AuthorTopic: "Sigma Star Saga" is out August 16th  (Read 26933 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

"Sigma Star Saga" is out August 16th

on: July 24, 2005, 08:35:27 am
Hey guys,

I know, I sound like a broken record. :) But I just thought I'd mention with the new forum that Sigma Star Saga for GBA is coming out in just a few weeks. It's getting reviewed right now and so far between Nintendo Power, Game Informer and Play Magazine it's averaging 8.5/10 (woohoo!). The game's of note because it features pixel art by Gustav Kilman (Gustav), Josh Astorian (Jawsh), Ben Rosaschi (Monsoon2D) and myself (Sals). The latest trailer on IGN:

http://media.gameboy.ign.com/media/725/725353/dl_1172779.html

...showcases creatures from all four of us. If memory serves (starting about 11 seconds into the trailer):

Crab: Ben
Sputnik: Ben
Eye: Adam
Ice: Gustav
Flower: Josh
Orbs: Ben
Tetris: Adam
Ghost: Gustav
Drill: Gustav
Green: Ben

The rest (mostly big ones) were done by Jeremy Dower, our BG artist. There are more from each artist that aren't shown (around 30 total). The game is also written, produced and directed by pixel god Matt Bozon, creator of the GBC hit Shantae. Hopefully it will be just the first of handheld projects featuring multiple members from the Pixelation scene.

- Adam

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: "Sigma Star Saga" is out August 16th

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 08:34:19 pm
holy crap! thats good news! I just recently applied for a pixel job for a mobile phone gaming company, but got denied.  they didn't like my portfolio (i dont think my portfolio shows my true pixeling ability...i'll have to change that).  so anyway, im really happy for you guys.  I wish i could be in that boat with ya.

that trailer looks way exciting.  looks like a mixture of megaman/rpgs/and a side scrolling shoot-em-up game.  I just wish i had a GBA so i could play it.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 08:50:36 pm
Holy shit YES!! Looks absolutely awesome! How is this being sold? Will it be available in any retail stores, or is it something you'd have to order over a website?

I was wondering how you'd do the spaceship shmup scenes, and I was very pleasantly surprised with what was shown. Can we preorder?

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 09:13:56 pm
I'm sure you can probably pre-order at whatever sites do that kinda thing. Yeah, it'll be in stores everywhere. Dunno how big the distribution is though, so there's a slight chance it might be hard to find. But I kinda doubt it.

- Adam

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 09:23:46 pm
A game featuring art from four of my favorite pixel artists?  Instant buy!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 09:34:11 pm by Darien »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 11:00:05 pm
I don't have a gba but I'll be sure to emulate it to see all the pretty art. Gustav is my daddy.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 01:15:22 am
Wow ... this is beautiful. Who created the music? Its really weird that all of their styles don't stand out in the game. Also, did they animate their own sprites?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 01:20:32 am by Darion »
@darionmccoy

Offline G_Dragon

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 08:24:09 am
:O

I must get this game!

I must get a gba first...

*Cries*

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 06:47:35 pm
Matt Bozon and I designed the bosses, I sketched em, then Ben, Josh, Gustav and I pixelled them and I animated them later. The music is by handheld developer Shinen.

- Adam

Offline 100%Polyester

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 07:55:33 am
Great looking game there, looks like a real nice mixture of genres...pity i don't have a GBA either :P.
Oh and you and the others created some very sexy graphics there too.... :o

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 10:04:00 pm
oooh, nice. i think i will have to buy this.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 11:31:36 pm
holy crap! thats good news! I just recently applied for a pixel job for a mobile phone gaming company, but got denied.  they didn't like my portfolio (i dont think my portfolio shows my true pixeling ability...i'll have to change that).  so anyway, im really happy for you guys.  I wish i could be in that boat with ya.

that trailer looks way exciting.  looks like a mixture of megaman/rpgs/and a side scrolling shoot-em-up game.  I just wish i had a GBA so i could play it.

Watch out for a "mobile phone gaming company" in san francisco, which I cannot name, but they have a great system of getting through the legality of a contract and leading people on, basically they hire an artist for 6 months at a lowered pay in promise to pay alot more in 6 months, but every single artist gets laid off on the day of the 6th month with some bogus reason. They got 3 games published out of me, and a few from the guy before me, and who knows how many since then, but anyway, the moral is to really read your contract and don't believe anything they say that's not in it. sorry to get off the topic of this post, just watchin out for you potentials for the industry.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 05:16:37 am
Heh, better than my first job. They just flat out never paid me. And my second job the coder's dad died, so he understandably disappeared from the scene to deal with that. I didn't get a paycheck til project 3.

