AuthorTopic: WayForward pixel animation contest  (Read 72478 times)

Offline Naso

• ...?
    • View Profile
    • My PixelJoint

Re: WayForward pixel animation contest

Reply #80 on: November 21, 2005, 05:12:52 pm
Ok, can't wait to see the winners =)

Cheese Cake -naso

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #81 on: November 21, 2005, 11:25:09 pm
Hey guys,

Here's the announcement from Matt Bozon (our creative director and Shantae's creator/animator/director). Thanks to all who entered. The winner can email either myself or Matt about claiming your prze.

- Adam

Quote from: Matt Bozon
Hi everyone!

Thank you all so much for your submissions.  It was really fun watching the entries roll in, and seeing how you  each worked off each other to create something great.  We had some trouble picking a winner… I was surprised that the directors here had strong (and opposing) perspectives on which was the “best” one.  In the end we had them vote with points to determine a winner.  There were favorite dances, and other favorite animations, and some were just more in the spirit of the Shantae character, so they were successful in a variety of ways.  The results:

WINNER: Konjak

Konjak’s animation was very impressive, and really moved well through space.  It showed a solid understanding of character’s form.  On top of that, the dance was really charming, and was on-model enough that it could be inserted directly into a Shantae game.  The walk was very over the top, but was very fun to watch.  The run was also very adorable. 

2nd: Camus: I loved your dance the most.  It takes liberties with the character model, in that she changes proportions, but in return it shows amazing movement and is by far the most entertaining dance.  The other directors were frightened by your walk cycle, but I felt that the dancing more than made up for it.  I’d love to see more dances in your off beat style.

3rd: Based on points, there was a third place tie.  Hondo and Ahrimanes both did amazing dance animations and very solid walks.  Ahrimanes’ dance feels the most loyal to the character of all the dances, and his walk cycle is solid and very functional without going overboard (which can be very necessary at times).  Hondo’s, like Konjak’s moved very well through space and had great use of the forms.  It’s also worth mentioning that Hondo’s dance would not require any revisions to be used in a Shantae game.  So, Hondo’s animation got “first pass approval” if this were an actual work assignment (great job)!

We had other favorites mixed in there as well.  Mad Toaster’s dance and Pawige’s dance (nice twisting of the body) were both memorable and well put together, and Alex’s dance was a crack up.  There are a lot of talented people on this website and thank you for again for all the entries.  For everyone that didn’t get a mention, keep up the good work, you’re well on your way!  I would really enjoy working with you on a Shantae game now or in the future 

--Matt

Offline konjak

• anger.
    • View Profile

Reply #82 on: November 21, 2005, 11:34:28 pm
!!

My God, that's very flattering. Thanks alot for the kind comments, Matt! I'm a very happy man!

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #83 on: November 22, 2005, 12:49:26 am
Congrats, konjak! I was almost positive you were going to win when I first saw your animations. You definitely deserve the win.

Offline ahrimanes

• this is me
    • ahrimanes
    • ahrimanes
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • ahrimanes
    • ahrimanes
    • ahrimanes
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Reply #84 on: November 22, 2005, 06:12:13 am
 ;D Congrats konjak,,, really amaizing.  hope to know for futer contest
if somme one know about it please mail me.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #85 on: November 22, 2005, 06:44:47 am
This compo had an awesome turn-out in terms of quality. Great showing everybody, congratulations konjak.

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: November 22, 2005, 10:04:56 am
Way to go Konjak! More people here know how to animate than I expected. We should have more animation activities, no need for prizes or anything, as added motivation to practice more often.

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #87 on: November 22, 2005, 11:29:05 am
I'm really happy that you won, Konjak. You were able to animate the character while keeping depth in mind. Congrats!

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #88 on: November 22, 2005, 12:10:59 pm
Quote from: Matt Bozon
I’d love to see more dances in your off beat style.

Prize enough for me :`)

lmao I scared the hell out of everyone with the run cycle XD damn...I wanted to make it really powerful but still sexy, like Shantae...but I failed.
I wonder if I'll ever get that animation syle right, it always seems right in my head but I cant seem to translate it visually to make it acceptable at all.....someday I guess

I actually got the idea for playing with her proportions from the select+^ animation, also I had actually visualized one dance animation per element (water, earth, fire, ice) this was water so I was going for the kind of one-way fluidity you see in a flowing river.

I should have put more time into this, I know I could have done something really really awesome... I also wanted to do more with face expressions (like the select+B dance in Shantae GBC, god I love that one).

Matt, I would love to work with you guys, I really really really would, dont worry, you can tell everyone else I'll give up my crazyness, and wont make something like my run until you guys ask me :p
That was just for this contest where I felt I had to show my own unique little way of doing things, I couldnt be more happy that I really did.

Konjak! I totally agree with Matt about the depth, you really really earned this
I specially liked

Ahrimanes! it was really great to have you here, your walk was perfectly smooth and practical, the dance was very adequate too.

OH OH! and Adam, thank you so much for your insight and giving us all this chance in the first place!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 01:02:51 pm by Camus »

Offline BlackEye

• View Profile
    • blackeye.org

Reply #89 on: November 22, 2005, 12:57:36 pm
wow, gratulations to all winners and big respect to all those who participated.
animating pixelart is not the easiest thing to do :)
-blackeye-