AuthorTopic: Gallery of the Mind ~ Microer Looking To Better His Craft  (Read 10286 times)

Offline Xenio

• View Profile
Hello. I am Xenio. My real name is Joey and I live in Vermont U.S.A. I have 2 sisters who have moved out so it's just me and my parents. A while ago, I got into making micro heroes. Now I'm looking into trying something new. I was hoping thar's what pixel art was gonna be. I do use occastional tools in my microes which I know is bad. I have gone by many names on the web such as Charmed, Xenio, Arduous, Charmed_2, etc. I thought I would post some of my work to let you guys know where my abilities are.

Any advice/comments/criticism is accepted and appriciated. After all, I am trying to improve. I tryed color something fron the line art trade. I did an okay job and got my first piece of experience with dithering. And no tools!

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Gallery of the Mind ~ Microer Looking To Better His Craft

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 09:19:11 am
Welcome to the forum ;)
Nice linearts. In my opinion the shading is the biggest problem about these pieces. Seems very pillow-shaded. Try to use more intresting Lightsources, instead of shading it as if the viewer was the lightsource. Also you could try to find more intresting colour-ramps. Learn hue-shifting and stuff like that.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 12:24:46 pm
There just photoshop-colored linearts.  why not try placing the pixels by hand, the results will be a lot cleaner and better.

Offline Xenio

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 04:30:46 pm
There just photoshop-colored linearts.  why not try placing the pixels by hand, the results will be a lot cleaner and better.

Yeah, that is just photoshopping. I tryed placing the pixels by hand but that was before I learned about dithering  :crazy:

Welcome to the forum ;)
Nice linearts. In my opinion the shading is the biggest problem about these pieces. Seems very pillow-shaded. Try to use more intresting Lightsources, instead of shading it as if the viewer was the lightsource. Also you could try to find more intresting colour-ramps. Learn hue-shifting and stuff like that.

Thanks. Yeah, I need to work on lightsources. And hue-shifts.

Wait one minute, could anyone please tell me what a hue shift is and like a tutorial or something on lights? Thank you!

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 12:23:49 am
ah i see ya used my lineart for this guy :D

it would be a good color scheme the they way you gradient dithered it makes it not stand out as much.

Offline Xenio

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:00:27 pm
Yeah, found the outline at the exchange. As for the advice, I'm not sure what you're talking about... ???

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 05:37:42 pm
@hue-shifting:
Hue shifting is a common technique to make colourramps more intresting and/or realistic.
Here's an example:

The ramps have colder colours in the darker tones and warmer colours in the brighter tones.

Offline Xenio

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 11:19:59 pm
@hue-shifting:
Hue shifting is a common technique to make colourramps more intresting and/or realistic.
Here's an example:

The ramps have colder colours in the darker tones and warmer colours in the brighter tones.

Thank you very much. I will keep that in mind on the next piece I do.

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 11:39:00 pm
I don't think that's what hue-shifting means  ???
But the colder-colored shadows is still a good tip. Not to be used in every situation (I've seen people break that rule to great effect) but it's a nice rule of thumb.  :y:

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 11:55:54 pm
Actually, that's exactly what hue shifting means. Giving blue to the shadows and yellow to the highlights... I would know, since I coined the term at some point in the past...