I wouldn't really be wary per se. Having a negative attitude in the game industry will usually kill your chances at succeeding. Stay positive! But then again, never do anything off contract unless you're ready to have done it for free. And never ever badmouth a company publicly. I like dogmeat's discretion. Feel free to inform all your friends about scams and shady devs as a warning, but never rant in a public forum about a dev by name. That'll get you a rep for having a bad attitude and airing your dirty laundry, which is also pretty much career suicide.

By the way, I just got hired. :) I've been freelancing on and off for almost 4 years, but I became a salary man last Tuesday officially by WayForward (my favorite handheld dev) as an animator/designer. Believe it or not it's my first non-freelance game art job ever. Joy! :)

- Adam

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 06:48:27 am
Heh, better than my first job. They just flat out never paid me.

Me too!
@darionmccoy

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 07:19:23 am
Adam - Didn't you post a whole article thing on one of the other boards before they went down about tips on making it into to the pixel market?  I'd like to see that again.  Not that I could get a job at my current skill level, but in a few years, who knows.  And congrats on getting hired!

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 04:02:23 pm

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 05:11:35 pm
If you're working over the internet, how would you "sign" an NDA agreement?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 05:19:19 pm by StairwaytoEvan »

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 06:44:09 pm
This is great news! I'll definitely be purchasing this game!
Nice to know GBA isn't dead yet!

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 06:54:35 pm
"If you're working over the internet, how would you "sign" an NDA agreement?"

The company will generally send you Word doc NDAs and contracts. The last page will have a space for you to sign. Print it out, sign, scan the last page and email it back to them.

- Adam

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 01:30:44 am
Woo, just ordered SSS off of Amazon! Probably not gonna receive it 'til the end of the month, though :'(

Offline janus

• spiders
    • antumbral
    • View Profile
    • luminance

Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 02:48:18 am
Well, it's very pretty. And the music is pretty good.

It's not fun at all, though. And it runs terribly in an emulator, so it's not likely that I'll buy it to see if it runs any better on my GBA (all the GBA games I own run fine in my emulator, so...). The plot and characters are kind of interesting, but I can't say that I'm willing to suffer through another few hours of the gameplay to get to the end.

If you guys made a port for another console (or PC) with good gameplay, I'd buy it in a second. The basic concept is sound, so it just needs a competent execution.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 05:37:43 am
Four of the best artists I've seen (<3 Gustav) in one game. If I wasn't on dial up, I'm sure I'd be loving every second of the trailer right now.

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 12:41:01 pm
Really interesting trailer. Top stuff. I like the side on space shooter stuff the most. Not really into anime style face shots, and the top down characters are a bit large for my liking. Still, its pretty nice that all of these elements have combined in the one game. All of the art is still very impressive, especially the boss characters. I own a GBA, but I've only bought one game, so I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for this game in the store. Well done guys!

Oooh, I just noticed something really odd, might be nothing, but in the shot with the fella running south, between the the desert setting and purpley one there seems to be a bit of problem. The shadow created on the sort of computer based setting looks messed up, it appears as too light on the floor, and doesnt look like a shadow at all. I could be wrong though.

And that article was extremely helpful Adam, I'm hoping to get into the business one day. Would it be okay if I emailed you for some advice? Because I've been talking to my careers advisor at highschool, and there are a number of specific things I'd really like to know, and your article has certainly been the most useful thing so far. So cheers!

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 04:05:29 pm
Wow Janus, thanks for ragging on our game after you stole it.

- Adam

Offline janus

• spiders
    • antumbral
    • View Profile
    • luminance

Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 07:15:13 pm
Wow Janus, thanks for ragging on our game after you stole it.

- Adam
If it makes you feel any better, Gamespy said worse things and they didn't steal it.

Anyway, regardless of the questionable legality of emulation and the undeniable illegality of pirating games, it just wasn't fun enough to justify spending $30 for the cart and going through a few batteries for my GBA after spending $250 on textbooks. Would it make you better if I had borrowed the cart from a friend instead? Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who bought the game; they all seem to have cancelled their preorders. I apparently liked it more than they did. And if it is any comfort to you, you can be certain that I won't be playing the ROM again. :)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 09:59:51 pm
No, I'm just surprised at your complete lack of tact. If four Pixelation artists had worked on a game, I wouldn't run into their thread and say 'Boy, that game sure sucked.' It doesn't affect me personally that you rommed it, and its averaging about a 75% rating so that's nice, and you certainly seem to be in the minority with your feelings. I just found it bad form on your part to mention romming it and to speak so bluntly and rudely about the game, to even go so far as to call the developers incompetent. Tact is a wonderful thing to learn and pretty essential in the real world.

