AuthorTopic: Tablets  (Read 13970 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Tablets

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 03:47:23 am
Every artist - even oil artists - substracts from his strokes with strokes of different color over them, so pressure sensitivity is overrated. You could work with a brick no-pressure black brush in photoshop and with a brick white brush and with adding and substracting you'd eventually get what you need.

movement tracking is what you need in a good tablet.

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 06:18:42 am
i have a toshiba tecra m4. its a tablet pc, meaning the tablet is built into the screen. it has pressure sensitivity built into the pen.

even though i like it i wouldnt recommend it necessarily. its kinda expensive. $1600
its just that i really wanted it. i like to be able to see where my hand is while im drawing

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 06:27:13 am
So are Lcd tablets where you can see the screen on tha tablet?  Thats pretty boss - but might hurt my eyes, and get a bit confusing?
More precisely, the tablet IS a screen -- it is not a mirror of the monitor image, but an independent display.
My monitor is 20-21 inches big and i have a huge resolution, what would be the best size - id be mainly looking to sketching and "painting" so not really an sweeping curves.
Resolution is fairly moot as most modern tablets provide way more resolution than the screen - even 2048x1536 (twice my screen resolution) is only 192 dpi, and my modest Graphire3 provides >2000 lpi.
and maybe this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Intuos3-Tablet-Pen-Mouse/dp/B0006ZOY60/sr=8-6/qid=1170974948/ref=pd_ka_6/202-2367292-3104616?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

although £100 difference between the products, is that £100 worth the difference in quality.  Don't mean to sound arrogant - but money isnt really an issue - id rather get a better quality product even if it costs more, but if the £100 difference doesnt make much odds then i'd rather go for the cheaper one. 
Intuos has far better shielding from radio interference (has not been an issue for me) and tilt sensitivity (might be good for painting).

Every artist - even oil artists - substracts from his strokes with strokes of different color over them, so pressure sensitivity is overrated. You could work with a brick no-pressure black brush in photoshop and with a brick white brush and with adding and substracting you'd eventually get what you need.

movement tracking is what you need in a good tablet.
Movement tracking is definitely the most important.

Pressure sensitivity for anything but size can indeed be very overrated. However for size, I've found it key to maintaining a consistent style (the important element being that to maintain style I need to quickly get down something that not only looks about right but has about the right stylisms.)
Pressure sensitivity for size is really nice for shading and detailing much much quicker than usual. On the pixel art side, it can speed up custom dithering a lot.
It doesn't need to be very precise, though. (64 steps of sensitivity would be plenty for me -- my tablet has 512!)

with twice the pressure sensitivity, but you'd have to make some pretty extreme (extremely long and drawn out with varying levels of pressure) strokes to notice a big difference I'd think :p
Actually, additional pressure resolution is primarily useful for software-based stroke smoothing (more data implies better ability to guess at the intended result). Having a smoother pressure curve can be useful for any function that depends on pressure (eg size, color, subbrush, opacity, color jitter, brush distribution jitter..)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 10:20:59 am
Tip: But one with a fair price tag. My dad bought me one for about £10, I used it only once for like 5 minutes.. and it broke soon after.. :o?!

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 12:31:34 pm
Mine was like 15$, I Bought it like year ago and it's working fine.
However I think it's better to have a scanner and a drawing tablet. No one can skip the traditional media.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 12:43:04 pm
I got a Wacom Graphire 4 A5 as a christmas present for myself. It's like... um... well, it's like a Wacom. Completely beautiful. And the batteryless pens are heaven sent. A friend of mine used to have a Trust tablet for, like, $50 or something. That thing didn't last very long. The pen tips needed to be changed now and then, and when he ran out of pen tips, the thing started sticking randomly, so occationally you'd lift the pen and move it across the board and it'd give a nice, firm, black line between the spots. Then you need to lift the pen up and tug some at the tip to make it unstick... it was awful.

Like with many other things, you do get what you pay for. I paid for a Wacom Graphire 4, and that's what I got. I wouldn't want anything else now.

Of course, I only use it for freehand sketching and texturing in 3D. Mouse is for pixels!

Ohyeah, as for LCD tablets... How can they be worth it? Especially when people are making their own for a fraction of the price...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 12:46:28 pm by Rox »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 12:54:15 pm
Mine was like 15$, I Bought it like year ago and it's working fine.
However I think it's better to have a scanner and a drawing tablet. No one can skip the traditional media.
Clearly. That's why I jump it instead.</sarcasm>
Traditional media ARE dispensable with.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 01:04:04 pm
Clearly. That's why I jump it instead.</sarcasm>
Traditional media ARE dispensable with.

But then again, your art suffers heavily from lack of good art foundation in my opinion.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 01:28:08 pm
Oh, it does, I agree. That's a separate point however, down to my methodology -- when I actually bother to lay things out, use refs, take my time establishing framework and perspective things go a lot better, but that is hardly ever, I am too rushed for that and often I'm just poking around 'What does this do if I do that?', or otherwise self-expression is just falling out of my head onto the paper.

I'm not sure what one does with conventional art, even. I guess that really makes a strong statement that action is >>>>>>>> art in my consideration. (how >>>> what, then?)
Maybe I just push myself too hard. ???

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 01:30:53 pm
Traditional art training breeds a lot of good practises that help overcome a lot of the stuff that otherwise could hold back your art for a long time.