AuthorTopic: I'm making a pixel dump thread~! *56k warning*  (Read 8171 times)

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile

Re: I'm making a pixel dump thread~! *56k warning*

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 10:15:45 pm
#23, the mockup with the guy. i am MAKING you finish that.
Only if you and I make it a project. You have to be the backbone of the project if you want it to get off the ground.
(Nah, I'll try to make some poses, or maybe some tiles early next year. xP)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 10:20:00 pm
Wow, i am really glad i suggested this become a pixel dump, this stuff is total eyecandy. I especially like all the metroid things, and the mini-piccard is very cool. :P

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 10:26:30 pm
no other poses needed, i just want to see a completed mockup from you. itll be pure sex. ill pour down on you all the tile information i have in my noggin!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 04:40:08 am
I really like that world map, show that thing some love!!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 09:48:55 am
I don`t know if you want critique, but it`s clear to me from looking at this stuff that you are perhaps emulating "styles" of pixel art too much, perhaps inventing "styles" when there are none (and where there are, instead, actual design skills that are applicable on any artistic medium) and not focusing on your fundamentals. You suffer in anatomy and lighting, your errors showing under the less successful attempts to hide them with pixel art limitations and stylistics. If you really want to progress as an artist, my advice would be to hit the books on anatomy, perspective and basic pencil shading (there are lots and lots of books online) before returning to pixel art. Do not concern yourself with style (I especially found mentions of "custom style" absurd. What does that even mean?) because actual personal aesthetic is emergent out of skillful, singular application of the basic artistic skills. It`s not something you search for.

If you`re about 14-15 or so, take everything I just said one level less drastically than it sounds, you have time. If you`re an adult though, you should rush rush rush back to the fundamentals, otherwise you might get trapped in this for a long time.

I mean no offense. This is a critique board and this is critique. Happy new year.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 10:19:47 am

I actually think that's my favourite of the bunch. Seems to be the least derivative, even though it is a Ahuron-inspired half-Ganon.

I don't like this one at all. First of all: the perspective issues. I originally thought it was straight on, but the feet suggest a 3/4 view. The hair is really strange, perfectly vertical 1 pixel strips. He also appears to have hundreds of buttons on his coat, which could've been cut down to increase readability and, you know, general niceness. He also has an amazingly long neck.

I don't see why we need to see that. :huh:

I like this one, doesn't seem off-balance to me. But how you managed to use 16 colors on something so small is beyond me. :-\ Why didn't you just find the middle colors between the jeans+hair and use those for both?

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 01:47:39 am
I don`t know if you want critique, but it`s clear to me from looking at this stuff that you are perhaps emulating "styles" of pixel art too much, perhaps inventing "styles" when there are none (and where there are, instead, actual design skills that are applicable on any artistic medium) and not focusing on your fundamentals. You suffer in anatomy and lighting, your errors showing under the less successful attempts to hide them with pixel art limitations and stylistics. If you really want to progress as an artist, my advice would be to hit the books on anatomy, perspective and basic pencil shading (there are lots and lots of books online) before returning to pixel art. Do not concern yourself with style (I especially found mentions of "custom style" absurd. What does that even mean?) because actual personal aesthetic is emergent out of skillful, singular application of the basic artistic skills. It`s not something you search for.

If you`re about 14-15 or so, take everything I just said one level less drastically than it sounds, you have time. If you`re an adult though, you should rush rush rush back to the fundamentals, otherwise you might get trapped in this for a long time.

I mean no offense. This is a critique board and this is critique. Happy new year.
I've never felt so ridiculous for saying "a custom style." I mean, what a self defeating mind-set. Instead of growing in all directions, I was drawing myself a box to fit cozily in forever~!

However, my generation demands viable, quick solutions to deep-rooted problems.  It's called instant gratification, and I like it. So I'm going to drop the "years of study" idea and try and exercise my mind, or some thing. Going for a 'trial and error' sort of deal, instead.

Oh hell, I'll pick up some books, too. I can't hurt, right?

I'd post more, but I have to go because of some personal issues.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 12:36:55 pm
I'd post more, but I have to go because of some personal issues.
lol?

Anyway, don't take what helm said to personally, bluntness is his way and its quite usefull as long as you don't let it bludgeon you to death.

He only means that by emulating other styles you are stunting the growth of your own personal artistic style, which can be best achieved by making your own artistic pieces* and for that suggests you go back to the basics a little.

*not that I am impling you didn't do these, only that most of them are not your "own" in the sense that they are emulating someone else's work and style.

However, my generation demands viable, quick solutions to deep-rooted problems.  It's called instant gratification, and I like it. So I'm going to drop the "years of study" idea and try and exercise my mind, or some thing. Going for a 'trial and error' sort of deal, instead.

blaming your generation (one of which most members on this forum are part of) holds up as little more then a flimsy excuse not to try...

hmm, well I hope that these personal issues resolve themselves and to see more posts by you in the future. best of luck.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 12:38:56 pm by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 04:44:08 pm

blaming your generation (one of which most members on this forum are part of) holds up as little more then a flimsy excuse not to try...
That was a joke, though. :x I am going to hit the books, but I'm not going to stop and study. In case things aren't clear.

Also I meant add more to that one post. I literally had to drop my stuff and go somewhere.
See, my grandmother's being operated on today. She's having her knee replaced.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 05:21:04 pm by Luminous_Reaver »

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 02:46:44 am
That was a joke, though. :x I am going to hit the books, but I'm not going to stop and study. In case things aren't clear.
Misunderstood sorry :), unfortunatly sarcasm work well over the internet.

Also I meant add more to that one post. I literally had to drop my stuff and go somewhere.
See, my grandmother's being operated on today. She's having her knee replaced.
Hope everything went well ^_^

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!