AuthorTopic: Aren't you guys afraid of..  (Read 13122 times)

Offline Neoriceisgood

• View Profile

Re: Aren't you guys afraid of..

Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 12:49:47 am
I've never had anything stolen that I'm aware of, though I've seen stuff in graphics packs that I've given people permition to use that has nothing to indicate that I should be credited, when I had specified that I wanted to be. Now days, I couldn't care less about being credited for stuff I've made to be freely used by other people.

One bizarre thing that I stumbled across once was an old post I made on the original Pixelation that had somehow been transferred to an entirely different forum with an entirely different userbase... Strangely, the poster of the topic was apparently myself, even though I had never heard of, let alone visited the forum before. Identity theft I guess.

Actually, I think that's the database of an old pixel site, possibly old pixelation; that somehow got transfered onto a place nobody ever heard of, it's not identity theft, but actually your old post that just got warped towards another place, I've seen posts that I remember making on pixelation or something on some random forum aswell.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 11:20:39 am
Someone took my bunny pic from way back, slapped his signature on it and used it on a site. It's lame and annoying, but ultimately there's not much they can do with it, and it doesn't affect me personally. I'm not worried about theft in the industry (although there is plenty) since most companies would rather just hire someone than risk thieving art from them.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 12:42:00 pm
Someone took my bunny pic from way back, slapped his signature on it and used it on a site. It's lame and annoying, but ultimately there's not much they can do with it, and it doesn't affect me personally. I'm not worried about theft in the industry (although there is plenty) since most companies would rather just hire someone than risk thieving art from them.

I'd be interested in you siteing some examples of these thefts in the industry, unless it will get you into trouble of course.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 12:59:55 pm
As far as I know it has only happened two times to me. With really old pictures. The first time the guy never even bothered to remove the signatures from the picture (by me and my friend), and the second time the art thief emailed me himself and confessed and said he was sorry so I didn't really get upset.

Most of the time art thieves are teenagers who feel the need to show off to their "friends" in different communities (can I say DeviantART???). One of my friends has even had people claming to be her - stealing her photographies (of her) and identity on top of her art. Kind of creepy. When people start making money out of other people's art however is when it really pisses me off.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 06:10:13 pm
When I first got a PC, I made a crappy animation in Animation Shop of someone being stabbed in the face repeatedly. Then, a few years later, I saw a random person using it on a message board I'd never been too! I wasn't bothered at all though, because it was such an awfully crude animation.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 10:32:16 pm
Most of the time art thieves are teenagers who feel the need to show off to their "friends" in different communities (can I say DeviantART???).

Oh indeed.. I've seen that a number of times, even found one out for myself.
Personally, the people arn't even real friends.. so, I don't know who they are kidding.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 10:45:35 pm
My work isn't the greatest and I've already expieranced my work being stolen.  :-\
It sucks.
Luckily I had a community behind me willing to testify that it was in fact my work.

These were stolen from me.

The guy made a game using an edited ensellitis as the hero as well as the enemies.
And eventually the game got removed from the site.
It takes patients really.
Because if you go in screaming and yelling about how it is yours, it's just going to go no where.

Easiest way to get your stuff removed from a site is to go directly to the operator of that site.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #27 on: January 01, 2007, 07:58:38 pm

I'd be interested in you siteing some examples of these thefts in the industry, unless it will get you into trouble of course.

Well the most notorious one of late was Chronos Twins (an upcoming DS game, formerly designed for the GBA): http://ds.ign.com/objects/849/849294.html

Here's some of the theft someone caught:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/capcomguy/example1.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/capcomguy/example2.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/capcomguy/example3.png

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 12:29:55 am
i remember one incident specifically
well. mostly because it kinda related to me

at old pixelation there was a case where some guy stole abunch of peoples pictures and made a website claiming he was going to make an rpg. the pictures he stole he said were going to be some of the monsters

honestly, i dont know how it got dealt with. but i do know the website got shutdown somehow. i remember alot of hate mail and such being sent to the guy from lots of people
but personally, i was flattered
if someone is going to rip you just for junk like that, then i think its kinda neat to have someone pretend they are you

but thats the only account that i can think of and it wasnt too bad
but if it was trying to make money, then im not sure how i would be

but really, i almost take it as a compliment