AuthorTopic: Bruce Lee  (Read 25539 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Bruce Lee

Reply #40 on: February 07, 2007, 09:09:27 pm
The head doesn't have anything to do with the limp. It's that the further foot jumps too much. Anyway, I'm sure mad will go with whatever suits him best.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #41 on: February 07, 2007, 10:15:13 pm
agree here, that limp is because the backleg snaps forward and it looks bad. Why not use 8 instead of 6 frames, it looks better in this case. Restriction like that is not always a good thing.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Madgarden

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 01:14:02 am
Helm's powers absorbed and adapted:

Jumping and crouching are next (with screenshots soon to follow). Should I continue to post about the "project" in the other forum, or is this OK here?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #43 on: February 08, 2007, 01:17:19 am
POWER WALK OF POWER. Lovely.

Keep posting here, and we'll keep helping here, and you'll make your game and everybody will be happy.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: February 08, 2007, 01:35:06 am
In my experience with platform game dev, i've come to notice that when certain frames are emphesized such as they are in the last edit, sometimes the player can appear to be moving or 'sliding' on their feet since the forward movement is constant. Although, this can sometimes be taken care of by some sneaky shifting of pixels in the animation when implemented into the game, although if it's too exagerated sometimes the player seems to have more of a 'jerky' control over the character.

Just a thought.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #45 on: February 08, 2007, 01:43:35 am
A proper programmer will never GLIDE his humanoid sprites in animation, but he will make certain that in walking animations, the sprite is moved the exact amount of pixels his feet move in every frame. So from the frame before the step, to the frame where the feet is firmly on the ground the sprite should not move its x coordinate. The body moves.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #46 on: February 08, 2007, 01:58:11 am
A proper programmer will never GLIDE his humanoid sprites in animation, but he will make certain that in walking animations, the sprite is moved the exact amount of pixels his feet move in every frame. So from the frame before the step, to the frame where the feet is firmly on the ground the sprite should not move its x coordinate. The body moves.
aw cmon helm, lots of programmers do that, the latest castlevanias on DS are a good example
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #47 on: February 08, 2007, 01:59:25 am
Yes and it looks absolutely horrible and gliding. I will mock this up so you can see how it should be in-code.

EDIT: here

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 02:05:11 am by Helm »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #48 on: February 08, 2007, 02:04:58 am
I don't think it looks bad at all, sure it doesn't make much sense, I think as long as it works with the art style it doesn't hurt.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #49 on: February 08, 2007, 02:07:14 am
It can work someplaces. Mostly cartoony stuff with lots of inertia like Sonic games etc. You picked a wrong example with castlevania because I finished POR on DS and loved it to bits BUT the freakin' walk-cycles. They're so bad. Not only do they glide, not only they're oversmoothed, not only are the actual runs extremely artifical and silly, they're also SEMI-SIDEWAYS. On a fully side-ways, no perspective platformer. They're humanoid, and look very bad.