busy this days huh?  :y:

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #112 on: November 14, 2007, 01:49:42 pm
I've never been a fan of Craig Harris Reviews... but 8's a good score... 7.5 for Gfx though... sheesh...  :yell: what a piss poor comment too...  "looks good but a visual step back wards..." WHY BECAUSE it's not 3D...! What a Wanker... [/rant]

Great line up adam... nice to see you had a hand in it too... ;)

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #113 on: November 14, 2007, 04:54:14 pm
I think there's a good point though. It's something that could've been done over 10 years ago, it's oldskool and not completely in a positive sense. I can easily appreciate how it looks, being a big contra fan. I'll probably enjoy becoming a nostalgia junkie just for this one time to go 10 years back in time. But what about everyone else who doesn't have contra running in their veins? (I know it's aimed for vets and that's awesome) If it has pixel art it screams retro and i don't think a lot of people like that these days. It's old stuff done good, but it's still old stuff. There's nothing extraordinary. It's like the peak of mount pixel has been visited already a long time ago and everything from there on is only almost or just as good.

Not many are even trying to break any new 2D grounds even though there surely are things to be done, but everyone does things based on what they've learned from people who did it the same way just a bit before them.

The nth megaman and final fantasy games all have some oomph to them with special effects, painted backrounds instead of pixelpushing, 3D bg etc etc that use the full potential of DS which is quite powerful compared to genesis and snes for example.

The game looks like just what i expected and i really wouldn't want it any other way, it's perfect if you ask me (Did i spot a probotector guy in one of the shots?). Just wanted to juggle with what mr reviewer is probably thinking. Looking forward to get my hands on this.. but... NO RELEASE DATE FOR EUROPE??!!! WOOOOT!

oh and bacca.. there seems to be 3D sections in there as well :P

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #114 on: November 14, 2007, 05:08:19 pm
Graphics should be judged after its application. This is an oldschool Contra game, what graphics should such a game have? High-polished smooth pixel-art of course :]!!!

The only thing that should evolve here is ..

the ball explosions :<

... But I guess they're necessary for a Contra game.

Plus, the level of detail in backgrounds and so on is _really_ over the general standard of pixel art.

This game gets 9.0 in art from me. It's as good as it should ever be :]

I AM SO BIASED. :]
' _ '

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #115 on: November 15, 2007, 05:39:11 am
I shall be honest, contra got dumped today, haven't played much of it.
to keep myself from getting very far at all, I vow to only play it on hard mode until I buy the game once released here ;)

that said, the game has been very awesome so far, 7.5/10 for the graphics is way too low, has really smooth animations and lot's of cool subtle subpixel animation to the bushes etc.

I know contra is serious business to a lot of members here and also in the literal sense, so I just want to reiterate that I will buy the game ;)

edit-
and if you're interested, the contra4 dump topic over at gbatemp is already up to 8 pages, everyone loves it, most have said they will be buying the game, some convincing their friends to also buy, and lots of "wayforward did an amazing job"s  :y:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 11:43:32 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #116 on: November 16, 2007, 10:02:39 pm
Downloaded it to my R4. :] Definately a buy. It's wonderful. I love you guys <3
' _ '

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #117 on: November 24, 2007, 08:38:00 am
i love this game! great job guys :)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #118 on: November 24, 2007, 08:49:03 am
Christ this game is hard but I can't stop playing it.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #119 on: November 24, 2007, 04:13:48 pm
Umm, robot + rocket scene is like the definition of RADICAL SHIT

I mean god damnit. How did you guys manage to pack so much FUN into it? It's like wario ware except for that it's all in the same universe. But still.

Shoot!

Jump!

Climb!

Robot!

Hang!

Fly!

Jump between stuff!

Shoot evil push-you-off-evil-rocket propelled stuff!

Get up!

Dodge fire!

MORE ROBOT!

And then I died so I don't know what comes next.

WTF! That, in like one minute. ENTERTAINMENT ROYALE.
' _ '