AuthorTopic: Aren't you guys afraid of..  (Read 13121 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: Aren't you guys afraid of..

Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 03:59:11 am
Ive thought of doing something cleva like ptoing did with that morse code thingie, hide some sort of signature somewhere so no matter what happens you can spot out to people who question if its yours or not.

Heh, I actually do that sometimes with my works. I kinda' input the name "B.o.b." in some of the designs. Though I'm not good at hiding my secret sigs apparently due to the fact that people have already spotted it most of them.
Also, I have certain ideas that I'm too afraid to release to the public, so no one can steal them.(mostly character sprites, like fighting games. I'm just afraid of Mugen players stealing the design) Funny thing is the designs and ideas aren't even that great. It's stupid, I know. But thats generally the main reason why more than half of my work seems like fan art.(which it kinda' is when you think about it) It's just a safer for me.
However, since my stay here, I've never had someone steal my work. I don't know if I should feel safe, or sad that nobody feels my work is great enough to be stolen :P
It just shows how secure these lil ole pixel sites are, and how serious we are about our craft.
my back hurts...

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 04:11:26 am
people usually only steal sprite work. i havent seen anybody ever steal like a pixel art piece, one thats not game art.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 12:51:53 pm
There was some pathetic girl on pixeljoint and deviantart who posted lots of lazur pictures (old demoscene guy) and said it was hers and she did it in MSPAINT.
But yes, in general people rip spritework.

I never had anything stolen from me afaik, when chatting with Wolverine about it he once said my stuff is prolly a bit too off kilter for people to steal it, plus they could be proven wrong easily.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 01:30:50 pm
I didn't find anyone yet who thinks my art is worthy enough to be stolen :(
It surely would be fun to see that person being smacked around by the local moderators but actually I wouldn't really care as long as no money is involved.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 06:01:19 pm
One of the benefits of working with an indexed palette is that you can have the same colour more than once in the palette, this essentially means you can write stuff in solid colour areas and then change the colour of the text to the same colour as the solid to hide the text.

There are some really good examples of this in the demoscene history, where it was pretty common practice. There's a gallery of hidden messages over at GFXZone.

http://www.gfxzone.org/theme/hidden/hidden-personal_01.html

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 06:03:54 pm
There was some pathetic girl on pixeljoint and deviantart who posted lots of lazur pictures (old demoscene guy) and said it was hers and she did it in MSPAINT.
But yes, in general people rip spritework.

I never had anything stolen from me afaik, when chatting with Wolverine about it he once said my stuff is prolly a bit too off kilter for people to steal it, plus they could be proven wrong easily.
what with the morse code sigs and all. :P

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 12:50:08 pm
I never got caught.. :D
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 07:33:22 pm
I don't think my work is really worth stealing. XD

Pixel art isn't my artistic livelihood or forte. It's more of a hobby and something funt han it is a passion I have.

My real passion is my writing and I am afraid of someone taking it but... I'm willing to take a risk and let people see and respond to my work than hide it forever.

I think it's a hazard of the trade when you make anything creative but.. I firmly believe art should MAINLY be for you and your enjoyment, passion, and love. And that's something that no lame ass person can steal.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 25, 2006, 02:29:25 pm
Not afraid, but something bizarre did happen to me once. I used to have an account on some other art site that I abandoned shortly. Then I was browsing a newer art community one day and saw someone with an avatar that I definitely recognized. I messaged them, and found out someone was "selling" those avatars on Second Life (of all places?!?). I'm talking, like, a five year old design, drawn in a squiggly fashion by mouse in Photoshop and uploaded someplace. Five years later, someone claims it on Second Life and sells it to others?

If they'd done it with ANY other picture I had there, I wouldn't mind, but the thing that bugs me is that I can still use that design now. When I made games in The Games Factory, I used it as a sort of company logo, or signature, for my games, and I have a pretty large decal lying around in my closet with that logo integrated in it that I managed to get for free a couple of years ago. If I ever started a company or something, that would definitely be my first logotype. So that was a little frustrating to see someone "selling" that very design.

I do feel frustration when someone thinks they can do whatever they want with something I've made. But it's nothing I worry about, and something that's very easy to deal with anyhow.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 01:53:11 pm
I've never had anything stolen that I'm aware of, though I've seen stuff in graphics packs that I've given people permition to use that has nothing to indicate that I should be credited, when I had specified that I wanted to be. Now days, I couldn't care less about being credited for stuff I've made to be freely used by other people.

One bizarre thing that I stumbled across once was an old post I made on the original Pixelation that had somehow been transferred to an entirely different forum with an entirely different userbase... Strangely, the poster of the topic was apparently myself, even though I had never heard of, let alone visited the forum before. Identity theft I guess.