AuthorTopic: The end of days [Update: finished]  (Read 5875 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

The end of days [Update: finished]

on: April 11, 2007, 12:21:01 pm
This is the first bit of pixelling that I've done in quite some time that I consider good enough to bother posting. I've taken it about as far as I can on my own, I think, so I figure it's time to get some outside opinions. So... without further ado:

Previous:
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/endtime.PNG
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/endtime2.PNG
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/endtime3.PNG

Current:

As ever, C&C is greatly appreciated. Tell me what needs to be done!

Update: I now consider this done. Stuff could probably still be done to it, but I'm getting tired of it, and it's honestly at a point where I'm happy with it. Thanks to everyone for the excellent critique. The finished piece can be seen in my gallery on Pixeljoint.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:09:11 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Aeon Vision

• Shake of the dust...Arise!
    • View Profile

Re: The end of days

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 01:22:35 pm
I think there is to much 'open space'
Even on the lizard/dragon itself, maybe a brighter tint? Or you could go for some dragon texture... Mnah I think a brither tint would be the best thing to do :).
Maybe make some rocks in the sand? some rock-texture on the mountain behind him.
Also, I think his tail is to dark, maybe some of the lighter tones on top? even though its all in the dark, there is a lightsource in its back= the lava blub.

If you do all that, I think its very close to completion. :)

Edit: took the liberty to edit your work, I hope that's ok?

Used a brighter tint from your lava for the body.
Made a small rock.
And removed one color from your pallete, (the darkest sand color was almost the same as the rock color)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:37:41 pm by Aeon Vision »

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:05:34 pm
Updated, though AA/dithering/other stuff like that still probably needs working over..

Aeon: Thanks for the crits; (almost) all are, I think, valid, and so (almost) all were implemented. I say almost, because I disagree to an extent about the tail. The volcano's supposed to be quite a way off in the distance, and so I don't think the light would really be intense enough to have much effect on the tail. I could be very wrong though, as I've never actually seen an eruption in real life and don't have any idea how much light one would create. So, if anyone else has an opinion I'm more than open to it. :P

Offline Aeon Vision

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 02:42:48 pm
I ment the really small lava-blob falling down from the sky, just behind his head  ;D
I'm happy I could help :)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 03:20:09 pm
For a good while I wasn't able to find anything to crit but then I figured one out.

The whole picture lacks a certain amount of depth. For instance, up until your last comment, I thought the sky was a cliff face about ten feet away from the dinosaur. That the volcano was a texture on the cliff face, that the smoke was comet shadows on the cliff face, and the trees were little shrubs about one foot away from the cliff face. That's a lot of cliff face XD Uhm, so anyways, the point is, I don't think it transpires depth the way it's meant to.

To fix that, I would thin out the thick outline that seperates the horizon. The relative thickness to the dinosaur's outline is misleading. Perhaps you can shade each object creating the depth differently rather than all the same. The trees, volcano, grass and dinosaur have all been shaded the exact same way. Which is a big reason as to why you'd think they were all relatively close to you. The sky has a very brown hue to it right now, which is partially why I mistook it for a wall originally. I kind of like the palette so I don't recommend changing it. So, my solution for that would be to somehow transpire that's a sky or...maybe it will look more like a sky when the other issues are taken care of.

Other than the depth issue I think it's good.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: The end of days [Update]

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 04:27:12 pm
Updated again.

Aeon: Ah, gotcha. That big flaming chunk is actually supposed to be off in the distance as well. It's now behind a mountain so hopefully that takes care of that. ;D

Dopple: It's probably because I know what it's supposed to be, but I just can't see the sky as a cliff face, but regardless... I see your point. :P So, I tried to follow your suggestion. Have I helped, or just further aggravated the situation?

edit: just a minor note for those who care: the colour count in the latest update has been reduced to 16 from the original 20.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 04:29:57 pm by Tremulant »

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 04:52:52 pm
I think because the BG sky color is also the color of the mountains, it makes it look more like a wall than something off in the distance, I had trouble realizing that until I thought about it.

Offline Aeon Vision

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 05:15:50 pm
Setz, you're so right.

Tremulant, just spill some colors for the sky so we can understand it  :P
1 more thing: Its a bit hard to see what the eyes are to, maybe some dark shadow under it will help?
Also, whats that small round thing under his hear?
Makes you think that's the ear, and the actual ear is its eye, dunno what the eye will be then... lol

Your update was amazing btw, this is really taking shape!

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 05:38:31 pm
Yep, I think it just might be the colors.  :'(

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 05:50:41 pm
yours: -->my edit:

Hey Trem, it's been a while. Nice to see you back though. I think the reason that the back ground isn't getting the "distant" effect is because the mountains all have dark outlines. I know this is supposed to go along with the dino style, but I think it might be best to thin the black lines for all objects in the scene, except the dino. I also agree about the confusion between the ear hole, and it's tiny beady eyes. I tried to show in my edit what I'm talking about; basically, it's just thinner outlines, completely removed the black outlines in the distance to have better distant effect, as well as add shadow to the palm tree and give him some slightly larger eyes, so people can tell the difference...Lookin' good though.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 06:05:42 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...