AuthorTopic: Introductions  (Read 320538 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Introductions

Reply #200 on: January 10, 2007, 04:43:50 am
Gabber is about the worst kind of "musik" ever imo. I can not imagine that anyone can enjoy it without being full with drugs to the level of virtual brainmalfunction. Some people also call it Hardcore.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jpvykBHClc4&mode=related&search=
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #201 on: January 10, 2007, 05:19:54 am
I'm not big on formalities, but whatever. My name's Stephen, I hail from the east coast of the United States. I spend most of my time couped up in my room fiddling away with various projects which will most likely never see the light of day. Instead of pixeling my own works I spend most of my time here editing other's work or just critiquing. I'm a cynic and a bastard (when not online, mostly) and am especially bitter towards my peers. Whatever you see on here is my 'good side.' I'm most sane when in front of a computer monitor.  I won't get into my musical preference because I have nothing to prove and I don't care how much more elite you are than me.

Cheers.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #202 on: January 10, 2007, 12:48:10 pm
Oh, and Helm: Iron Maiden, At the Gates, Kreator, Kataklysm, Dark Tranquility, Hypocrisy Callenish Circle, Kalmah, Bolt Thrower, DISMEMBER

That's a good mix of the old and the new, all metal too. What about Dismember? Like an Ever-flowing Stream is one of the best swedish death metal albums of all time. SKIN HER FUCKIN' ALIVE and all. I personally find Kataklysm waaay too clicky for my tastes and I stopped listening to Dark Tranquility by Enter Suicidal Angels or aboutso, dunno how ridiculous they might have become today.

Be careful with too much of the burly death metal, it's pretty monochromatic really. For Heavy Metal to give you all it can you need juxtaposition from the harsh to the weird, and from the weird to the soothing (yes, such Heavy Metal exists) so on. Don't become a blastbeat fiend.

Dragonforce

Bubblegum bullshit. They look like a metal band. They play like a metal band. But they're soulless. Sadly such is the path of almost all latter-period power metal. The old stuff deserves your attention, though. More below.

Are there any bands that the mighty Helm imposes upon me?

Let's see.

Fates Warning, Heir Apparent, Diamond Head, Omen, Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Sanctuary, Slauter Xstroyes, Brocas Helm, early Angra, Lord Weird Slough Feg, Savage Grace, Heathen, Attacker, The Hammers of Misfortune, Andramelch (ITA, NOT the death metal Adramelech), Liege Lord, Crimson Glory, Savatage, early Nevermore (up to Politics of Ecstasy), Lordian Guard, Maudlin of the Well,  Warlord, Cloven Hoof, Virgin Steele, The Vision Bleak, Helloween, Syris, Vicious Rumours, Agent Steel, Judas Priest (up to Painkiller of course), Jag Panzer, Queensryche, Symphony X, Rainbow and of course, the Black Sabbath.

All this has a soul, no monkeys aping the form or anything of the type. These are HEAVY METAL. Now, moving on:

Doom Metal (including doomdeath):

Candlemass, Memory Garden, Trouble, Pentagram,  St. Vitus, Thergothon, Esoteric, dISEMBOWELMENT, Shape of Despair, early My Dying Bride, Unholy, Forsaken, The 3rd and the Mortal, While Heaven Wept, Abstract Algebra, early Anathema, early Paradise Lost, Orphaned Land, Asunder, The Gault, Morgion, early Cathedral (up to and including Forest of Equillibrium), Doomsword, Evoken, Skepticism, Veni Domine, Dusk, Krux, Saturnus, Winter, Worship

Thrash and technothrash:

Dark Angel, Sieges Even, Sepultura, Anthrax, Destruction, Watchtower, Exodus,  Deathrow, Megace, Forbidden, Depressive Age, Flaming Anger, Calhoun Conquer, Mekong Delta, Thought Industry, Cyclone Temple, Annihilator, Believer, Artillery, Forced Entry, The Haunted (first album), Civil Defiance, Aftermath, Coroner, Assorted Heap, Invocator, Kinetic Dissent, Municipal Waste, Paradox, Sacred Reich, Sore Plexus, Stone, Testament, Windham Hell

Progressive Metal:

Psychotic Waltz, Fates Warning (later), Aghora, Sieges Even (later), Watchtower (later), Coroner (later),  Atrox, Behold... The Arctopus, Blind Idiot God, Conception, Frantic Bleep, Garden Wall, Gordian Knot, Cynic (later), Kayo Dot, Confessor, Loincloth, OSI, Saviour Machine, Shadow Gallery, Spastic Ink, Spiral Architect, Thought Industry (later), Verse and Radiation, Voivod

Death Metal:

Death, Autopsy, Demilich, Demigod, Torchure, Suffocation, Gorguts, Atrocity (early, for heaven's sake!) Asphyx, Kaamos, Grave, Dismember, Ripping Corpse, Dim Mak, Cynic, Atheist, Monstrosity, Incantation, Immolation, Malevolent Creation, The Chasm, Acid Bath, Human Remains, Crimson Massacre, Crypt of Kerberos, Disharmonic Orchestra, Edge of Sanity, Godflesh, Macabre, Martyr, Negativa, Mithras, Morgoth, Necrophagist, Nocturnus, Obituary, SUP, Tiamat

