AuthorTopic: Bruce Lee  (Read 25761 times)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Re: Bruce Lee

Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 06:04:05 am

I wasn't trying to argue, but just a " suggestion" geez.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 08:22:17 pm
mad likeness is really great as othes have said.

I'd try to relay a little less on the outlines too...have some bigger darker areas to make it look more dramatic and deep.

Also I kinda dislike the way you did his muscles...Bruce was never really bubbly and your 1pixel speculars make it look like that, try to make his muscles more angular because that was kinda defining for him.

Offline Madgarden

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 04:53:37 am
Conceit, I agree about the bubbliness. I'm currently trying to strike a balance between sweaty and muscley. :) Working on the darker areas as well, trying to improve the emphasis on shadow. The walking frames are very close to being "done", so hopefully I'll get them posted up tomorrow night.

Aw heck, here's one of the frames I was just working on anyway. Let me know if I'm on the right track:

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 07:34:54 am
 I zoomed in and it looked good. Great job on improving him. I'd like a highlight or two on his skin. Good luck.

Offline Madgarden

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 06:07:45 am
OK, phew! Here's the walk animation:

And the sprite sheet for it:

I tried to deepen the shadows, yet keep the shininess because I really think it helps it "pop" and will set Bruce apart from the enemies when I get to them. How's it all look? I'm going cross-eyed now and need some sleep. ;)

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 06:16:38 am
Looks great!  I thought it would be cool to see bruce walk in his fighting stance, so he's sort of shifting forward with each step, ready to fight.  it would seem like an odd transition during a game for him to instantly be in his fighting stance after walking like that.  it's still an awesome animation, nonetheless.  I wouldn't mind it either way, as well.

Goodluck with it.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 06:36:55 am

some references I think could help, since fei long basically is bruce lee :P
theres a good sense of weight to his walking anims and although a little clunky and could use a few extra frames, i think they do a much better job than your current 'mathematical' walk cycle
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 06:49:36 am
Holy crap, I just realized something. The forward and backward walk animations for Fei Long use the same leg movement, in reverse, but changes the lean and arm position. That's so... ingenious.

I also agree with Takam that he should have a more Bruce Lee-esque walk cycle rather than this generic one.

Offline Madgarden

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 01:55:14 pm
Have you ever played Kung Fu Master? I'm doing a remake of that, so the walking animation is more appropriate simply because Bruce will be travelling a fair distance, and there will be times when there are no enemies on-screen for short periods. Bruce will be striding around with a vengeance. ;) If it was a one-on-one figher, then I'd definitely go for the stance-walk though.

When he stops, I'll actually not throw him right into his stance... I'll have another stance that is a sort of relaxed "ready" stance. When he attacks, then he'll drop into the fighting stance when the move finishes (again, like Kung Fu Master). Also, his stride-width matches his fighting stance, so I can transition from the stance to walking by starting with frame 1.

I've only got 'til the 11th to get this all done. :o

By the way, thanks for finding those Fei Long sprites, I was looking for them, heh.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 03:29:50 pm
...he should have a more Bruce Lee-esque walk cycle rather than this generic one.
Bruce Lee-esque is probably something like:

Wooooooooooo!!!

I don't know. It made more sense at the time.

Not much to say about the animation. It's pretty solid, but yes, it is pretty generic. It does seem like a power-stride, so maybe you can put more emphasis on that, having a fist ready for attack or a tilted head eyeing the enemy.