AuthorTopic: "Sigma Star Saga" is out August 16th  (Read 26935 times)

Offline janus

• spiders
    • antumbral
    • View Profile
    • luminance

Re: "Sigma Star Saga" is out August 16th

Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 02:48:18 am
Well, it's very pretty. And the music is pretty good.

It's not fun at all, though. And it runs terribly in an emulator, so it's not likely that I'll buy it to see if it runs any better on my GBA (all the GBA games I own run fine in my emulator, so...). The plot and characters are kind of interesting, but I can't say that I'm willing to suffer through another few hours of the gameplay to get to the end.

If you guys made a port for another console (or PC) with good gameplay, I'd buy it in a second. The basic concept is sound, so it just needs a competent execution.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 05:37:43 am
Four of the best artists I've seen (<3 Gustav) in one game. If I wasn't on dial up, I'm sure I'd be loving every second of the trailer right now.

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 12:41:01 pm
Really interesting trailer. Top stuff. I like the side on space shooter stuff the most. Not really into anime style face shots, and the top down characters are a bit large for my liking. Still, its pretty nice that all of these elements have combined in the one game. All of the art is still very impressive, especially the boss characters. I own a GBA, but I've only bought one game, so I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for this game in the store. Well done guys!

Oooh, I just noticed something really odd, might be nothing, but in the shot with the fella running south, between the the desert setting and purpley one there seems to be a bit of problem. The shadow created on the sort of computer based setting looks messed up, it appears as too light on the floor, and doesnt look like a shadow at all. I could be wrong though.

And that article was extremely helpful Adam, I'm hoping to get into the business one day. Would it be okay if I emailed you for some advice? Because I've been talking to my careers advisor at highschool, and there are a number of specific things I'd really like to know, and your article has certainly been the most useful thing so far. So cheers!

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 04:05:29 pm
Wow Janus, thanks for ragging on our game after you stole it.

- Adam

Offline janus

• spiders
    • antumbral
    • View Profile
    • luminance

Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 07:15:13 pm
Wow Janus, thanks for ragging on our game after you stole it.

- Adam
If it makes you feel any better, Gamespy said worse things and they didn't steal it.

Anyway, regardless of the questionable legality of emulation and the undeniable illegality of pirating games, it just wasn't fun enough to justify spending $30 for the cart and going through a few batteries for my GBA after spending $250 on textbooks. Would it make you better if I had borrowed the cart from a friend instead? Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who bought the game; they all seem to have cancelled their preorders. I apparently liked it more than they did. And if it is any comfort to you, you can be certain that I won't be playing the ROM again. :)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 09:59:51 pm
No, I'm just surprised at your complete lack of tact. If four Pixelation artists had worked on a game, I wouldn't run into their thread and say 'Boy, that game sure sucked.' It doesn't affect me personally that you rommed it, and its averaging about a 75% rating so that's nice, and you certainly seem to be in the minority with your feelings. I just found it bad form on your part to mention romming it and to speak so bluntly and rudely about the game, to even go so far as to call the developers incompetent. Tact is a wonderful thing to learn and pretty essential in the real world.

And that article was extremely helpful Adam, I'm hoping to get into the business one day. Would it be okay if I emailed you for some advice? Because I've been talking to my careers advisor at highschool, and there are a number of specific things I'd really like to know, and your article has certainly been the most useful thing so far. So cheers!

Sure thing, any time. And I'm glad you enjoyed it.

- Adam
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 01:56:48 am by AdamTierney »

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 12:44:33 am
Adam, 75% of the people are stealing the game? Or did I read that wrong..

Janus, not cool, I thought you were someone from the old forums, but you sir, have no class, and are obviously not he.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 12:46:51 am

Janus, not cool, I thought you were someone from the old forums, but you sir, have no class, and are obviously not he.

No, that's Janus. As far as I can tell. I mean, the MSN and AIM are the same, and they wouldn't randomly mod him without knowing him.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #28 on: August 19, 2005, 01:53:05 am

No, it's averaging about a 7.5/10 score across all sites and magazines so far.

That guy's modded? Wow. Two posts and all he does is act like a jerk. Ideal leader.

- Adam

Offline ironwallaby

• the pixel artist formerly known as nem
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website

Reply #29 on: August 19, 2005, 02:13:39 am
I can't help but mention that he didn't once criticize the art (and, in fact, praised it), and therefore has no bone to pick with anyone at Pixelation.

He was blunt, but certainly not out-of-line on a forum that focuses on the art, and not the code/gameplay of it. There are plenty of other places for this.

Plus, even if he did openly criticize the art, as long as he gave reasons for it, it's all fine by me.

Why is everyone being so touchy?