AuthorTopic: Tablets  (Read 13960 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Tablets

Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 06:56:30 pm
Traditional media ARE dispensable with.

I have to disagree here. NOTHING digital can totally dispense of traditional media. The tactile quality alone you get from actually drawing or painting stuff on paper/canvas, digital media can not compare to. That said, I need to do more natural media stuff.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 07:26:27 pm
Aye, Nothing can hearken to the feel of stuff that, when you're done, you can feel it - the brush strokes, the coarseness of the paper, the incredible fact that you did it all without hitting undo. The experience alone cannot be duplicated on any digital form. If anything, CG media are dispensable. I mean, if you do away with traditional media and a few years later there's a global crash or all the computers die or something, what then? But if you do away with CG media, you'll always be able to go find some clay and mix your own paints, or some chalk or hammer and chisel.

Sorry, I don't actually have anything to say about tablets. I've only had one once and it was cool, but that was for just like a couple months and I hardly used it. I don't even know what kind it was.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 10:28:29 pm
I have to disagree here. NOTHING digital can totally dispense of traditional media. The tactile quality alone you get from actually drawing or painting stuff on paper/canvas, digital media can not compare to. That said, I need to do more natural media stuff.

Yes.  One gets a lot more from viewing a painting in a museum, than browsing through DeviantArt.  I think with traditional media you can feel the artists emotions a lot more, whereas most CG art is just pixels on a screen.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 11:50:46 pm
Yes.  One gets a lot more from viewing a painting in a museum, than browsing through DeviantArt.

This is true.
I think with traditional media you can feel the artists emotions a lot more, whereas most CG art is just pixels on a screen.
But not for the reason you specify (which is kind of a fluffy reason, it seems to be just made of emotions rather than facts.)

a) In a gallery, the surroundings are arranged to at least somewhat match the painting. If you can't pick the background color, then you can pick the light level or relation to the corner of the room. In Deviantart, they're all a uniform color, with uniform surroundings and the commentary also surrounding. In that light I would not consider Deviantart a gallery but a forum for critique or commentary. Something more directly comparable with a real life gallery would be a private site where each picture had it's own page with custom color and positioning, title and information. Comments may be visible (or creatable) by clicking a link, but certainly not in the same page as the picture.
It all comes down to -- in a real life gallery, pictures have some privacy and their surroundings have some personality.

b) The process of creation is more easily visible in a picture's texture, color layering, etc..
by contrast CGs may be non-obvious (use of filters). Probably this simply means that pictures rendered in traditional media are more primitive (in the literal sense -- you can see the primitives)

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 12:04:43 am
a CG piece that has taken the amount of effort a real painting takes to make in my opinion when you look at it there's about the same chance of you finding something worthwhile in it as with the real painting.

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 01:10:06 am
Awsome I was about to make a thread about this too

Im planning to find the walcom tablet that my dad has in the basement now :D