And that article was extremely helpful Adam, I'm hoping to get into the business one day. Would it be okay if I emailed you for some advice? Because I've been talking to my careers advisor at highschool, and there are a number of specific things I'd really like to know, and your article has certainly been the most useful thing so far. So cheers!

Sure thing, any time. And I'm glad you enjoyed it.

- Adam
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 01:56:48 am by AdamTierney »

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 12:44:33 am
Adam, 75% of the people are stealing the game? Or did I read that wrong..

Janus, not cool, I thought you were someone from the old forums, but you sir, have no class, and are obviously not he.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 12:46:51 am

Janus, not cool, I thought you were someone from the old forums, but you sir, have no class, and are obviously not he.

No, that's Janus. As far as I can tell. I mean, the MSN and AIM are the same, and they wouldn't randomly mod him without knowing him.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #28 on: August 19, 2005, 01:53:05 am

No, it's averaging about a 7.5/10 score across all sites and magazines so far.

That guy's modded? Wow. Two posts and all he does is act like a jerk. Ideal leader.

- Adam

Offline ironwallaby

• the pixel artist formerly known as nem
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website

Reply #29 on: August 19, 2005, 02:13:39 am
I can't help but mention that he didn't once criticize the art (and, in fact, praised it), and therefore has no bone to pick with anyone at Pixelation.

He was blunt, but certainly not out-of-line on a forum that focuses on the art, and not the code/gameplay of it. There are plenty of other places for this.

Plus, even if he did openly criticize the art, as long as he gave reasons for it, it's all fine by me.

Why is everyone being so touchy?

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #30 on: August 19, 2005, 02:23:42 am
im pretty sure its mostly the fact that he stole the game, and then criticized it in such a way.
alexander

Offline janus

• spiders
    • antumbral
    • View Profile
    • luminance

Reply #31 on: August 19, 2005, 02:28:38 am
im pretty sure its mostly the fact that he stole the game, and then criticized it in such a way.
So if I lied and said I bought it, the post would be OK?  :P I'd be glad to edit my previous posts if it will satisfy your sense of moral justice.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #32 on: August 19, 2005, 03:20:02 am
Even if janus didn't critique the art Adam was obviously very involved in the development of the game, and I'd assume cares about how its viewed overall.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #33 on: August 19, 2005, 04:20:10 am
Janus is smug and rude. I would never go into a thread regarding something you guys had worked on and trash it so openly. I would never ever say anything demeaning to another artist in a public forum and I would certainly never do that if I was moderating the place. If Janus represents the mentality of this forum, and you guys are fine with his comments, then it's just one more clue that I'm losing touch with the current hobby pixelling scene. I don't know why I keep coming back to a forum that drives me batty about once a year.

- Adam

Offline janus

• spiders
    • antumbral
    • View Profile
    • luminance

Reply #34 on: August 19, 2005, 04:27:43 am
Janus is smug and rude. I would never go into a thread regarding something you guys had worked on and trash it so openly. I would never ever say anything demeaning to another artist in a public forum and I would certainly never do that if I was moderating the place. If Janus represents the mentality of this forum, and you guys are fine with his comments, then it's just one more clue that I'm losing touch with the current hobby pixelling scene. I don't know why I keep coming back to a forum that drives me batty about once a year.

- Adam
Saying the game isn't fun is trashing it? I didn't even say anything about the parts you worked on. I'm so sorry for actually telling you what I thought about the game. Next time I'll lie.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: August 19, 2005, 04:35:26 am
Enough of this. If Janus can't be honest about the game, then where are we going to set the bar?? I wish Janus was more of a pixeler, that way his review could have contained some critique of the artwork, but I can't fault him for not doing that because he's not really a pixeler. If a professional review site rates it badly, will you send a letter to complain about the reviewer's lack of tact Sals? Personally, I don't buy games based on reviews. It's like making music purchases based on who fares well in the MTV awards. Where are we going to end up here?? Dragonmax did a number of barbie style games, but he doesn't  expect us to worship the games he did just because he was a member... and he'd prefer we not bring them up I think.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #36 on: August 19, 2005, 04:37:53 am
You have no tact, Janus. And you can't get mad at people who have no tact, because they don't know better. I guess you fit in swell at Pixelation. Not to take shots, but every time there's a major issue at the forum, the moderators have never failed to act like children pretending to be adults. My focus has always been honign game art with the aspiration of going pro, and I know this is not the focus of Pixelation so I apologize for pushing the issue so many times. This place really just isn't for me anymore. And most of the artists I really admired left long ago anyway. Enjoy your forum, guys.

Enough of this. If Janus can't be honest about the game, then where are we going to set the bar?? I wish Janus was more of a pixeler, that way his review could have contained some critique of the artwork, but I can't fault him for not doing that because he's not really a pixeler. If a professional review site rates it badly, will you send a letter to complain about the reviewer's lack of tact Sals? Personally, I don't buy games based on reviews. It's like making music purchases based on who fares well in the MTV awards. Where are we going to end up here?? Dragonmax did a number of barbie style games, but he doesn't  expect us to worship the games he did just because he was a member... and he'd prefer we not bring them up I think.

Go make a rant about it and post it in your sig, Pep. See ya!

- Adam

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 19, 2005, 05:17:00 am
First,
Quote from: AdamTierney
Go make a rant about it and post it in your sig, Pep. See ya!
bad form.

Second, sir, the impression many members here (including myself) have of you is of a seasoned freelance pixeler who is used to unsolicited criticism.  Your reaction to Janus' review is very surprising to me as it shows a level of immaturity I honestly thought you were above.  I get the impression due to your standing in this community you expected the same hollow, substanceless praise that we as members with a concern for the quality of posts here are trying to eliminate. Not only that, but when a single post goes against those expectations, you attempt to discredit their opinion as well as the entire forum as being a mere hobbyist's refuge, even when it was admittedly your own stepping stone? You went from insulting a single mod, to insulting all the mods, to insulting the entire forum, all in a few short replies.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #38 on: August 19, 2005, 05:41:02 am
wow, i've always liked sals, especially his styles, and i think everyone needs to kiss and make up, because i hate seeing people get run off because everyones ego's are too big.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #39 on: August 19, 2005, 06:10:45 am
Second, sir, the impression many members here (including myself) have of you is of a seasoned freelance pixeler who is used to unsolicited criticism.  Your reaction to Janus' review is very surprising to me as it shows a level of immaturity I honestly thought you were above.  I get the impression due to your standing in this community you expected the same hollow, substanceless praise that we as members with a concern for the quality of posts here are trying to eliminate. Not only that, but when a single post goes against those expectations, you attempt to discredit their opinion as well as the entire forum as being a mere hobbyist's refuge, even when it was admittedly your own stepping stone? You went from insulting a single mod, to insulting all the mods, to insulting the entire forum, all in a few short replies.

Issues between me and this forum go back a long way. This is just a culmination of the frustration I've felt here for a few years now, stemming from the same reasons most everyone I knew here left long ago. It's not about praise. I've never expected or asked for praise. I made this thread because I was incredibly proud of the work of Gustav, Ben and Josh. Janus came in and gave what I felt was a curt critique that wasn't necessary in a forum like this. Do I write places that review my games poorly? Of course not. They're reviewers. But I also never ever make critiques in a forum like Pixelation that could be taken poorly. Pixelation is a forum for growing and development, and dropping by to say a game someone worked on is awful has absolutely no merit. I see it not as a personal attack, but a black mark on a celebratory thread for three pixellers I hold in the very highest regard. He's not commenting on poor art, but his post added nothing and took a shot at something the four of us worked very hard on. That was unecessary. I've never done that, and if it was done to someone else I would've called foul on it immediately.

As for Pep, whatever. I realize I'm going out on a low note, but I think he's a tremendous pixeller who has a completely schewed perspective on game art and a sour attitude. A cheap shot at him is childish on my part but this is my last thread on Pixelation so I felt like venting. To the rest of you, and to him I suppose, good luck, draw what you love and know that you can accomplish anything.

- Adam
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 06:15:56 am by AdamTierney »

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #40 on: August 19, 2005, 06:19:11 am
well spoken adam, im proud.
alexander

Offline janus

• spiders
    • antumbral
    • View Profile
    • luminance

Reply #41 on: August 19, 2005, 06:23:58 am
Do I write places that review my games poorly? Of course not. They're reviewers. But I also never ever make critiques in a forum like Pixelation that could be taken poorly. Pixelation is a forum for growing and development, and dropping by to say a game someone worked on is awful has absolutely no merit.
Whoa, man. When did I say your game was awful? All I said is that it wasn't any fun. It's not like I can do anything about whether or not I enjoy it; it's very likely that maybe the later portions of the game are more enjoyable, or perhaps it's just not my kind of game. I gave it a try for an hour or two and I told you what I thought. If you didn't want to hear what we thought about the game, well... why did you post a thread then?

I honestly was going to write a longer review, but I felt you'd be offended if I made any direct criticisms of the game, so I kept it short and to the point. Perhaps that was a mistake.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #42 on: August 19, 2005, 09:14:50 am
As it looks rather unlikely that Adam is going to reply and everything that had to be said was said in this thread (and other things too) I'm locking it.

If you wanna go on discussing do it via PM.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.