AuthorTopic: Oh noes! It's a doll base! (Now clothed)  (Read 9069 times)

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Oh noes! It's a doll base! (Now clothed)

on: May 13, 2007, 10:45:01 pm
You know when I said I was going to finish my 3d projects before doing any new pixel art? I lied. I snapped back into doller-mode.  :crazy:

Uhm... anyway, so I made this doll base. I thought I'd get some comments on it before continuing with it. The palette I'm using is the Avatar Palace universal palette.

The bobbleheadedness was done on purpose... ofcourse.  :D

Latest version:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:42:54 am by Wayuki »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: Oh noes! It's a doll base!

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:38:25 pm
God, I love your work. The eyes are done amazingly well. I think the foot to our right, looks a little out of perpective, I would put it a more of a 3/4 angle than a side veiw. The think the hand behind the back could do with being placed on the hip, it looks odd to me right now.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:52:04 am
Bootiful girl, and nice use of the palette. Gots some crits for ya:

Widest point of the hips lies on a straight horizontal line which runs through the bottom of the pubic bone/area. (Since the hips are tilted here, that would make the widest point on the (our side) left hip raise to a few pixels below the pubic area, making the leg taper from there downward, instead of tapering from half thigh down as you have).

(Text schematic of hips )
 |     |
/____\___> largest as this point
\  ||  /

The ear should lose the highlight, as it appears to be on the same plane as the face. Maybe you should replace every shade with the shade darker, to convey correct depth.

The lollypop neck looks weird, it could use some usage of muscles and organic sculpting.

I'd reduce the shade under the left arm. Also, at the position of the right arm, the shoulder and arm should be further apart from the torso. Copy + paste shoulder and arm, and move them 5-10 pixels to the right :) (some arm rearrangement would be needed)
Shading below the right shoulder is too dark for that area, considering the torso rotation.

I agree with Malor on the foot, but the arm placement looks ok, but would look better with some shading as it moves away from us and behind her.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:11:53 pm
Her waist is frightening, and one of her eyebrows is much thicker than the other.
Her neck also looks very strange to me. I can't say that I understand the placement of her arm behind her back either.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 12:58:01 pm
  -

I wouldn't rest a SD head on a flimsy 'realistic' neck. thicker, and shorter I think is good. Shouldn't that huge head cast some sort of shadow on the body below, also? I tried to adress on the edit.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 06:50:57 pm
Very interesting piece. I agree with helms edit, but the angle the neck is on looks a little off in his edit to me though (a tad straighter perhaps). The pose strikes me as a little odd, I am a little confused about the hand behind her back seemingly resting on her buttocks.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 09:30:14 pm
Thanks for the comments, everyone!  :)

I tried to address the issues mentioned. I kept the tiny waist though, as that was a stylistic choice and I like it (although I did try a bigger waist to see what it would look like). I also tried to edit the arm like Turbo said, but that made her arm way too long and her pose look very unrelaxed.

I originally drew one hand behind her back, because I didn't want the pose look too the "samey" on either side. I guess that didn't work so well.  :lol:

I didn't shorten the neck as much as Helm's version, because it looks strangely compressed to me.

Better?

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 12:36:52 am
Much better. :y:
Now clothe her.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Re: Oh noes! It's a doll base! (Now clothed)

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 01:43:47 am
She has clothes now! Took me long enough, lol.   :D

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Oh noes! It's a doll base! (Now clothed)

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 03:03:13 am
sheesh it took me a while but I think I found a minor imperfection in your rendering!  The tops of the boots seem to be of a confusing or inconsistent shape, same for the seam of the toecap.

aaand that's all I got.  The hair is astonishing once again, and the hat is spectacular.  curse you and your talent!!