Black Metal:

Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, Bathory, Arcturus, Immortal, Averse Sefira, Blut Aus Nord, Taake, In the Woods..., Ulver, Weakling, Burzum (handle with care), Absu, Elend, Empyrium, Enslaved, Fleurety, Gehenna, Keep of Kalessin, Melechesh, Negative Plane, Rotting Christ (very early, demos and up to first album, PERHAPS), Dissection, Sacramentum, Samael, Sigh, Solefald, Ved Buens Ende

That's enough to keep you occupied to track down for a while. one band per genre is in bold. Start there. Even if that's all you check out from my list, you'll become a better person for it.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #203 on: January 10, 2007, 01:15:53 pm
Hello. My name is Frank Davies, and I range from the deepest reaches of England. I write, and pixel, and draw manga. I now worship Ryona's 1337 manga skillz.

I just caught this. You worship my manga skills? Why, thank you. But what the hell is 1337? It's that weird nerd language, right? What does my art have to do with that?  :huh:

I don't really hate women, I just feel a strong compulsion to murder them.

Wow. My mouth pretty much dropped open. lol

Anyway, I guess since I now posted in this thread, I have to introduce myself. Even though I don't think there's any point now since I've been here for a while now.
But ehh, here goes...

*raises from her chair*

Hello. My name is Ryona and I'm a pixelholic.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 01:18:39 pm by Ryona »

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #204 on: January 10, 2007, 01:16:54 pm
1337 is a stupid abomination of the word elite.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #205 on: January 10, 2007, 01:22:34 pm
I never liked it myself either. It annoys me when people use it because I don't understand it. And they think they're so funny and clever, but that just further annoys me.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #206 on: January 10, 2007, 01:59:45 pm
I now worship Ryona's 1337 manga skillz.

I just caught this. You worship my manga skills? Why, thank you. But what the hell is 1337? It's that weird nerd language, right? What does my art have to do with that?  :huh:

Anyway, I guess since I now posted in this thread, I have to introduce myself. Even though I don't think there's any point now since I've been here for a while now.
But ehh, here goes...

*raises from her chair*

Hello. My name is Ryona and I'm a pixelholic.

Greets in unison: Hello Ryona. We're here to help you.

By the way, I also hate Internet slang. I don't get the meaning of "1337", and I think "pwned" or any or version of it is the dumbest thing I've heard, yet. I guess I'm just not hip with the youngsters or something(even though I'm only 20...).

@Helm: Wow. Looks like I got some studying to do. Thanks for extra input, and time, I'll be sure to check some of these folks out.

@Ptoing:....what...the...hell...was that noise? It's official, I hate Gabber also.
my back hurts...

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #207 on: January 10, 2007, 04:01:20 pm
O my :'( I grew up with Hardcore (heh, guess that's what you get when raised in Holland :-\) so I am used to the "noise", yes it's absolutely awful :(. But other than that I've no problem with it  :P

in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #208 on: January 11, 2007, 02:10:57 am
+h3r3s n0th!n6 w20n6 w!+h 3e!n6 1337.
! 4/\/\ ub3|2-1337, p|-|34|2 /\/\3

Haha, anyway, I don't think anyone speaks leet seriously anymore, so I don't have a problem with it.
It's sort of like typing incorrectly on purpose, or with a dialect, as a break from the norm, for sarcasm, or just for fun.
Like ending -ing words with -in'. Or saying "ne'er."

I used to say "woot woot!" whenever something cool happened

...Gah, I feel so lame.

Uh, pwnd is a variation of owned, which probably came from people typing too fast.

Metal is cool and all, but I can't take too much straight metal for long. It gets buggy after about 10 minutes. (aka, 1 track)
I used to hate rap, but then I realized that it wasn't all that mainstream, overtelevised, stereotyipicality crap and started listening to Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, Immortal Technique, and Saul Williams.
Sometimes, but rarely, I feel in the mood for some punk.
Ska is terrible.
I don't understand why they call alternative alternative. What is it an alternative to? What does it alternate between?
Orchestral is cool for studying.
I like most all techno. D&B, Happy Hardcore, Trance, whatever.
Blues and jazz are cool if they're done right.
So is industrial.
Wierd Al roxxorz.
So do TMBGiants.

Offline Conexion

• Pixel Penguin
    • View Profile

Reply #209 on: January 11, 2007, 07:32:40 am
Hey there everyone. Alright, so I've been browsing this forum for awhile, but I've decided it is about time to make a first post.

My username is Conexion but usernames feel impersonal so just call me David. I started digital art as a little hobby somewhere around 5th grade; trying to imitate my favorite SNES games (then favorite N64 games soon after). Eventually it turned into something that took quite a bit of my time... well, that and music. After graduation I left art for a long while and was busy with life, work, etc... but recently have been trying to get back into it as I pursue a Business and Music major while at college. It doesn't leave a lot of time for long projects, but I try to make time for what I can.

As far as pixel work goes, I don't have a lot on the Internet, but I do have a deviantART account with plenty of work (including some pixel work) on it. You can visit that - If you are interested - at http://conexion.deviantart.com

Anyways, that's that. If there is anything I should know, just fill me in. Thanks! :y: