AuthorTopic: animated girl person  (Read 11671 times)

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

animated girl person

on: April 05, 2007, 01:14:49 pm
Hello there.  I have been lurking around this forum for a few days and I must say I am very impressed with a lot of the stuff I've seen around, not only the pixel art it's self but also the quality of feedback people have been giving each other.  this seems like a good place to learn and improve, and I have a lot I want to learn.  I'm new to pixeling, befor now I have mostely been a digital painter, but I want to learn pixeling.

This's one of my first real attempt at making a sprite of sorts, I made it purely for "practice", she's not planning on being in a game.

I'm reasonabely pleased with the animation, but I am aware that the sprite it's self is extremely bland. I'd like as much C&C as I can get if that's ok.

o.o

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Re: animated girl person

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 01:20:34 pm
is the animation roto'd?

if not, insert sound of dropping jaw hitting floor now

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 01:24:06 pm
Quite nice generally, tho overall it lacks weight and some bits (like the flying and the rotating around the sword) just do not work because of how stuff is timed.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 01:36:31 pm
it's not roto'd no, I sketched most of the frames in open canvas, then shrank them down and pixeled them in photoshop / image ready.

I actually have a gif of the sketchy frames here if you're interested: warnning, not pixel art.

Thanks for the crit ptoing, I'm trying my best to see what you mean, could you try and explain how it could have been done better ?

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 01:47:17 pm
Very nice animation, even if it lacks weight like ptoing said. One thing I can think of is that her boobs look a little bit too much like jelly (especially in the beginning of the animation when she swings the sword over her head). They are not that overly big and are held back with some fabric... plus, if she really can use that weapon, it is likely that she has trained her body alot and therefore they should have muscles underneath and be quite firm. Another problem is that the piece of clothing over the breasts likely would fall off if a real girl did those moves (no shoulder straps).

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 02:00:39 pm
Thanks Mirre, everything you say it true, I guess.  she was originally naked when I animated her, and I didn't really think of how things would be supported by clothing etc : P

she doesn't have a face btw, I dunno if anyone noticed : P

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 02:03:09 pm
ATM it looks like it is supposed to be slomo in some bits, but for that to work some others should prolly have some more frames even.
Generally for stuff like the swordslash you would have less frames, as well as for the flight and the rotate around the sword.

If you want to get better at animation you should deffo get this book

http://www.amazon.com/Animators-Survival-Kit-Principles-Classical/dp/0571202284/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2686468-4080644?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175781775&sr=8-1
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 02:10:07 pm
hmm, interesting, well I don't think I'm ready to get a book just yet, as this is really my first real animation ever I'm fairly confident I'll be able to improve for a while befor resorting to some kind of book device.

I'm more interested at the moment in learning things like the actual style of the pixeling, trying to make things look less bland and more interesting, I see things around the forum that look so awesome and detailed and stuff : \

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 02:36:25 pm
It's  animated extremely wel =) might be better if you adjust timing (still have a room) to make it more dynamic - she's kind of in slow motion.=)

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 03:10:56 pm
Well everything I wanted to say has been said, (lack of accelerations mainly), except that, I really like it very good animation.. and the palette is pretty good too.. I didn"t really notice the lack of face as the way you did the shadow of the hair on the "face" made me think the eyes were there..  :y:
(and don't know why, it reminds me ICO :) )